I like Klaus Nomi

I suggest you start in Immenstadt. There is something so sinister about small town Bavaria, in order to fully understand the K-Meister you need to immerse yourself in that feeling for a while. I think that feeling should also set the tone for the biography. Seeing as you are fair haired, white, clean and from a "good" foreign country, people will treat you with courtesy (just don't call yourself "Stern", and should the subject of Klaus' homosexuality come up, pretend you didn't know or shake your head in disbelief and say a quick Vater Unser). Also, you need to find his lovely auntie from The Nomi Song. I bet she has cool stories to tell. I wish I had an auntie like that.

Go do it.

OK, I'll start baking.
haha you're so funny! but why cant i call myself stern? and as for klaus' auntie do you really think she's still alive? if she is she must be 100 by now. she is/was pretty rad though, you are right. makes me feel like a shit auntie, which i am actually. if she's not alive, how would i find out information about him from his school days? and stuff like: what did his mom do for a living? what happened to his dad? what kind of grades did he get? would it be in the town records? shit, this is gonna be hard. but it has to be possible. i mean, if people can write biographies on keats 200 years after his death, and still be able to find information on his childhood, then i should be able to find information on klaus as a child. i should probably start by googling "how to write a biography".

well when do you think i should set out?!

also, do you think "k-meister" works as a good title?! :lbf:

haha you're so funny! but why cant i call myself stern? and as for klaus' auntie do you really think she's still alive? if she is she must be 100 by now. she is/was pretty rad though, you are right. makes me feel like a shit auntie, which i am actually. if she's not alive, how would i find out information about him from his school days? and stuff like: what did his mom do for a living? what happened to his dad? what kind of grades did he get? would it be in the town records? shit, this is gonna be hard. but it has to be possible. i mean, if people can write biographies on keats 200 years after his death, and still be able to find information on his childhood, then i should be able to find information on klaus as a child. i should probably start by googling "how to write a biography".

Hi Rifke, Stern is a Jewish name. :rolleyes:
I think 12inch just gives you the advise to not use that name in, of all places, Bavaria.

All the questions you come up with are exactly the questions a good biographer, obsessed and immersed in his subject comes up with and has a burning wish to answer, to find out and display.
That is the privilege of an artist's soul. And it even might inspire you for other writings too.
But serious, I don't want to push you into doing something that you don't like.
You can treat it as a side project, taking up a considerable time. But spread over more years.
There are some biographies published that turned out to be a life time work and not because it was planned as such. Just by researching and collecting the info that is still available now and concentrating on people that might be still alive and knew him would be my first steps. Firsthand info and such. Direct sources.
Even if at a certain point you don't want to go further it could be inspiring and interesting to begin with.
Of course you should start with google. Why not? :thumb:

Last edited:
Hi Rifke, Stern is a Jewish name. :rolleyes:
I think 12inch just gives you the advise to not use that name in, of all places, Bavaria.

All the questions you come up with are exactly the questions a good biographer, obsessed and immersed in his subject comes up with and has a burning wish to answer, to find out and display.
That is the privilege of an artist's soul. And it even might inspire you for other writings too.
But serious, I don't want to push you into doing something that you don't like.
You can treat as a side project, taking up a considerable time. But spread over more years.
There are some biographies published that turned out to be a life time work and not because it was planned as such. Just by researching and collecting the info that is still available now and concentrating on people that might be still alive and knew him would be my first steps. Firsthand info and such. Direct sources.
Even if at a certain point you don't want to go further it could be inspiring and interesting to begin with.
Of course you should start with google. Why not? :thumb:
but none of that provides me with any practical advice gerrit, which is what i need.

where's my Nomi photo of the day ? rifke how ya gonna write a Nomi Bio when you can't even bless us with a Nomi photo of the day ? this thread is going downhill I swear. ;)

p.s. I didn't bump into Joey yet, but did bump into Patti and Lenny Kaye on the corner the other day, she was very sweet to me, I kept it very brief and thanked them both for the music they gifted us all with. :)

Ketamine Sun is such a slag !

where's my Nomi photo of the day ? rifke how ya gonna write a Nomi Bio when you can't even bless us with a Nomi photo of the day ? this thread is going downhill I swear. ;)

p.s. I didn't bump into Joey yet, but did bump into Patti and Lenny Kaye on the corner the other day, she was very sweet to me, I kept it very brief and thanked them both for the music they gifted us all with. :)
oh ketamine sun, what a charmed life you lead! i dont know who those people are though, but im sure they're fabulous. do they know klaus? if ever you run into anyone who knows klaus you just tell them you know someone who needs to meet with them in order to ask them questions for an upcoming biography and that if they oblige posterity will thank them! and if you bump into joey ASK HIM ABOUT THE COAT!!!!

you're right, i HAVE been slacking on the picture of the day. ill be back in a minute, i have a visit to make to the google images repository!

aha! here we go!

