Ian McCulloch and Arctic Monkeys reference Morrissey / The Smiths in concert

McCulloch from the Echo And The Bunnymen mentions Morrissey before playing Killing Moon in Toronto, Sept. 2022.
00:38 is the exact moment.

Update (Thanks to @Aubrey McFate for the transcription):
"Hey, brilliant, this is great. I think you should all move to England and come to all our concerts. It'd be great, honest. A lovely array of different types of people and styles and all that. So yeah, once again, I was, um, well, not was—I been decreeing some often brilliant-type things. And whatever Morrissey says, I'll say the opposite, 'cos he's a woeful idiot."
---
Arctic Monkeys do a snippet of This Charming Man in Istanbul, August 2022
2:15 is the exact moment.

Last edited:
Since when?
Well - every time I have have been backstage over the last few years. That's at least a dozen times, including a few times this year.

Cancelling gigs is easier said than done. A lot of people have a lot of money invested in a tour like this. The band are often the ones with the least say in the matter.

You're right, it's "I mean, the Queen's f***ing brilliant... and whatever Morrissey says I'll say the opposite because he's a f***ing idiot".

Trust Aubrey to hear words like "decreeing" and "woeful" when they're not even there :laughing:

He's not drunk he's Liverpudlian!
Thing is Morrissey hasn't said shit about the Queen this century and I know it's a low bar but the fact that he hasn't stuck the knife in after she died is a classy move I'll take happily.

I love early Bunnymen and some of the later band/solo stuff but Ian has turned into a knobhead. I saw him about 6 yrs ago at my local arts theater and he was ranting/moaning about that interview they did together in 1985????? Give it a rest, you alco.
I really like the album they did where he was MIA too :)

Like it or not the gig was insane. He sounded super. Yeah lots of booze but who cares? At least he's not racist. Really enjoyed his performance and jokes.

He is usually incomprehensible but that I actually heard.
You're absolutely correct!! Ian has such a heavy brougue when simply speaking. It's always been like that. Yet when he sings you can clearly understand him. 🤔

I thought you did, since you decided to speak on the matter.
What are the updates? He's against the monarchy? It's not really been something that's going to radically change news wise, hence my not giving a shit. It is only interesting now because the Queen has died and thankfully he said nothing.

Love Moz and Mac. Whocares what the whiney, over-sensitive masses say.

I am glad Mac is ruffling feathers.
I too am not a fan of Morressy.
The Smiths, brilliant. Moz, not so much.

Moz speaks the harsh truth. It's not for the thin-skinned wankers. Ian is talented but can sound like an idiot at times too.

What Ian said didn't make any sense...much like many of his lyrics over the course of his career. Huge fan however...Ocean Rain is a masterpiece of the 80's and in my top 10 albums of all time.

You're absolutely correct!! Ian has such a heavy brougue when simply speaking. It's always been like that. Yet when he sings you can clearly understand him. 🤔
Exactly and.....The alcohol makes it even heavier. ;)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom