I like Klaus Nomi

every morning i must start my day with a little klaus nomi... <3

that's a beautiful one! seems like a bit of an odd choice for some reason though. still, morrissey has good taste! <3

Yes, he has. I've never heard this song before. It's beautiful. German sounds quite beautiful sometimes.

I watched The Nomi Song on the plane today. What struck me the most is that - as you mentioned before - he seemed very sincere, seemed to have a genuine desire to entertain with his unique brand of joy. His stage presence was so strong he even nearly managed to upstage David Bowie on SNL.

I feel the need to post an excerpt from a biography about his last days:

[...]"They made me wear a plastic bag when I visited him," recalls Arias. "I wasn't allowed to touch him. After a few weeks, he seemed to get better. He was strong enough to walk around. So he left the hospital and went home. His manager was making him sign all these papers, like we'll give you $ 500 if you sign your life away one more time. He developed kaposis [lesions associated with Kaposi's sarcoma, a rare skin cancer linked with AIDS] and started taking Interferon. That messed him up real bad. He had dots all over his body and his eyes became purple slits. It was like someone was destoying him. He used to make fun of it. He'd say 'Just call me dotty Nomi.' Then he got real weak and was rushed back to the hospital. He couldn't eat for days because he had cancer in his stomach. Herpes popped out all over his body. He turned into a monster. It hurt me so much to see him.

I talked to him on the night of August 5th. He said, 'Joey, what am I going to do? They don't want me in the hospital anymore. They pulled all the plugs. I have to stop all this stuff because I'm not getting any better.' I had this dream of Klaus getting strong and singing again-only he's be a little deformed, so he'd have to stay behind a screen or something. 'You'll be the phantom of the opera,' I told him. 'We'll do shows together again.' 'Yeah, maybe,' he said. But Klaus died in his sleep that night."

Translation for "A Scanty bit of thing":

K-Kat-Klaus-Kitty was totes awesome. Like totes.

That AIDS was such a bummertime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Yes, he has. I've never heard this song before. It's beautiful. German sounds quite beautiful sometimes.

I watched The Nomi Song on the plane today. What struck me the most is that - as you mentioned before - he seemed very sincere, seemed to have a genuine desire to entertain with his unique brand of joy. His stage presence was so strong he even nearly managed to upstage David Bowie on SNL.

[...]"They made me wear a plastic bag when I visited him," recalls Arias. "I wasn't allowed to touch him. After a few weeks, he seemed to get better. He was strong enough to walk around. So he left the hospital and went home. His manager was making him sign all these papers, like we'll give you $ 500 if you sign your life away one more time. He developed kaposis [lesions associated with Kaposi's sarcoma, a rare skin cancer linked with AIDS] and started taking Interferon. That messed him up real bad. He had dots all over his body and his eyes became purple slits. It was like someone was destoying him. He used to make fun of it. He'd say 'Just call me dotty Nomi.' Then he got real weak and was rushed back to the hospital. He couldn't eat for days because he had cancer in his stomach. Herpes popped out all over his body. He turned into a monster. It hurt me so much to see him.

I talked to him on the night of August 5th. He said, 'Joey, what am I going to do? They don't want me in the hospital anymore. They pulled all the plugs. I have to stop all this stuff because I'm not getting any better.' I had this dream of Klaus getting strong and singing again-only he's be a little deformed, so he'd have to stay behind a screen or something. 'You'll be the phantom of the opera,' I told him. 'We'll do shows together again.' 'Yeah, maybe,' he said. But Klaus died in his sleep that night."

Ain't never gonna be no bigger bummertime around here than you, 12in! :thumb:

And you're also the only person that I see around here who is the one currently making jokes about people dying of AIDS, and attributing them to me. Way to go!!! :thumb:

No, I'm not making fun of people dying of AIDS, I'm making fun of you. (It's hard to tell if you're in a constant state of inebriation or just meschugge. Probably both.) :thumb:

Last edited:

ack, i dont know how to respond! first you made me cry and then you made me laugh, so that by the time i came to the end of your post i was a mess of giggles and tears :D

oh my gosh, its so absolutely shattering what happened to klaus. like i said, i cant imagine how it must have felt to have been him in those days. especially when only months before the trajectory of his life seemed to be going nowhere but up. i read somewhere that klaus used to watch his videos in the spring of 1983 when he was housebound and had remarked to joey or somebody "this is what i used to do"--which would have been poignant coming from an old man looking back through the years at himself in his younger days, knowing he couldnt turn back the clock, but this was someone who was still young, who had only recently been doing these things, and who now was cruelly forced to come to terms with the fact that all of that was now forever relegated to an unrecoverable past. i just cant imagine what that would have been like. im glad at least joey arias, to his eternal credit, was a good friend until the end. i wish they had interviewed him for the Nomi Song.

the ending of the nomi song struck me as so sad when they replayed his sensation-making appearance at the new wave vaudeville show. it seemed to me a perfect summation of his career: he descended upon new york, seemingly out of nowhere, held everyone rapt, and then just as quickly as he came, he was gone. i love what the nice english man says about him: "he was just a very affecting little guy--who made a huge impression".

the thing about klaus was that he was just listening to his heart. so many people struggle with that, but for him it just seemed to come naturally. if he wanted to do something he did it, and he believed in what he did. and isnt that how we should all be? which is why it seems so extra cruel what happened to him.

the SNL performance was gold. they were all so great i didnt know who to watch. "three freaks in dresses" someone called it. lol. i wish i could see the full version of tvc15 somewhere.

where are you off to?!

ack, i dont know how to respond! first you made me cry and then you made me laugh, so that by the time i came to the end of your post i was a mess of giggles and tears :D

oh my gosh, its so absolutely shattering what happened to klaus. like i said, i cant imagine how it must have felt to have been him in those days. especially when only months before the trajectory of his life seemed to be going nowhere but up. i read somewhere that klaus used to watch his videos in the spring of 1983 when he was housebound and had remarked to joey or somebody "this is what i used to do"--which would have been poignant coming from an old man looking back through the years at himself in his younger days, knowing he couldnt turn back the clock, but this was someone who was still young, who had only recently been doing these things, and who now was cruelly forced to come to terms with the fact that all of that was now forever relegated to an unrecoverable past. i just cant imagine what that would have been like. im glad at least joey arias, to his eternal credit, was a good friend until the end. i wish they had interviewed him for the Nomi Song.

the ending of the nomi song struck me as so sad when they replayed his sensation-making appearance at the new wave vaudeville show. it seemed to me a perfect summation of his career: he descended upon new york, seemingly out of nowhere, held everyone rapt, and then just as quickly as he came, he was gone. i love what the nice english man says about him: "he was just a very affecting little guy--who made a huge impression".

the thing about klaus was that he was just listening to his heart. so many people struggle with that, but for him it just seemed to come naturally. if he wanted to do something he did it, and he believed in what he did. and isnt that how we should all be? which is why it seems so extra cruel what happened to him.

the SNL performance was gold. they were all so great i didnt know who to watch. "three freaks in dresses" someone called it. lol. i wish i could see the full version of tvc15 somewhere.

where are you off to?!

In a way his destiny reminds me of my late husband, who also had everything going for him, was so full of life, had so many plans only to have his life cut short. Why?

I sort of understand a little bit what goes on in the psyche of someone who is dying and needless to say it f***s you so badly, but to have to go through it alone, stigmatised, without any human touch … I can’t even begin to imagine what that must be like.

I’m not going anywhere exciting, I just got back from Oslo. Have to say I am pleasantly surprised - it’s got a nice wee skyline and a relaxed, continental feel. Very expensive, of course.

Ain't never gonna be no bigger bummertime around here than you, 12in! :thumb:

And you're also the only person that I see around here who is the one currently making jokes about people dying of AIDS, and attributing them to me. Way to go!!! :thumb:

Uh uh uh!

I was the first so give me some respect!

Hop up behind me on the horse 12 Slack, I am your knight in shining armor. Off into the sunset we ride (to Greece while your hubby is in London).

