Ian Curtis - Carved a Smile?

In David Bret's 'Morrissey: Scandal and Passion' he makes a reference to Joy Division and Ian Curtis, stating that Curtis 'carved a smile' in his face before committing suicide. I just wanted to see whether anyone knows whether this is this actually true? I have never heard this anywhere else, and I have read Ian's biography written by Deborah Curtis.

p.s. I am aware that this curiosity is slightly morbid.

In David Bret's 'Morrissey: Scandal and Passion' he makes a reference to Joy Division and Ian Curtis, stating that Curtis 'carved a smile' in his face before committing suicide. I just wanted to see whether anyone knows whether this is this actually true? I have never heard this anywhere else, and I have read Ian's biography written by Deborah Curtis.

p.s. I am aware that this curiosity is slightly morbid.

i think its an urban myth ... i havent read it anywhere else , phill should know

phill should know

Why? Was I there?:confused::D

Well having read quite a number of books / interviews / watched documentaries and two films etc etc that is the first I've heard of that incident. I'm pretty sure it would have been aired in many places had it happend rather than a few lines in a book on Morrissey.

I've read the Bret book too and surprised i didn't see that quote.... what page is it on?

Jukebox Jury

I remember reading this and being somewhat surprised. I've read more books about Joy Division than is healthy and I've never heard this anywhere else. Sounds like morbid crap to me. As if Curtis killing himself at 23 wasn't bad enough.

Back
Top Bottom