Ian Brown's tweet upsets some people - it reminds them of Morrissey

When Twitter had its first pile on. I wonder when it'll occur to them it's Twitter that's repellant.
Also many of these people are in glass houses.

Not sure it was Twitter that caused the ill feelings toward Morrissey.

It does seem to be a self affirming lefty/woke cesspit so each one of these type of tweets reinforces the narrative - one suspects they couldn’t actually say what Morrissey did that they object to - it’s just part of the story now and to be cool you must sign up for this idea. Repeat with BLM, global warming lie etc

It does seem to be a self affirming lefty/woke cesspit so each one of these type of tweets reinforces the narrative - one suspects they couldn’t actually say what Morrissey did that they object to - it’s just part of the story now and to be cool you must sign up for this idea. Repeat with BLM, global warming lie etc

I agree with what you are saying but it was his ill informed opinions that started the ball rolling.

It is Twitter. It's an outrage machine that pushes everyone into tribes that have to agree on the issues they rage about & which mercilessly looks for people to monster & exclude. It does no research & allows no mitigation.

Scanlan has been part of the gender debate & has been called a far right transphobe. At its worst point she could have been fired & in some jobs still would be. So I'm surprised none of them think or have checked what issues he really has instead of just going with the smear. No one is leftie on almost everything & then goes fascist with a pin.

I agree with what you are saying but it was his ill informed opinions that started the ball rolling.

Some of them aren't that ill-informed though - they're just coming from a different angle.

Some of them aren't that ill-informed though - they're just coming from a different angle.

Maybe but people interpret things in different ways and Morrissey never explains what or why he is thinking in a particular way.

It is Twitter. It's an outrage machine that pushes everyone into tribes that have to agree on the issues they rage about & which mercilessly looks for people to monster & exclude. It does no research & allows no mitigation.

Scanlan has been part of the gender debate & has been called a far right transphobe. At its worst point she could have been fired & in some jobs still would be. So I'm surprised none of them think or have checked what issues he really has instead of just going with the smear. No one is leftie on almost everything & then goes fascist with a pin.

Morrissey comments on his support for For Britain appeared in virtually every news outlet, twitter comments followed after.

Morrissey comments on his support for For Britain appeared in virtually every news outlet, twitter comments followed after.

The press coverage was for Twitter. It was cut n paste outrage clickbait. No one asked any deeper questions about what & why because it didn't matter. It was driving traffic.

The press coverage was for Twitter. It was cut n paste outrage clickbait. No one asked any deeper questions about what & why because it didn't matter. It was driving traffic.

You've lost me, I read the papers and not twitter?

Twitter requires 1-line, simple arguments. Morrissey is more complicated than that. Certainly for the likes of twitter people quoted above....

Right on cue:

Their business model is aimed at getting clicks online because print is dying. And because investigations are expensive & increasingly prosecuted & news breaks online they have more opinion pieces in print than ever before.

Twitter requires 1-line, simple arguments. Morrissey is more complicated than that. Certainly for the likes of twitter people quoted above....

That is absolutely true. He doesn't fit into any boxes - the one slogan that does fit him Meat Is Murder has given people the wrong impression.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some more intellectualism

Their business model is aimed at getting clicks online because print is dying. And because investigations are expensive & increasingly prosecuted & news breaks online they have more opinion pieces in print than ever before.

Ah ok, its all a bit odd for me I saw Morrissey in The Smiths when your only news on any artists at that time was via NME, Sounds or Melody Maker, I only found out that Ian Curtis had passed away when Pete Shelley dedicated Strange Things to him at a Buzzcocks gig at Manchester Poly. Life was definitely more simple back then!

just looked and seen someone with one of them with a cool looking mask with the vents and everything

Mine doesn't have vents but I like it a lot!

A9ACF8DA-FA82-437E-A8A9-D42FB9EED0FA.jpeg

Jokes are fine, I don’t agree with what I perceive Ian has attempted to convey and so some light relief is understood. Moz being lumped in only shows how people say they can’t stand him but he is often on the edge of their tongue. But it’s when people start acting smug and high and mighty “I never liked them anyway and I’m glad I was proved right!” that I can’t understand, and makes them seem like unlikely know it alls who take pleasure when the enjoyment of others falters.

Back
Top Bottom