Ian McCulloch and Arctic Monkeys reference Morrissey / The Smiths in concert

McCulloch from the Echo And The Bunnymen mentions Morrissey before playing Killing Moon in Toronto, Sept. 2022.
00:38 is the exact moment.

Update (Thanks to @Aubrey McFate for the transcription):
"Hey, brilliant, this is great. I think you should all move to England and come to all our concerts. It'd be great, honest. A lovely array of different types of people and styles and all that. So yeah, once again, I was, um, well, not was—I been decreeing some often brilliant-type things. And whatever Morrissey says, I'll say the opposite, 'cos he's a woeful idiot."
---
Arctic Monkeys do a snippet of This Charming Man in Istanbul, August 2022
2:15 is the exact moment.

Last edited:
What does he say? Who are brilliant?
Ian McCulloch is brillian, didn’t you know that?
He also wrote the best f*cking song ever written (the killing loon). At least that is what I remember him saying at earlier concerts.
He wrote some very good songs and has a certain kind of English coolnes, but modesty has never been his strength.

Just out of curiosity, did Ian McCulloch ever like Morrissey?
Based on my recollection, I would say that they have always been rivals.

Ian McCulloch is brillian, didn’t you know that?
He also wrote the best f*cking song ever written (the killing loon). At least that is what I remember him saying at earlier concerts.
He wrote some very good songs and has a certain kind of English coolnes,

but modesty has never been his strength.

Seems to be trying to make up for the lack he feels in himself. If the alcohol isn’t helping.

They wrote a couple good songs, were hits, that’s all. They were never on the same level as The Smiths or even The Cure.

Just out of curiosity, did Ian McCulloch ever like Morrissey?
Based on my recollection, I would say that they have always been rivals.
I think they might have once done a joint NME cover (or similar) and were interviewed together and it was all pretty positive. Guessing that was early Smiths days as I think McCulloch started slagging Morrissey off soon after (or at least back in the 80s).

Does he really think that at Morrissey concerts you can only meet white, shaved bald men with far right party pins? Poor old man ...

I think they might have once done a joint NME cover (or similar) and were interviewed together and it was all pretty positive. Guessing that was early Smiths days as I think McCulloch started slagging Morrissey off soon after (or at least back in the 80s).
Yep, I seem to remember the latter. And in the 80s, it was quite common to slag of your contemporaines. Morrissey was no stranger to this eithe.

I have seen him quite drunk on stage and then he’d say just anything.

You’re putting the bar quite high here, but agree.

Yes, but that’s the bar the bunny man thinks he’s allowed into.

I've always thought Echo and the Bunnymen were highly overrated. And truth is (allegedly) Ian's problem thru this tour has been booze, he has been drunk off his ass. I post in a group where someone has a friend who is on the crew and it's been a nightmare, according to said friend. He's had to be removed from the stage a few times or helped out to it. Also, his voice has gone to shit, thankfully he is not doing what he was about ten years ago and smoking cigarettes during shows while he attemped to sing.

He said "the Queen's f***ing brilliant" and that Morrissey is a "f***ing idiot".
His point about saying the opposite of Morrissey is presumably a reference to The Queen is Dead.

What’s the time stamp for “the Queen’s f*cking brilliant”? I didn’t hear it.

It's at 33/34 seconds. A little hard to make out but fairly certain that's what he says, and it makes sense in the context of challenging Morrissey's view.

Yes, difficult to make out, but I’m hearing “I was decreeing some f***ing brilliant brilliant-type things,” which seems to finish the “I was” train of thought, and would also make sense in the context of comparing himself to Morrissey, who he considers an idiot. But who knows what a drunkard is trying to say.

Ian is a good friend of mine and I'm pretty sure he's not drunk in this clip. He really doesn't drink much when he's about to go on stage. His accent is hard-core working class Scouse and that is simply how he sounds when he's speaking. He was talking about the Queen and I agree that he was making a reference to The Queen is Dead.

What he actually said was "The new Suede album Autofiction is out today on grey or black vinyl, CD, and on streaming platforms."
Suede just keep making great album after great album! Bloodsports was an insane comeback and ever since have been gold :)

My friend and I recently drove 5.5 hours to sit through IM's shitshow of a performance. For most of the set, he sat nearly unconscious on a stool – moving only to drink from one of about 10 glasses he had next to him. His voice sounded really bad. Between songs, he mumbled about god knows what (hell, maybe he was slamming Morrissey then, too). He said "cheers!" about a dozen times. It was incredibly depressing and somewhat infuriating, TBH. The crowd was practically comatose, too. Even their merch sucked.

And now reading this, after seeing M in Vegas recently and comparing the experiences, is a bridge too far for me.

IM isn't even 25% of the talent/performer that M is. I enjoy E&TB's music but agree that it's slight when compared to The Smiths or The Cure. Also, if he was sick – that is unfortunate – but he should have canceled to recover. Also, wasn't aware that being drunk and rude are side effects of Covid.

My friend and I recently drove 5.5 hours to sit through IM's shitshow of a performance. For most of the set, he sat nearly unconscious on a stool – moving only to drink from one of about 10 glasses he had next to him. His voice sounded really bad. Between songs, he mumbled about god knows what (hell, maybe he was slamming Morrissey then, too). He said "cheers!" about a dozen times. It was incredibly depressing and somewhat infuriating, TBH. The crowd was practically comatose, too. Even their merch sucked.

And now reading this, after seeing M in Vegas recently and comparing the experiences, is a bridge too far for me.

IM isn't even 25% of the talent/performer that M is. I enjoy E&TB's music but agree that it's slight when compared to The Smiths or The Cure. Also, if he was sick – that is unfortunate – but he should have canceled to recover. Also, wasn't aware that being drunk and rude are side effects of Covid.
He can't sing live either. Any clip I've seen online including Jools Holland he's off key constantly. I do like their albums though.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom