IANADOAC - lyrics discussion thread (now with added lyrics!)

Famous when dead

Vulgarian

The text itself is a bit wonky. No scanner, so phone snaps. I can't see what happened to the zoom tool since upgrade, but if you save the image you want - it will be fully readable.
The partial bit of Dog On... is due to it not being super readable - so close up.
Any ambiguous lyric issues can now be solved.
Another Liam Lynch cover - no matrix message on the black or red vinyl.
No download code in the gate-fold CD/Red/Black vinyl LP.

We've sifted through the details of the 3 'instant grats' recently, but please feel free to mull over any potential inspirations and ideas behind the album's lyrics.

My own offering:
In My Hurling Days Are Done the only real reference out there in the world to '...but soon it explains what it means by the Funky Alfonso'
is the first 6 seconds of this:

Which would be pretty obscure for even Moz, but...
The link here is Joe Chiccarelli - who worked with Zappa (recording / mixing 7 albums).
So, maybe an in-joke - unless anyone has any other ideas?
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Am I hearing Jim Jim Falls properly - "felled up from hell"? As in, a Moz-ism butchering of "fell down"?

"I use my own brain" reminded me of Ian Brown's "Own Brain" (being an anagram of his name) - a song with the song theme.

I've got my own brain, I got the one aim
I've got my own brain, an anagram of my own name

We've sifted through the details of the 3 'instant grats' recently, but please feel free to mull over any potential inspirations and ideas behind the album's lyrics.

My own offering:
In My Hurling Days Are Done the only real reference out there in the world to '...but soon it explains what it means by the Funky Alfonso'

The link here is Joe Chiccarelli - who worked with Zappa (recording / mixing 7 albums).
Regards,
FWD.

Heck of a catch.
Was wonderin' what that was about.
Could be a reference to the name of the song Father O'Blivion.
Like Father Time is Father O'Blivion.
In time ye shall be forgotten.

Am I hearing Jim Jim Falls properly - "felled up from hell"? As in, a Moz-ism butchering of "fell down"?
in down under all's upside down, also grammatically.
world-map-upside-down-new.jpg

england, i.e. hell, is down, [m]oz is up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone explain the song what kind of people live in these houses to me? Part of my problem is I can't make out all the lyrics.

Can someone explain the song what kind of people live in these houses to me? Part of my problem is I can't make out all the lyrics.
Some people live sheltered lives and do as their parents do. Be it the way they vote or the way they f***. These people will never change, they scoff at change, they are afraid of change. Who are these people? Well, actually they drag us all down and backwards with them, so who cares who these people are...

I thought it was fell up? As if he was so deeply depressed that being suicidal was going up & not down.

It's like Ordinary Boys, it's him looking at ordinary life (in ordinary houses) & rejecting it.

Although Dagenham Dave does suggest he's quite envious of it. Never having to question or fight a single thing.

It's like Ordinary Boys, it's him looking at ordinary life (in ordinary houses) & rejecting it.

Although Dagenham Dave does suggest he's quite envious of it. Never having to question or fight a single thing.

Dagenham's a shit hole now. Thanks to your lot. :p

What is he singing after "mama and teddy bear" in "Hurling"? "Was the first full...." I can't quite make the rest of it out.

Some people live sheltered lives and do as their parents do. Be it the way they vote or the way they f***. These people will never change, they scoff at change, they are afraid of change. Who are these people? Well, actually they drag us all down and backwards with them, so who cares who these people are...

Isn't it a distant cousin Ordinary Boys Part then?
That song also referred to people happily living a life that they have always known (e.g through their parents), having no ambition to differ or try anything new, happy knowing nothing (which has now become happy borrowing their vews from watching TV).

My own offering:

Regards,
FWD.

It must be that. I can't see there being many other Funky Alfonzos.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was fell up? As if he was so deeply depressed that being suicidal was going up & not down.

Whether its fell or feld or whatever, this is how I took the lyrics too. Just a play on words that Earth/living/wherever he is now is 'hell'. So falling to his death only improves things whether thats heaven or nothingness or whatever.

One thing I'd like to know more about, and maybe it's a British thing, but what are "20 number 10's" from 'River' ? I Understand in the song he's buying Metal Guru by T-Rex, but what is Grandmother buying?

Back
Top Bottom