Ian Astbury on Morrissey's Autobiography

IAN ASTBURY ON THE DEATH OF THE ROCK STAR - Esquire
And Morrissey and his love of street wear and why you'll definitely see new music from The Cult in 2014

Excerpt:

ESQ: So, Morrissey released his autobiography, and in it he mentions his early days playing in a band with [Cult guitarist] Billy Duffy. Have you read it, and if so, what did you think?

IA: I have no interest in it.

ESQ: No interest at all?

IA: No interest whatsoever. You'd have to ask Billy about that. I have no connection to him. I mean, I admire The Smiths, certainly, and Morrissey as well, but the only moment I ever had with Morrissey was when he did Your Arsenal with Mick Ronson producing, which I thought was an exceptional record. In terms of autobiographies, I've got Mike Tyson's autobiography right now. I'm much more interested in Mike Tyson than I am in Morrissey.

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments

nyc_midy

Ian Astbury (Cult/Doors) mentions Morrissey in Esquire Interview

You can read the entire interview here:

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/ian-astbury-interview?click=feed

Here is what he says about Moz:

ESQ: So, Morrissey released his autobiography, and in it he mentions his early days playing in a band with [Cult guitarist] Billy Duffy. Have you read it, and if so, what did you think?

IA: I have no interest in it.

ESQ: No interest at all?

IA: No interest whatsoever. You'd have to ask Billy about that. I have no connection to him. I mean, I admire The Smiths, certainly, and Morrissey as well, but the only moment I ever had with Morrissey was when he did Your Arsenal with Mick Ronson producing, which I thought was an exceptional record. In terms of autobiographies, I've got Mike Tyson's autobiography right now. I'm much more interested in Mike Tyson than I am in Morrissey.

All the best.

Mike

Guernie

He may be lux girl but that was a GREAT rendition of a Doors classic that realitybites posted ! Is it for real ? I mean is Ian Astbury going to sing lead with The Doors .... do a tour , record an album ? If that clip is any indicator , it could be a groovin project .
By the way a Mike Tyson auto bio may be a good read . He was at the top of the world before Ohioian Buster Douglas surprised the world by knocking him out . I was in Akron Ohio when this happened and the place exploded with joy at his win. It was just non stop screaming and yelling at the end of that fight . Crazy !

hand in glove

40 percent papier mache
Subscriber
He may be lux girl but that was a GREAT rendition of a Doors classic that realitybites posted ! Is it for real ? I mean is Ian Astbury going to sing lead with The Doors .... do a tour , record an album ? If that clip is any indicator , it could be a groovin project .
By the way a Mike Tyson auto bio may be a good read . He was at the top of the world before Ohioian Buster Douglas surprised the world by knocking him out . I was in Akron Ohio when this happened and the place exploded with joy at his win. It was just non stop screaming and yelling at the end of that fight . Crazy !
I don't know what that was all about, really. But, it isn't recent. Kilborn hasn't been on in ages and Ray Manzarek died last year. :(

Last edited:
A

Anonymous

i must say i saw the cult a few weeks back and they sounded pretty good, but the main this is they didn't cancel. take note moz

realitybites

making lemonade
Subscriber
That video is pretty old. Posted it because I think Ian does a good job singing that song. Did not mean to cause any confusion. :)

The General

RB,

I think he does a 'TOOGOODA' this is an impersonation rather than IB with the doors.

great music though.

The General

A

Anonymous

Ian Astbury toured with the Doors quite a few years ago. Around 2006 I think. They were called "The Doors of the 21st Century" because of a dispute with John Densmore (drummer) about the band's name. They have recently made up but unfortunately after Ray Manzerek's death.

- marred.

Top Bottom