1eee2b70d0c927374f699aadc0dfa509--joey-arias-nomi.jpg

klaus and joey, looking ultra cool as usual!

happy, you slag?! :p

oh ketamine sun, what a charmed life you lead! i dont know who those people are though, but im sure they're fabulous. do they know klaus? if ever you run into anyone who knows klaus you just tell them you know someone who needs to meet with them in order to ask them questions for an upcoming biography and that if they oblige posterity will thank them! and if you bump into joey ASK HIM ABOUT THE COAT!!!!

you're right, i HAVE been slacking on the picture of the day. ill be back in a minute, i have a visit to make to the google images repository!

aha! here we go!

:thumb:

yes!, happy now. lovely pic.

'i dont know who those people are though,'

:lbf: er... Patti Smith and Lenny Kaye ? ... never mind.

'if they oblige posterity will thank them!'

didn't know you knew 'posterity' ? if you ever bump into 'prosperity' then put in a good word for me ! thanks in advance. :D

So what's the name of the Nomi Bio ? you gotta have a name first.

Also, I think it should be a pop-up book ! :D

or one for the kids... 'The Wonderful Adventures Of Klaus and his Fuzzy Blue Coat !'

:thumb:

yes!, happy now. lovely pic.

'i dont know who those people are though,'

:lbf: er... Patti Smith and Lenny Kaye ? ... never mind.
surely you know i aint that hip? maybe one day! with your help! so what's the deal with people in new york? are they friendly? will they talk to you if you're a stranger? will they help you collect information on klaus and direct you to people who knew him?

'if they oblige posterity will thank them!'

didn't know you knew 'posterity' ? if you ever bump into 'prosperity' then put in a good word for me ! thanks in advance. :D

So what's the name of the Nomi Bio ? you gotta have a name first.

Also, I think it should be a pop-up book ! :D

or one for the kids... 'The Wonderful Adventures Of Klaus and his Fuzzy Blue Coat !'
K-Meister is going to be the title! the idea was given to me by 12"! you know, K_S, sometimes i dont think you read this thread very closely! or maybe you thought K-meister was a reference to you? :p

oh yeah, me and posterity are tight.:cool: (i just noticed that smiley looks like glenn o'brien. am i right?!)

oh and yes! capital idea to make a childrens book as well! all about the famous blue fuzzy!! in the book the coat itself should be made of some fuzzy material!

aha! here we go!

Celebrating the days of white men occupying and ruling the world keeping all the rest at bay, white mens lives only matter to Rifke.

As we can see in the picture defficiency from d-vitamin was very common back then.

In case auntie Dodo is dead maybe her children could help you out / point you towards the right people? His dad died / disappeared in the war, didn't he? I think in a small town like Immenstadt you'd find information rather quickly.

Arch, I think this would be such a great thing to do, and you'd write an awesome biography I'm sure. Not sure about "K-Meister" though ... perhaps it could be your working title? Will have to think of something better.

In case auntie Dodo is dead maybe her children could help you out / point you towards the right people? His dad died / disappeared in the war, didn't he? I think in a small town like Immenstadt you'd find information rather quickly.

Arch, I think this would be such a great thing to do, and you'd write an awesome biography I'm sure. Not sure about "K-Meister" though ... perhaps it could be your working title? Will have to think of something better.
i so hope auntie dodo isnt dead! i was hoping she'd be my auntie too! do you think she had kids? i havent heard of klaus having cousins. i got a dinstinctly childless vibe from her. like that's the whole reason she doted on klaus (aside from him being f***ing adorable). of course, my childless vibes have been wrong before. wouldnt that be wonderful if she had children?!

gee, i dont know, 12". i really want to write this--i want it to be the whole point of my existence--but i'm getting stressed out just thinking about it. because it's not just a matter of how much i want to write it but also how much the universe will accomodate me in writing it. i mean, if you're going to write a biography you have to have all the pieces. and what if there are just too many gaps? what if there is one period where i just cant find ANY information? or what if all klaus' lovely new york friends say to me "honey, (joey always calls me honey in my imagined dealings with him), leave this to a real biographer" and are offended that i had the audacity to think i could be the writer of klaus' life? what if they all shun me because im not hip enough? should i buy some faux leather pants?

