Ian Brown's truly solo gigs, thoughts?

Dirk Blaggard

Hi de hi Campers ,

So let's have it, what do we all think of Ian Brown going out with no band and just re recorded music?
On the one hand its brilliant business sense, in terms of overheads, on the over hand its taking the piss or is it?
I read someone say, Ian was always a hero for the under educated and that for all the talk of soul,vibe being real, it was always just about childish hero worship, grown men hero worshiping someone they liked as a teen
Which is probably true.
Now there is no one who does childish hero worship better than M, so should he do this, would we really care, should he take notes, go to his storage garage in Greater Manchester and dig out a few backing tracks from the smiths and then hit the road?
I think M could actually pull this off

Hi de hi Campers ,

So let's have it, what do we all think of Ian Brown going out with no band and just re recorded music?
On the one hand its brilliant business sense, in terms of overheads, on the over hand its taking the piss or is it?
I read someone say, Ian was always a hero for the under educated and that for all the talk of soul,vibe being real, it was always just about childish hero worship, grown men hero worshiping someone they liked as a teen
Which is probably true.
Now there is no one who does childish hero worship better than M, so should he do this, would we really care, should he take notes, go to his storage garage in Greater Manchester and dig out a few backing tracks from the smiths and then hit the road?
I think M could actually pull this off

I'd go see Morrissey, particularly if he could use the Smiths backing tracks that his band can't seem to reproduce. It's all about the man anyway, as you say. This would be a wonderful Greatest Hits Las Vegas show.

The irony here is that Ian Brown is a terrible singer, so taking the band out of the equation is an utterly stupid move. And since he didn't even announce the nature of this karaoke tour beforehand, I would have felt betrayed if I had bought a ticket.

When a musician goes out alone and does their band's songs completely alone, it's almost always awful

My yard stick for this is Billy Corgan and Bob Mould, after seeing both of them solo live once, I never wish to repeat it again! A girl can only stand so many 20 minute renditions of 1979 in a lifetime.

No chance, I'd never go and see him again if he did what Browns done.
As much, as I am way beyond the dumb "look I have Morrissey's signature and one of his eyelash hairs from 1985" fandom stage and I have never considered him a god or anything like that. I do love the guy.So I think I would go. I love the Smiths but really I don't give a shit about any of the people M makes music with, its all just about M and that's it
I love him and do not care about any of his band. They are of no importance to me.
I think M could pull this off and do it well, not like shitty Ian Brows but he could get some backing music made just for the tour, and do some back drops and just sing his heart out. I'd love it
Browns failed as its so half-arsed
M should keep this in mind, he could release the music himself and f*** the band off for live shows and still earn. All that being said, a gig is an energy between the singer, the band and the audience, you mess with that and at your pearl.
I think Ian has hit upon something here. He is saying "I am enough" and to some, he is, to some M is. Respect where its due, few can pull it off.
Anyway, thank you for answering

who is ian brown?
Probably one of the UK better pop icons, after M. In fact Ian's band, The Stone Roses, and Happy Mondays are the last original things to come out of Manchester- Oasis were a huge band but not original in the slightest.
In some ways I think its a shame M wasn't a bit more like Ian. You can tell Ian doesn't give a shit about the pop charts and shit like that, he's happy to just put his music out there. M is hung up on being popular and the pose= bit of a shame, at his age.
Also, Ian still has the sensibility M had in the smiths - in as much as "anti pop star" , man of the people- the irony is The Stone Roses ended up meaning more to the working-class UK, than the Smiths ever did - I much prefer the Smiths, of course.

The irony here is that Ian Brown is a terrible singer, so taking the band out of the equation is an utterly stupid move. And since he didn't even announce the nature of this karaoke tour beforehand, I would have felt betrayed if I had bought a ticket.
Exactly. Morrissey has one of the great voices in the history of popular music. Ian Brown literally can't sing a note. (As much as I loved the Roses.)

When a musician goes out alone and does their band's songs completely alone, it's almost always awful

My yard stick for this is Billy Corgan and Bob Mould, after seeing both of them solo live once, I never wish to repeat it again! A girl can only stand so many 20 minute renditions of 1979 in a lifetime.

I agree on the Bob Mould view, I saw him on his solo electric tour this year and it was ok but when he has Wurster and Narducy with him he is amazing.

