I just submitted a DGPHM track review to Pitchfork.

N

Nick

"Two decades after the gladioli wilted, Morrissey felt an urge to dig past the Wilde and Delaney and reclaim some semblance of machismo. Through walls of distortion and stentorian drums, he presented a bruised, battered and better version of himself. But in this, the aftermath of You Are the Quarry's roar, Morrissey quietly summons the vulnerable despair of days gone by.

Walking that thin, quintessentially Catholic line between God and temptations of the flesh, the man finds himself wandering Roman streets with a wavering conscience. Tony Visconti and Ennio Morricone illuminate his path with a subdued, yet potent union of church organ and strings while the hazy percussion slinks in as a determined reminder of the sin at hand. Though he eventually resigns his physical fate, a body trapped amidst the crowd, he professes that, at long last, his heart is free."

Fao Nick

I noticed that the newly refurbished online music zine "Delusions of Adequacy" is in need of weekly album reviewers and music writers (interview, media, feature, online-music etc.) Unfortunately, they are not offering compensation beyond a few teeny perks.

http://www.adequacy.net/help.php

The part about the actual song is magnificent, but Quarry hardly roared.

> "Two decades after the gladioli wilted, Morrissey felt an urge to dig
> past the Wilde and Delaney and reclaim some semblance of machismo. Through
> walls of distortion and stentorian drums, he presented a bruised, battered
> and better version of himself. But in this, the aftermath of You Are the
> Quarry's roar, Morrissey quietly summons the vulnerable despair of days
> gone by.

> Walking that thin, quintessentially Catholic line between God and
> temptations of the flesh, the man finds himself wandering Roman streets
> with a wavering conscience. Tony Visconti and Ennio Morricone illuminate
> his path with a subdued, yet potent union of church organ and strings
> while the hazy percussion slinks in as a determined reminder of the sin at
> hand. Though he eventually resigns his physical fate, a body trapped
> amidst the crowd, he professes that, at long last, his heart is
> free."
Very very nice - you should do this professionally!

Re: Great review Nick

I feared for this song when i first read the lyrics, but i've just listened to it and tears welled up in my eyes. Who thought a description of a sexual act could sound so beautiful? Almost as lovely as Asleep, but nowhere near as despairing. Dear God please let this man continue making music.

Re: Great review Nick

Beatiful song, beautiful review.
Thanks.

They won't read past the second sentence.

Pitchfork posts plenty of rave reviews, but you've written in breathless fanzine-speak. They won't take it seriously, not least of all because of how you've mischaracterized Quarry. "Walls of distortion"? Quarry roared like a mouse. If you'd like elaboration on that, you can read either of the two reviews of it that Pitchfork posted. They were both very positive, incidentally.

It's also depressing that you couldn't get through six sentences about Morrissey without mentioning gladioli and Wilde. Cliches, Nick.

Your tack re. Catholicism has nothing to back it up. Morrissey's calls to "God" are no more literal or religious than Jason Pierce's. He's bemoaning a case of blueballs, and since he does happen to be a rock star who's attracted mainly to younger men, I think the ethical dilemma in the song probably has less to do with the separation of the spirit and the flesh than with regional age of consent laws.

Morrissey "resigns his physical fate"? What, had he signed it to Attack?

I think you mean that he became resigned to it. And you might consider that Morrissey's heart is finally freed in the sense that it's become unweighted--because he's gotten his rocks off, making his mind temporarily less squalid.

"bemoaning a case of blueballs" - Okay, that made me laugh, but -2 for slagging a heartfelt review

Re: "bemoaning a case of blueballs" - Okay, that made me laugh, but -2 for slagging a heartfelt revi

Heartfelt reviews don't make good reviews. They can, but in this case that is hardly so. I don't need imagery of his path being illuminated by strings and organs. That is not helpful when thinking about the context of a song. I want to know about the song, what it made you feel, how does it hit you. Does it take the wind out of you? Does it make you contemplate your existence, does it make you fall asleep because it is incredibly boring? Sorry, I am not feeling this.

Re: "bemoaning a case of blueballs" - Okay, that made me laugh, but -2 for slagging a heartfelt revi

P.S. It is good that you mentioned things such as the organs, but you need to talk about the music. This review tells NOTHING about what the song actually sounds like.

> P.S. It is good that you mentioned things such as the organs, but you need
> to talk about the music. This review tells NOTHING about what the song
> actually sounds like.

You've got to know who you're writing for.
Are you familiar with Pitchforkmedia?

> You've got to know who you're writing for.
> Are you familiar with Pitchforkmedia?

Nick's right. Pitchfork is more coy feuilleton sparkle than journalistic lustre, and is the better for it.

point well taken, you are right you do have to consider who you are writing for and I am not familiar with them, and if you are into that, hey, more power to you, but I myself would have no interest in anything like that, just seems kind of lame and pointless....people trying to see who can create the best "image" and use their thesaurus to the max.

Back
Top Bottom