but on the other hand, what a great excuse to attempt to insinuate myself into the lives of klaus' friends! suppose they even find my non-professional determination charming?!

and i suppose if im lacking information in some area i can always just write in broad terms about the atmosphere of the place and time in which he was living, or the particular world he was moving in. like, for example, what it was like to grow up as a child in post war germany, something i've often wondered myself. or what the opera scene in berlin in the 70's was like. or the gay scene in berlin in the 70's. or the new wave east village scene. or pre-giuliani new york. gee, i've got a lot of research to do. the important thing is that i dont go about it half-assedly, which is my usual modus operandi.

but i've been thinking also that suppose it's not very interesting? i mean, one would think it would have to be being that it's subject is the most enchanting creature ever to grace this earth, but there's not really any scandal is there? and people like scandal. but even suppose there was some kind of scandal or dirty laundry, i dont think i'd really want to write about it. i have no intention of sullying the name of my sweetie.

another thing i was thinking is that whilst doing research i could keep a journal of what im doing. that way, if the biography fails because there simply isnt enough information, i could instead write a novel about someone trying to write a biography and failing, which to me has a bit of a poetic element to it, and also i would have the benefit of first hand experience. i could even add a little twist whereby it becomes a thriller: let's say, this girl--a real clever thing, we'll say--is trying to write a biography on someone she's obsessed with. so she goes around trying to elicit information from the subjects friends. she imagines that because they were his friends that they should automatically be her friends too. she imagines also that one of them would be happy to give her a blue fuzzy coat that the subject wore, since after all she is writing a biography on him. of course the exchange isnt as simple as all that, she refuses to take no for an answer and we see how she goes about trying to get the coat. will she acquire the famous blue fuzzy and at what cost?!?!? there's no telling!

OR! i could make it a comedy, detailing this girls unsuccesful attempts at writing a biography due to a dire lack of professional know-how and all the cringey, questionable situations she finds herself in. OR! a tragicomedy wherein the girl ends up killing herself when she realizes that no one finds her lack of professional know-how as charming as she does! there are oh SO MANY shapes this novel could take!

what about 'k-kat-klaus-kitty' for the title? i know i wasnt supposed to (because it does sound like something old lady skanky would say) but i liked the name when you said it (he is just SUCH a k-kat-klaus-kitty) and have been secretly calling him that in my head ever since.

Last edited:
i so hope auntie dodo isnt dead! i was hoping she'd be my auntie too! do you think she had kids? i havent heard of klaus having cousins. i got a dinstinctly childless vibe from her. like that's the whole reason she doted on klaus (aside from him being f***ing adorable). of course, my childless vibes have been wrong before. wouldnt that be wonderful if she had children?!

gee, i dont know, 12". i really want to write this--i want it to be the whole point of my existence--but i'm getting stressed out just thinking about it. because it's not just a matter of how much i want to write it but also how much the universe will accomodate me in writing it. i mean, if you're going to write a biography you have to have all the pieces. and what if there are just too many gaps? what if there is one period where i just cant find ANY information? or what if all klaus' lovely new york friends say to me "honey, (joey always calls me honey in my imagined dealings with him), leave this to a real biographer" and are offended that i had the audacity to think i could be the writer of klaus' life? what if they all shun me because im not hip enough? should i buy some faux leather pants?

but on the other hand, what a great excuse to attempt to insinuate myself into the lives of klaus' friends! suppose they even find my non-professional determination charming?!

and i suppose if im lacking information in some area i can always just write in broad terms about the atmosphere of the place and time in which he was living, or the particular world he was moving in. like, for example, what it was like to grow up as a child in post war germany, something i've often wondered myself. or what the opera scene in berlin in the 70's was like. or the gay scene in berlin in the 70's. or the new wave east village scene. or pre-giuliani new york. gee, i've got a lot of research to do. the important thing is that i dont go about it half-assedly, which is my usual modus operandi.

but i've been thinking also that suppose it's not very interesting? i mean, one would think it would have to be being that it's subject is the most enchanting creature ever to grace this earth, but there's not really any scandal is there? and people like scandal. but even suppose there was some kind of scandal or dirty laundry, i dont think i'd really want to write about it. i have no intention of sullying the name of my sweetie.

another thing i was thinking is that whilst doing research i could keep a journal of what im doing. that way, if the biography fails because there simply isnt enough information, i could instead write a novel about someone trying to write a biography and failing, which to me has a bit of a poetic element to it, and also i would have the benefit of first hand experience. i could even add a little twist whereby it becomes a thriller: let's say, this girl--a real clever thing, we'll say--is trying to write a biography on someone she's obsessed with. so she goes around trying to elicit information from the subjects friends. she imagines that because they were his friends that they should automatically be her friends too. she imagines also that one of them would be happy to give her a blue fuzzy coat that the subject wore, since after all she is writing a biography on him. of course the exchange isnt as simple as all that, she refuses to take no for an answer and we see how she goes about trying to get the coat. will she acquire the famous blue fuzzy and at what cost?!?!? there's no telling!

OR! i could make it a comedy, detailing this girls unsuccesful attempts at writing a biography due to a dire lack of professional know-how and all the cringey, questionable situations she finds herself in. OR! a tragicomedy wherein the girl ends up killing herself when she realizes that no one finds her lack of professional know-how as charming as she does! there are oh SO MANY shapes this novel could take!

what about 'k-kat-klaus-kitty' for the title? i know i wasnt supposed to (because it does sound like something old lady skanky would say) but i liked the name when you said it (he is just SUCH a k-kat-klaus-kitty) and have been secretly calling him that in my head ever since.

I totally understand how you feel about K-Kat-Klaus-Kitty. I feel the same way about Justin Trudeau. Kidding.

Honestly, I think all of the options sound good. A novel about "this girl" trying to write a biography ... that would be like a biography and an autobiography at the same time! :) In any case, you could just start doing research, maybe go to Germany / New York for a week or two (faux leather pants are always good, get a fringe and the Nomi tattoo as well) start writing, see how it goes, let the story take the shape it wants to take.

I totally understand how you feel about K-Kat-Klaus-Kitty. I feel the same way about Justin Trudeau. Kidding.

Honestly, I think all of the options sound good. A novel about "this girl" trying to write a biography ... that would be like a biography and an autobiography at the same time! :) In any case, you could just start doing research, maybe go to Germany / New York for a week or two (faux leather pants are always good, get a fringe and the Nomi tattoo as well) start writing, see how it goes, let the story take the shape it wants to take.
yes, it could be like a joint biography! of course the autobiography part would have to rely on a lot of embellishment because my life as it is wouldnt interest anyone. i would prefer to just write a strict biography of klaus, so that would just be my contingency plan.

well you're fitting into the role of my advisor nicely! im even getting free fashion advice! what about if i put an ad in like a berlin newspaper or something asking if anyone has any information on klaus nomi from the years __ - __ if they could send me an email? i could do that from home and see if i get any response. if so i could then go to berlin to meet the person. although i feel like being on the spot i would probably be more driven to find information, but i also have (very) limited funds (especially if im going to have to buy leather pants and a "please take me seriously" coat), so i have to do what i can from home. unless i plan on being a vagabond/illegal immigrant, then it wont matter where i go!

come to canada, we can hatch a plan for you to meet and dazzle our president!

yes, it could be like a joint biography! of course the autobiography part would have to rely on a lot of embellishment because my life as it is wouldnt interest anyone. i would prefer to just write a strict biography of klaus, so that would just be my contingency plan.

well you're fitting into the role of my advisor nicely! im even getting free fashion advice! what about if i put an ad in like a berlin newspaper or something asking if anyone has any information on klaus nomi from the years __ - __ if they could send me an email? i could do that from home and see if i get any response. if so i could then go to berlin to meet the person. although i feel like being on the spot i would probably be more driven to find information, but i also have (very) limited funds (especially if im going to have to buy leather pants and a "please take me seriously" coat), so i have to do what i can from home. unless i plan on being a vagabond/illegal immigrant, then it wont matter where i go!

come to canada, we can hatch a plan for you to meet and dazzle our president!

title idea... 'Do You Nomi ?' with a great photo of him on the cover would at least draw attention to the book.

that's a great idea, k-ket-kitty! well, this thing is practically in the bag now that i have a title!

yes, now that you have a title, everything else should fall in place... VOILA ! now just kick back and watch the money and the fame just.... roll in ! :lbf: ;)

Torn between baking (as promised) and going for a jog in order to be fit for Justin Trudeau, the President of Canada!

Back
Top Bottom