She's saving that for next month when she makes another desperate bid for attention in the most basic and obvious way possible.

I hope so ! This site could use a 'I like Jobriath' thread ! :D

you like Jo don't ya ? Well, this songs for you C-Low! ..... :thumb:

If one wasn't at the gig, then the first time for most M fans hearing Klaus was most likely the 'Hulmerist' video around 0:50 in, as it was for me when I first heard THAT voice!

oh! i dont know! seems canada misses out on everything morrissey related! i will have to check around and see. glad to hear you liked it. did you do a review of it somewhere?!

a review? well, it was interesting to see someone else's take on the young M in contrast to ones own imagined take on it. So it was entertaining in that way. Though it's weird to be sitting in a theater and watching this film when I think back on those early days before I even knew about the NME and had to rely on Rolling Stone and Spin for any scraps of M/Smiths info. Never could imagine that one day someone would make a film.

Also, it's interesting to think of M in these small rooms and dreaming in these small rooms and from there or out of that becoming who he became. And there's a scene where he's rehearsing for the first time with Billy Duffy in Duffy's bedroom and M just holding a microphone frustrated/shy doesn't sing when Billy starts playing guitar, so Billy says he'll make some tea, then M stands up and puts a 7" record on (can't remember I think Shangri la's) and everything seems good again, the power of music ! I'm not explaining it well :lbf:. Guess you'll just have to see it. Anyways it's being released soon...

https://www.morrissey-solo.com/thre...-circa-december-release-amazon-uk-usa.140610/

If one wasn't at the gig, then the first time for most M fans hearing Klaus was most likely the 'Hulmerist' video around 0:50 in, as it was for me when I first heard THAT voice!

Even a young Oprah Wingfried was there. The lad cutting in from the left at 8:27 had quite a substantial quiff and a very impressive bouquet of flowers at one of Moz's Wembley Arena gigs in 1995 when he was supporting Bowie.

After Moz was finished and loads of us left and didn't bother with Bowie he smiled at me and asked me what I thought about the gig. A very nice lad by all accounts.

I still have Moz's shirt button from that night and chose to let the far east asians fight for the shirt. I think I went to 4 of the gigs that week only missing one (or maybe two) as I took the train to Manchester to see United beat Southampton 4-1 on the Saturday.

Ryan Giggs got United off to a great start scoring just seconds after the kick off with Cantona providing the pass:

http://twii.edgeboss.net/download/twii/manutd/video_20151118_giggs.mp4

THOSE WERE THE DAYS!

Even a young Oprah Wingfried was there. The lad cutting in from the left at 8:27 had quite a substantial quiff and a very impressive bouquet of flowers at one of Moz's Wembley Arena gigs in 1995 when he was supporting Bowie.

After Moz was finished and loads of us left and didn't bother with Bowie he smiled at me and asked me what I thought about the gig. A very nice lad by all accounts.

I still have Moz's shirt button from that night and chose to let the far east asians fight for the shirt. I think I went to 4 of the gigs that week only missing one (or maybe two) as I took the train to Manchester to see United beat Southampton 4-1 on the Saturday.

Ryan Giggs got United off to a great start scoring just seconds after the kick off with Cantona providing the pass:

http://twii.edgeboss.net/download/twii/manutd/video_20151118_giggs.mp4

THOSE WERE THE DAYS!

I believe people here are so interested I wanna add more to the story. When Giggs scores he runs in the direction of the stand I was in and waves and claps his hands at me. The reason why he did that is something I will keep to myself but it is a true story.

Then I took the train back to London with the Southampton fans and we got stuck on the train for god knows how many hours near Wembley. Finally the train was able to be transported to Euston and we all got a free cab to our homes and hotels and a few hours later with not a lot of sleep I returned home to Sweden.

If you wanna know more details just ask cause I have been told I am very popular on this webshite.

i just wish there were more interviews or live performances of his! this is the only thing i could find:

he was a definite cutie!

there is this doc, which is pretty great.....

Back
Top Bottom