IBEH review on Manchester Online...

the rebirth of morrissey's popularity being puzzling?

yes, but think of that as the power of the internet.

had it not been for sites like this one, i'm sure the world at large would assume that the interest in morrissey had faded dead away.

yet, journalists come here and see that a place such as this one is thriving. it inspires them to write an article, promote it here, and the result is people run out and buy it, and they can accurately measure what the fans are like, what sort of devotion they have (if they return often instead of visiting once every 2 weeks.

it's a great bit of promotion. how many people here would otherwise know that Tokion had an interview with him? or Mojo? how many people here would go and thumb through Uncut in hopes that he appears in a short article? if it causes Q to sell 2 more issues, then that is still worth it for them.

how many people would know that he is on tour? they can now ask $50 a ticket because they know that more people are aware of the tour, and so, there is more demand for tickets. in the past, it would simply be people living in Los Angeles and a few diehards that stalk to no end, but now, average people can know about a show in Denmark and go fly there if they want.

and god knows why, of all of the artists out there, enough people still were willing to hang out here despite nearly 2 years of news like "Gene said morrissey's name...again!" but it happened.

i'm glad it's finally happened. when i first became a fan back in '94, i was coming in on the downslide, far from the immediacy of the thrill of buying a brand new Smiths' album and simply regarding it as the aura of the legend. far from the mystery of "what will moz do next" when waiting for Suedehead to hit the shelves. he was a man that simply the history was written in books and magazines whose articles i found buried on websites. it faded and trailed from stories about boxers to his pulling out of Bowie's tour, to his unhappy and ill-fated maladjusted tour.

i'm glad that now i'm getting to experience the man i had heard so much about.

Back
Top Bottom