IANADOAC - lyrics discussion thread (now with added lyrics!)

I'm still a little skeptical that Alain actually did that. It just seems like some dramatic flair Morrissey threw in for good measure.
if it was it would be easy for alain to rebuke that story but he never has.

Who would be planning his downfall? Who would it benefit? (Apart from stalkers who hate him & hacks who want to write about downfalls).
could be the imp from list of the lost trying to take revenge for having been rejected in his physical advances.

Interesting, wrt Hug a Pillow, I don't know why but I got a slight whiff of Bowie's Laughing Gnome (the trumpet part); bizarre but true, so I've convinced myself it's about Bowie.
I played laughing gnome last week and your right theres a similarity with the trumpets,dont know if its about bowie but for a song that was panned when it was leaked its turned into my favourite on the album.

One wonders about the state of affairs with Boz. No co-writes, he doesn't appear on every song and his contributions on many songs seem incidental.

Interestingly, in Morrissey's abbreviations, the acoustic guitar picks up an extra c ("Acc Guitar").

Boz has got two studios, one in Portugal and one in the UK, where he is involved in making records with various bands and artists, he runs a record shop in London, and writes and and plays as a solo artists as well as with his wife's band. He's not far off 60 himself so perhaps he's not too fussed about getting his fingerprints all over Moz's latest album, as he's made a major contribution to the last ten!

Boz has got two studios, one in Portugal and one in the UK, where he is involved in making records with various bands and artists, he runs a record shop in London, and writes and and plays as a solo artists as well as with his wife's band. He's not far off 60 himself so perhaps he's not too fussed about getting his fingerprints all over Moz's latest album, as he's made a major contribution to the last ten!

Not only that but I believe Boz's mother recently passed away. Who knows, maybe Boz was dealing with family issues during the time of recording?

I'm currently re-reading List Of The Lost and this part caught my eye. There are some similarities to the lyrics of Bobby, Don't You Think They Know?

"Another night passed at Ledger’s Bar as a small, ageless figure ripe from the underground spoke cautiously to Harri. 'I’ve got what you want,' it said.
'You … what?' asked Harri, looking down from his barstool.

'Horse, snow, white sugar, brown sugar, aitch, Mexican mud, Chinese red … black Russian, blond Lebanese …' The little mud puppy squirreled on. There came a thoughtful pause as Harri examined this running dog, a twirl of a scag-trade pharmacy. 'But do you have enough?' asked Harri..."

I'm currently re-reading List Of The Lost and this part caught my eye. There are some similarities to the lyrics of Bobby, Don't You Think They Know?

"Another night passed at Ledger’s Bar as a small, ageless figure ripe from the underground spoke cautiously to Harri. 'I’ve got what you want,' it said.
'You … what?' asked Harri, looking down from his barstool.

'Horse, snow, white sugar, brown sugar, aitch, Mexican mud, Chinese red … black Russian, blond Lebanese …' The little mud puppy squirreled on. There came a thoughtful pause as Harri examined this running dog, a twirl of a scag-trade pharmacy. 'But do you have enough?' asked Harri..."

I like the way he re-uses things & it makes them stranger.

Felled is also used apparently when you’re killed by an assassin

I like the way he re-uses things & it makes them stranger.
He does re-use phrases a lot. There are so many pieces in List Of The Lost that are reminiscent of Autobiography in wording and also lots of lines from both books have appeared in lyrics later on in some variation or other.

He does re-use phrases a lot. There are so many pieces in List Of The Lost that are reminiscent of Autobiography in wording and also lots of lines from both books have appeared in lyrics later on in some variation or other.

I'd love to know his process. Either these phrases stick in his mind, or he keeps old notebooks & looks back at them.

I'd love to know his process. Either these phrases stick in his mind, or he keeps old notebooks & looks back at them.

Yes it would be interesting to know.

I've read that back in The Smiths early days (& pre-Smiths days) he used notebooks for jotting down lines, quotes, phrases, etc., & in interviews he always seemed to say (in his best posh voice) that he spent many hours in his room 'writing furiously'...which always made me smile at the almost pompous way he used to say it. But am thinking, if he'd continued that throughout the many years since, he must have a mini-library of sorts, which might not be practical. I wonder if he uses tech nowadays to compile notes as opposed to hard copy?

His archived notes & scribblings would certainly make an interesting read if they were ever to be published.

He used to say that he always carries a notebook and he also used to write his ideas on pieces and scraps of paper.
There's this picture of him with a piece of paper which was ripped from a book of poetry or something and on that piece of paper he had written a line that would appear in Now My Heart Is Full years later (I'm not sure when exactly the picture was taken. It looks 1985-ish to me but I could be wrong about that.) The line itself is lifted from "At the beating of a drum" by Henry Lawson.
That's how I always imagined him keeping his ideas/inspirations to be honest :LOL:
I guess it's likely that he uses his phone or computer or whatever now to keep notes as well.
received_4132180293474213.jpeg

Yes it would be interesting to know.

I've read that back in The Smiths early days (& pre-Smiths days) he used notebooks for jotting down lines, quotes, phrases, etc., & in interviews he always seemed to say (in his best posh voice) that he spent many hours in his room 'writing furiously'...which always made me smile at the almost pompous way he used to say it. But am thinking, if he'd continued that throughout the many years since, he must have a mini-library of sorts, which might not be practical. I wonder if he uses tech nowadays to compile notes as opposed to hard copy?

His archived notes & scribblings would certainly make an interesting read if they were ever to be published.

I'd love it.

Apart from anything else I always ask what people's systems are because my notebooks are a mess.

I'd love it.

Apart from anything else I always ask what people's systems are because my notebooks are a mess.

I'm a Gemini like Moz, & like structure, process, methodology, systems, so I'm sure he might have an equally structured way in which he works.

He used to say that he always carries a notebook and he also used to write his ideas on pieces and scraps of paper.
There's this picture of him with a piece of paper which was ripped from a book of poetry or something and on that piece of paper he had written a line that would appear in Now My Heart Is Full years later (I'm not sure when exactly the picture was taken. It looks 1985-ish to me but I could be wrong about that.) The line itself is lifted from "At the beating of a drum" by Henry Lawson.
That's how I always imagined him keeping his ideas/inspirations to be honest :LOL:
I guess it's likely that he uses his phone or computer or whatever now to keep notes as well.
View attachment 55490

Fabulous.

That's pretty much my system, but I'm always hoping to wake up one day & keep everything neatly on index cards, spreadsheets & pin boards.

I'm a Gemini like Moz, & like structure, process, methodology, systems, so I'm sure he might have an equally structured way in which he works.
I'm sure whatever system he has makes sense/appears structured to him.

I'm an Aquarius. I'm not sure if that's an explanation for how untidy I am.

Back
Top Bottom