I Wanted to Believe in Morrissey (Or His Music, at Least) - Jamie Stewart of Xiu Xiu (2017)

I Wanted to Believe in Morrissey (Or His Music, at Least) - Talkhouse
With Low in High School, Moz commits sacrilege against himself.
By Jamie Stewart | December 13, 2017

Excerpt:

This review of Morrissey’s Low in High School was very challenging. On alpha-and-omega personal levels, Morrissey is hands-down my favorite lyricist, the one from whom I have learned and stolen the most. Though Morrissey might not approve of the religious association here, to me, he is the Father. The albums he made with the Smiths and His solo records will forever be in my lifelong top 10: The first time I ever had sex in an appropriate way was while listening to Hatful of Hollow. I had a Smiths poster on bedroom wall until I was 32. I have seen Morrissey in concert more than any other artist. My brother, barber, and first boyfriend all have Morrissey tattoos. He is very important to me, and I feel unworthy of critiquing the man who essentially raised me musically. Essentially, I want to believe in Him. I have, since I was a teenager, needed to believe.

It was also challenging because His last record was unlistenable. 2009’s Years of Refusal is one of His best ever ever ever, but I couldn’t even get through 2014’s World Peace is None of Your Business. I was shocked—maybe I just hate dogs? Either way, because of it, I nervously entered into writing this nervously.

Last edited by a moderator:
'He is very important to me, and I feel unworthy of critiquing the man who essentially raised me musically.'

yes, you are 'unworthy'.

then again ....

'Essentially, I want to believe in Him. I have, since I was a teenager, needed to believe.'

Believe only in yourself, and just move on.

I was astonished to read that the author is over 40, since he writes with all the insight and intellectual depth of a 15-year-old.

I'm quite surprised this article slipped through the cracks at the time.
Xiu Xiu / Jamie Stewart have featured on this site throughout the years with generally positive comments.
Even the author of this article, 2 days ago, reflected on what they'd written with some regret showing through:

"...Angela Seo, who played on, edited, and produced the record (along with the ineffable Greg Saunier) will, from each song, select her favorite and least favorite of said lyrics. I did this for a Talkhouse review of a Morrissey record that was less than kind, and it was suggested to me that is more than fair to be made to sit through such a shitty form of assessment myself."

The reason this old review probably appeared today is that it is cited in "A Guide to Xiu Xiu’s Girl with Basket of Fruit"
and source of the above quote.
Taken from said Talkhouse / Jamie Stewart article from 1 Feb, 2019 - here.

Regards,
FWD.

"Wah wah wah. I'm not a fan of his new stuff."

Seriously. Get in line .

"I nervously entered into writing this nervously"

Am I the only one who is worried about this sentence? Anyway, this guy's entitled to his opinion, but I quite liked most of LIHS.

Why people these days feel the need to vomit everything about their 'private' lives is a mystery to me. I don't care what record he listened to while having sex. What a c***ish thing to say. And I don't care if he loves or hates M's albums.
But most of all I don't care what his definition of 'appropriate' sex is. Maybe his prior encounters were with chloroformed chickens.

'He is very important to me, and I feel unworthy of critiquing the man who essentially raised me musically.'

yes, you are 'unworthy'.

then again ....

'Essentially, I want to believe in Him. I have, since I was a teenager, needed to believe.'

Believe only in yourself, and just move on.

He was probably crying as he said it. I know I was crying reading it. In a 'Ooh I just sat on a thumbtack' kind of way.

I Wanted to Believe in Morrissey (Or His Music, at Least) - Talkhouse
With Low in High School, Moz commits sacrilege against himself.
By Jamie Stewart | December 13, 2017

Excerpt:

This review of Morrissey’s Low in High School was very challenging. On alpha-and-omega personal levels, Morrissey is hands-down my favorite lyricist, the one from whom I have learned and stolen the most. Though Morrissey might not approve of the religious association here, to me, he is the Father. The albums he made with the Smiths and His solo records will forever be in my lifelong top 10: The first time I ever had sex in an appropriate way was while listening to Hatful of Hollow. I had a Smiths poster on bedroom wall until I was 32. I have seen Morrissey in concert more than any other artist. My brother, barber, and first boyfriend all have Morrissey tattoos. He is very important to me, and I feel unworthy of critiquing the man who essentially raised me musically. Essentially, I want to believe in Him. I have, since I was a teenager, needed to believe.

It was also challenging because His last record was unlistenable. 2009’s Years of Refusal is one of His best ever ever ever, but I couldn’t even get through 2014’s World Peace is None of Your Business. I was shocked—maybe I just hate dogs? Either way, because of it, I nervously entered into writing this nervously.
Who the....is Jamie Stewart? Not another talentless bore using Morrissey as his MO for significance. YAWN. NEXT :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Xiu Xiu?? WTF?????????????????????doh:

this was probably written for him by one of the sock puppet twats here.
'as i nervously stood nervously'.:crazy:

"something one’s half-baked, right-wing nutball grandma would say to your 11-year-old nephew"

Accurate assessment of Morrissey's recent work and his relationship to his remaining fans.

Whatever else can be said of that article, I have to disagree with the opinion that there was a big decline in quality from Years of Refusal to World Peace. The latter (including some of the bonus tracks) does contain some fine songs.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom