I have a gripe about how Moz releases albums

Peterb

I have always bought the Morrissey albums as they have come out.
What annoys me are these re-issues and delux editions. I've never seen the need to re-purchase albums I already have.
Yet these releases have extra tracks. As a result I now find there are a plethora of tracks that I do not know. For example I recently disconvered 'Now I am a was' and 'No one can hold a candle to you'. Tremendous songs!
This practice of re-releasingan old album and adding an extra unknown track is very unfair.
I bought 'Swords' thinking this would contain alot of unknown tracks but I found it a very poor collection indeed.
What is required is a comprehensive compilation of 'B' sides and bonus tracks.

I don't really have a problem with this practice. Personally, I don't buy these 'enhanced releases' and compilations because I generally pick up each of the singles as they're released. On the rare occasion I've missed a track, I've always found it floating around the internet somewhere. I bought the likes of The World Won't Listen and Bona Drag at the time because they were convenient, but now, with MP3 players and the ability to burn your own CDs, I don't bother.

And, yes, Now I am a Was is a little gem.

I have no general problem with re-releases of albums - if remastered with newest technology and added bonus tracks - but i was quite irrtiated about the Southpaw Grammar and Maladjusted Redux versions.

New sleeve, new running order, new tracks in between (and in Maladjusted's case: deleting songs from the disc) seemed a little bit to much re-do for me. Especially The Alternate Maladjusted brought no added value as the bonus tracks could be tracked down easily before (e.g. collected on the Japannese Rare Tracks CD from 1998). The Alternate Southpaw Grammar was better, which insightful (though bitter) liner notes, bonus tracks from that era (apart from the inclusion of Fantastic Bird which belongs to a different era).

I don't know what went wrong with Swords but this could have been a great, Bona Drag-sytle compilation especially in countries where the singles weren't released. Maybe the time for physical disc compilations is generally over - today everyone can download a Greatest Hits package of his/her own choice.

If re-released would have preferred a 2-CD solution for the a.m. Redux versions - just like it was done with Double Fantasy by John Lennon last year: original CD, remastered on CD1 and the new version as a CD2.

What annoys me are these re-issues and delux editions. I've never seen the need to re-purchase albums I already have.
Yet these releases have extra tracks. As a result I now find there are a plethora of tracks that I do not know. For example I recently disconvered 'Now I am a was' and 'No one can hold a candle to you'. Tremendous songs!
This practice of re-releasingan old album and adding an extra unknown track is very unfair.
I bought 'Swords' thinking this would contain alot of unknown tracks but I found it a very poor collection indeed.
What is required is a comprehensive compilation of 'B' sides and bonus tracks.

Hi Peter,

You must be a newer fan, from more of the digital age, perhaps? (I'm just guessing, not judging) There is a fairly good reason for this and it's not just to perturb you. Morrissey, since The Smiths, has always believed in quality B-sides. This is due to, in part, a desire for a higher chart placing in a time when chart placings mattered. This is my opinion, of course. In addition to this, oh, shall we say "strategy", it was also a desire to give the fans quality, the true fans, not necessarily the casual fan (as after hype, the casual fan will only bother to buy the album), something more, a reward if you will, for buying the singles in addition to the albums. This is one of the reasons people loved and respected The Smiths so much. They weren't just about making money, but making quality. Morrissey has carried this along in his solo life. It can be a bit frustrating when you enter in midway, but it can also be fun, like a scavenger hunt, tracking down gems. Songs like, 'Heir Apparent', 'Now I Am A Was' and 'Lost', were had by the diehard fan, for those who bought the singles at the time of Maladjusted. I do understand your gripe though, it can be frustrating, but what about the frustration of those who've bought the singles and have everything since day one, even singles that were only available through import? While I'm always interested in Morrissey's releases regardless, a comprehensive compilation of B-sides only targets everyone besides the diehards. So you can see the dilemma. Rest assured, at some point, everything will be released and re-released, in fact, it's already happening. Enjoyed your honest post. Take good care.

I've heard all songs quoted so far in the thread for the first time tonight and yesterday. I can't be considered a diehard fan I suppose, but I just don't and never have had the income to purchase singles. I do know this, however. I get the songs. Maybe I wasn't meant to hear them until tonight, God works in mysterious ways.

Stephane needs to correct the chorus to Heir Apparent, the third word sung is "aware." Slap me on the ass at your own risk. :cool:

Hi Peter,

You must be a newer fan, from more of the digital age, perhaps? (I'm just guessing, not judging) There is a fairly good reason for this and it's not just to perturb you. Morrissey, since The Smiths, has always believed in quality B-sides. This is due to, in part, a desire for a higher chart placing in a time when chart placings mattered. This is my opinion, of course. In addition to this, oh, shall we say "strategy", it was also a desire to give the fans quality, the true fans, not necessarily the casual fan (as after hype, the casual fan will only bother to buy the album), something more, a reward if you will, for buying the singles in addition to the albums. This is one of the reasons people loved and respected The Smiths so much. They weren't just about making money, but making quality. Morrissey has carried this along in his solo life. It can be a bit frustrating when you enter in midway, but it can also be fun, like a scavenger hunt, tracking down gems. Songs like, 'Heir Apparent', 'Now I Am A Was' and 'Lost', were had by the diehard fan, for those who bought the singles at the time of Maladjusted. I do understand your gripe though, it can be frustrating, but what about the frustration of those who've bought the singles and have everything since day one, even singles that were only available through import? While I'm always interested in Morrissey's releases regardless, a comprehensive compilation of B-sides only targets everyone besides the diehards. So you can see the dilemma. Rest assured, at some point, everything will be released and re-released, in fact, it's already happening. Enjoyed your honest post. Take good care.
Hey VivaMorrissey, What a great post! I see your point and you are, ofcourse right. I guess I am a casual fan but if I like the material so much I should do some, as you put it, scavaging. Thank you for the kind words. You take good care too.

I've heard all songs quoted so far in the thread for the first time tonight and yesterday. I can't be considered a diehard fan I suppose, but I just don't and never have had the income to purchase singles. I do know this, however. I get the songs. Maybe I wasn't meant to hear them until tonight, God works in mysterious ways.

Stephane needs to correct the chorus to Heir Apparent, the third word sung is "aware." Slap me on the ass at your own risk. :cool:
Hey CrystalGeezer, we meet again. I'm in the same camp, hearing these songs for the first time. I like Heir apparent.

As a result I now find there are a plethora of tracks that I do not know. For example I recently disconvered 'Now I am a was' and 'No one can hold a candle to you'. Tremendous songs!

"No One Can Hold A Candle To You" is a cover version, but brilliant nonetheless :).

"No One Can Hold A Candle To You" is a cover version, but brilliant nonetheless :).
Hey Amy, I heard this song for the first time recently and it blew me away. It amy be a cover but it's better than the original methinks. My song of the moment.

Then don't.

Unfair to who? Ever since records were made there have been reissues. Sometimes with and sometimes without additional/different tracklistings. Just ask the Beatles, Rolling Stones, and every other band worth anything.

You meathead. Didn't you check to see what was on the album before you bought it? Caveat Emptor!!

Then don't.

Unfair to who? Ever since records were made there have been reissues. Sometimes with and sometimes without additional/different tracklistings. Just ask the Beatles, Rolling Stones, and every other band worth anything.

You meathead. Didn't you check to see what was on the album before you bought it? Caveat Emptor!!
Bloody Hell SparkleBoy, you are a snarky git. I guess I should defend myself:
1) My objection lies in the fact that purchasing an old album with bonus tracks is the only way to get the bonus tracks (short of searching for them off the internet). Is that clear or do you need a diagram?
2) It's unfair to the likes of me having to buy the same album twice. And I know this is not a new practice but Moz seems to do it quite alot.
3) Swords is a collection of odd tracks not on albums so I did not know the tracks.

The record companies are sure lucky to have a brain box like you out there to defend their practices.

Bloody Hell SparkleBoy, you are a snarky git. I guess I should defend myself:
1) My objection lies in the fact that purchasing an old album with bonus tracks is the only way to get the bonus tracks (short of searching for them off the internet). Is that clear or do you need a diagram?
2) It's unfair to the likes of me having to buy the same album twice. And I know this is not a new practice but Moz seems to do it quite alot.
3) Swords is a collection of odd tracks not on albums so I did not know the tracks.

The record companies are sure lucky to have a brain box like you out there to defend their practices.

Personally, I can't stand record company practices - they have been f***ing all of us for decades. However, meatheads like yourself keep some fire in their ovens. After all, you purchased Swords!!

Me too. I hate the way "You Are the Quarry" was handled. Both issues should have been released simultaneously, then we'd have a choice upfront.

Back
Top Bottom