I started listening to a few of Marr's songs

pewtavert

Alabaster Crashes Down
OMG, they suck! They aren't in the same stratosphere as The Moz and I am not being biased. Sure I love Morrissey and all of his work but there is nothing catchy about Marr's songs, I'm sorry to say. I tried to like them or even tolerate them but they are just bad, in my humble personal opinion. Not catchy, no jingles nothing. Rather they reminded me of music to hitchhike to, whatever that sounds like. Put your thumb out and move it up and down, awful. I don't know but Rebel without Applause, for example, is so much better and catchy than anything I heard from Marr by a mile and that's just one example of Morissey's work which is sooooooo extensive. Anywho back to listening to The one and only Icon, the man the myth the legend Steven Patrick Morrissey!!!!!!!

OMG, they suck! They aren't in the same stratosphere as The Moz and I am not being biased. Sure I love Morrissey and all of his work but there is nothing catchy about Marr's songs, I'm sorry to say. I tried to like them or even tolerate them but they are just bad, in my humble personal opinion. Not catchy, no jingles nothing. Rather they reminded me of music to hitchhike to, whatever that sounds like. Put your thumb out and move it up and down, awful. I don't know but Rebel without Applause, for example, is so much better and catchy than anything I heard from Marr by a mile and that's just one example of Morissey's work which is sooooooo extensive. Anywho back to listening to The one and only Icon, the man the myth the legend Steven Patrick Morrissey!!!!!!!

Considering that Rebels without Applause is very derivative of Marr's guitar sound for Cemetry Gates, your argument is weak. I don't know why you think that denigrating Marr somehow elevates Morrissey. It doesn't, it makes your opinion ridiculous. Marr and Morrissey wrote one of the most wondrous catalogs in all of rock'n'roll.

Here, listen to this, it's gorgeous.

Considering that Rebels without Applause is very derivative of Marr's guitar sound for Cemetry Gates, your argument is weak. I don't know why you think that denigrating Marr somehow elevates Morrissey. It doesn't, it makes your opinion ridiculous. Marr and Morrissey wrote one of the most wondrous catalogs in all of rock'n'roll.

Here, listen to this, it's gorgeous.

Honestly, Rebels doesn't exactly sound like Cemetery Gates. I see a sort of similarity (like everyone else here) in the basic chord progression for the Rebels verse-intro part, but the music for the song overall is nothing like C.G. Rebels certainly does not rip off Cemetery Gates.

So much music has been recorded as of 2022 that you surely will have unintentional copycats. There won't be too much 'brand new music' anymore, not exactly in the vein that we are used to.

Also, Marr's 'I Want The Heartbeat' is ACE. One of his best tracks - loaded with energy.

I thought “Upstarts” and “New Town Velocity” from
The Messenger were pleasant enough tunes.

This feels like just another troll thread.
I can ASSURE you that this is no troll thread unless you're a troll and you happen to be on my thread!! I've been listening to Morrissey since 1989 so go crawl back under your rock somewhere. I own all of his music going back to The Smiths, of course and I love it all. I tell my Alexa Studio to play Morrissey on a daily basis listening to his catalogue every darn day and I love it. When I'm driving and a Morrissey song comes on from my vast playlist with Amazon Music I always smile, as his songs are just a tad more special than any others........So NO THIS IS NOT ANOTHER TROLL THREAD!!!!!!!!

I thought “Upstarts” and “New Town Velocity” from
The Messenger were pleasant enough tunes.

The Messenger album is really very lovely. I was very happy that he achieved something that good (because it really is). I loved the first few months after getting that new album. I fully believe that Morrissey also listened to that album when it was released, and that he loved it. Let's not forget, Johnny plays music that Morrissey likes, and certainly Johnny must've loved songs like Spent The Day In Bed, Irish Blood English Heart, Southpaw, etc. You know Johnny listened.

Also, if you've never heard the Johnny Marr and the Healers record, you should listen to it. That came out almost twenty years ago but there's some GREAT playing and the music is very tight - with Zak Starkey (son of Ringo, plays for The Who recent times) on drums. Interesting note - the guy who played bass in the Healers used to be in this other band featuring the son of the actress who played Miss Bliss on 'Good Morning Miss Bliss' (ended up becoming Saved By The Bell). Anyway, that album is a solid body of music and sonically very good, it just kind of got lost to time. Not the best vocally compared to something like The Messenger, but the guitar playing and most of the compositions are excellent.

The Messenger album is really very lovely. I was very happy that he achieved something that good (because it really is). I loved the first few months after getting that new album. I fully believe that Morrissey also listened to that album when it was released, and that he loved it. Let's not forget, Johnny plays music that Morrissey likes, and certainly Johnny must've loved songs like Spent The Day In Bed, Irish Blood English Heart, Southpaw, etc. You know Johnny listened.

Also, if you've never heard the Johnny Marr and the Healers record, you should listen to it. That came out almost twenty years ago but there's some GREAT playing and the music is very tight - with Zak Starkey (son of Ringo, plays for The Who recent times) on drums. Interesting note - the guy who played bass in the Healers used to be in this other band featuring the son of the actress who played Miss Bliss on 'Good Morning Miss Bliss' (ended up becoming Saved By The Bell). Anyway, that album is a solid body of music and sonically very good, it just kind of got lost to time. Not the best vocally compared to something like The Messenger, but the guitar playing and most of the compositions are excellent.

I love that Healers record too! I think the ballad Down on the Corner is the best, a classic.

I don't exactly recall which very early Smiths songs were influenced by the 'Horses' album but both Johnny and Morrissey mentioned it. Jeane comes to mind, among a few others.

Didn’t know about Jeane. But the song Kimberly influenced The Hand The Rocks..
don’t at the moment recall what others. But obviously the album itself was a huge influence on both of them, maybe Morrissey more so.

most singers voices are very individual,you know who a singer is from a 10 second clip,im afraid johnboys voice is very bland,not a slight on him as he wasnt a singer in the first place,always stick to what your good at.

On the contrary, I think writing catchy riffs & tunes are Marr's forte, but, for me, it's all very thin & becomes forgettable in a very short space of time. It's a bit like disposable clothing; wear it once or twice & throw it out. Lyrically, I find his songs to be just complete meaningless gibberish, & shows he clearly learned nothing during his time with Moz during the Smiths period. Vocally, I'm sorry but I just can't listen to the vast majority of his stuff. Just my personal view. I don't dislike him, & am not saying any of the above with any kind of malice, nor Moz-loyalty, but Marr's music says nothing to me whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:
They suck? Some aren’t that great, but many are fantastic in my opinion. Give these a listen. The music is amazing. Only thing that would make them better would be Moz on vox.
- New Town Velocity
- Hi Hello
- Human
- Day In Day Out
- Spiral Cites
- This Tension
- European Me
- Lockdown

Back
Top Bottom