I agree on the Bob Mould view, I saw him on his solo electric tour this year and it was ok but when he has Wurster and Narducy with him he is amazing.
Now that I've thought about it, it was mostly awful but Bob did get out his acoustic and did a really weird version of Husker Du's makes no sense at all that was really good

Probably one of the UK better pop icons, after M. In fact Ian's band, The Stone Roses, and Happy Mondays are the last original things to come out of Manchester- Oasis were a huge band but not original in the slightest.
In some ways I think its a shame M wasn't a bit more like Ian. You can tell Ian doesn't give a shit about the pop charts and shit like that, he's happy to just put his music out there. M is hung up on being popular and the pose= bit of a shame, at his age.
Also, Ian still has the sensibility M had in the smiths - in as much as "anti pop star" , man of the people- the irony is The Stone Roses ended up meaning more to the working-class UK, than the Smiths ever did - I much prefer the Smiths, of course.
the drug addict from stone roses ?

Well, that's a bit reductive, and Nixon era but yes him
It's true the Roses aren't as big in the USA and I expect you are one of those Yankee fans , so if you only know him as a "junkie " type fair enough.
Although Ian isn't a Junkie, he isn't a smack addict or anything M is hardly a stranger to drugs himself (in various forms) .

re " Ian Brown is a terrible singer,"
That was my point. Ian gave a half-arsed show and can't really sing. I must admit I couldn't take more than 3 songs and walked out but I did think M could probably pull it off.
He is, even more, of an Icon and he can actually sing. That was my general point, I think I would go if M did this and I expect I would enjoy it, which I didn't at Ian's gig.
I'm not saying I would enjoy it more than I do his gigs now, I'm just saying I bet M could pull it off
I do think Ian has opened the door to quite the question who do people go to see, what are they going to see, is it about music or spectacle?, is it simply an event?
As I say I didn't enjoy the Ian Brown gig and I have seen the Roses a couple of times and loved em, I have seen Ian a number of times, and he was great.
I should also say, although I thought it was a shit show for pissheads, a number of people I know said they had fun.

Anyways, I was just curious (orange)

PS Billy Corgan means nothing to me. I just do not enjoy his stuff, he seems empty Bob has a bit more to offer,

PS Billy Corgan means nothing to me. I just do not enjoy his stuff, he seems empty Bob has a bit more to offer,
I really liked Smashing Pumpkins first two albums, They were part of my life that involved a lot of festivals and questionable hair colour

i really prefer those feuding gallaghers.
Well, that's a bit reductive, and Nixon era but yes him
It's true the Roses aren't as big in the USA and I expect you are one of those Yankee fans , so if you only know him as a "junkie " type fair enough.
Although Ian isn't a Junkie, he isn't a smack addict or anything M is hardly a stranger to drugs himself (in various forms) .

That was my point. Ian gave a half-arsed show and can't really sing. I must admit I couldn't take more than 3 songs and walked out but I did think M could probably pull it off.
He is, even more, of an Icon and he can actually sing. That was my general point, I think I would go if M did this and I expect I would enjoy it, which I didn't at Ian's gig.
I'm not saying I would enjoy it more than I do his gigs now, I'm just saying I bet M could pull it off
I do think Ian has opened the door to quite the question who do people go to see, what are they going to see, is it about music or spectacle?, is it simply an event?
As I say I didn't enjoy the Ian Brown gig and I have seen the Roses a couple of times and loved em, I have seen Ian a number of times, and he was great.
I should also say, although I thought it was a shit show for pissheads, a number of people I know said they had fun.

Anyways, I was just curious (orange)
what?

Morrissey
Yes, Morrissey could pull it off, but it's not something any self-respecting musician should even try. However, Morrissey could try his hand at a "An evening with Morrissey" kind of thing with a more limited band, spoken word, questions & requests from the audience. That would be interesting, since his regular concerts are kind of getting old, just like he himself is.

Morrissey

Yes, Morrissey could pull it off, but it's not something any self-respecting musician should even try. However, Morrissey could try his hand at a "An evening with Morrissey" kind of thing with a more limited band, spoken word, questions & requests from the audience. That would be interesting, since his regular concerts are kind of getting old, just like he himself is.

I genuinely don't think he'd ever consider it, look how awkward he looks in one on one interviews, it would be a nightmare for him with just him on stage with some flashing lights and a backing tape. I also think he feeds off the vibe of a band, the recent shows were brilliant compared to the last few years and I reckon that was partly because of the current band line up.

Last edited:
Not awkward here, Let’s not forget one offs he’s not adverse to. His first love was the lone pop singer singing their heart out on a stage without a band

Though yes live on a tour he needs the support of a band the gang the energy, etc ..

Not awkward here, Let’s not forget one offs he’s not adverse to. His first love was the lone pop singer singing their heart out on a stage without a band

Though yes live on a tour he needs the support of a band the gang the energy, etc ..

This performance of Everyday Is Like Sunday is everything. Awkward in a way ... but at the same time not awkward at all. This meant the world to me. Where would I be without Morrissey and Brett (Anderson)? ❤️

Back
Top Bottom