I had a vision

swift eclipse

If Morrissey was to, God forbid, die suddenly, tons of bands and singers of all kinds big and small the world over would play his songs in tribute. So many artists appreciate him. It will be an amazing outpouring of adulation. It's strange, but it seems like sometimes people forget how much someone means to them until they are taken away. I feel like a lot of people that have been inspired by him or just simply enjoy his singing have already forgotten him. So much great music. 20,000 members here. How many actually still active? I know he still plays to many thousands on tour, but it's a big world and I have to believe that those that have moved on will some day be shaken when they find out that he's gone. Famous when dead for sure.

As Moz himself said in 2014 regarding his death

"They'll all turn up finally ready with praise once I'm out of earshot. Who cared about John Lennon in the years leading up to his death? No one. I'm not saying I'm as known as John Lennon because obviously I'm not."

If Morrissey was to, God forbid, die suddenly, tons of bands and singers of all kinds big and small the world over would play his songs in tribute. So many artists appreciate him. It will be an amazing outpouring of adulation. It's strange, but it seems like sometimes people forget how much someone means to them until they are taken away. I feel like a lot of people that have been inspired by him or just simply enjoy his singing have already forgotten him. So much great music. 20,000 members here. How many actually still active? I know he still plays to many thousands on tour, but it's a big world and I have to believe that those that have moved on will some day be shaken when they find out that he's gone. Famous when dead for sure.

When the death of the drummer from the Inspiral Carpets makes the front page of the BBC news website, it gives you an indication of how extensively Morrissey's will be reported.
When people talk about the death of famous people, it's often a little patronising and presumptuous, as if they will inevitably outlive the person in question. There's obviously a chance that many people reading this will not themselves be alive when Moz passes on.

"They'll all turn up finally ready with praise once I'm out of earshot. Who cared about John Lennon in the years leading up to his death? No one. I'm not saying I'm as known as John Lennon because obviously I'm not."

I'm not a huge Beatles/Lennon fan, but this is somewhat disingenuous, for the simple fact that Lennon removed himself from public life after the birth of his son Sean in 1975. He was persona non grata as a musician during that time. It follows that there was "nothing" to care about.

I agree with the premise of what you're saying, swift eclipse. There will be surely be a huge outpouring of grief and tributes from fans upon Moz's death...which I hope is many years in the future.
Having said that, I think that there still love for the living Moz. Not as much as in the 1990's or early 2000's, but it's still there.
The Morrissey Day news was everywhere, even in the entertainment section of newspapers here on the opposite side of the USA from Moz Angeles. And I did notice a lot of excitement for the news of the new album and single, even from non-Morrissey fans I work with who had seen coverage of the news from Rolling Stone or Consequence of Sound.

I quite enjoy what Bowie did for his 50th birthday. It was the same sort of schtick that happens when a musician dies, but he was there to sing along with them. How cool would it be if Morrissey did something along those lines?

There will be many people commenting on his death. Linder, James Maker, Chrissie Hynde, Russell Brand, Jonathan Ross, his present and past band members including Johnny and even Mike, Damien Dempsey, the usual suspects. But I'm sure there will also be comments from people we don't expect and some surprising and new anecdotes.

There will be many people commenting on his death. Linder, James Maker, Chrissie Hynde, Russell Brand, Jonathan Ross, his present and past band members including Johnny and even Mike, Damien Dempsey, the usual suspects. But I'm sure there will also be comments from people we don't expect and some surprising and new anecdotes.

Yet again, some of those people may well not outlive Morrissey, as you and I might not either. It's funny when we talk about the future death of a celebrity. We all somehow assume that we're going to outlive them. Unless we are a lot younger than then, and our lives are free of tragic accidents and illness, there is no rational reason for this!

Blimey. You sound like you're quite looking forward to it.

I found myself wondering recently what his current band would do - provided of course it is comprised of all the same band members when he passes. Part of me can't see it happening - but would they do anything together after his passing?

One thing's for sure, there haven't been a ton of folks like Morrissey in the past century; it's going to be a very strange feeling when he dies. Hopefully it's merely complications with old age and nothing sudden and unexpected.

I found myself wondering recently what his current band would do - provided of course it is comprised of all the same band members when he passes. Part of me can't see it happening - but would they do anything together after his passing?

One thing's for sure, there haven't been a ton of folks like Morrissey in the past century; it's going to be a very strange feeling when he dies. Hopefully it's merely complications with old age and nothing sudden and unexpected.

And what if Morrissey was to outlive his current band? What would he do?
And what if Morrissey were to outlive you - you would never have any knowledge of what happened when he died. Have you considered that at all? You or I could get struck by a bus tomorrow.
It's amazing how people have so little sense of their own mortality, convinced that they will outlive everyone else, and witness everyone else's death. A form of madness.

Boz would go solo and the rest would join stadium

I feel like a lot of people that have been inspired by him or just simply enjoy his singing have already forgotten him. So much great music. 20,000 members here. How many actually still active? I know he still plays to many thousands on tour, but it's a big world and I have to believe that those that have moved on will some day be shaken when they find out that he's gone. Famous when dead for sure.
This has been said before by other posters, but many very devoted Moz fans/IR types don’t post on this site for a variety of reasons and have moved on to FB groups, Instagram and Twitter instead.

As Brian Clough once said, "Don't send me flowers when I'm dead, If you like me send them while I'm alive". I think people have done that with Morrissey, say what you like about him and people often do, but most people have an opinion on him now whether they like him or not and aren't shy in airing it. If he died he'd get the same treatment as the likes of Bowie and Prince, just with loads of people slagging him off too which is a shame but if you live your life spouting what you believe in that's going to happen.

It's always the way. People will forget/forgive how much of a dick Morrissey was, and just focus on the music.

'Her friend has had to fend off criticism for his statements about immigration and the Hollywood sexual abuse scandal. Does she worry about him?

“No, he’s been there before. He’s buoyant. He’s got a sell-out tour happening, so no worries whatsoever. There’ve been so many periods of rough press, haven’t there. It just happens if you’re not toeing the party line. Most British musicians don’t have that many shock-horror headlines about themselves because they don’t say anything of interest.”' - LINDER

:cool:

This somehow reminds me of Lennon saying "I never said we were bigger than Jesus".

Last edited:

Tour as "Speedway: A Tribute to Morrissey featuring Gustavo Manzur" and charge an ass-load of money because they would know the cash cow is kaput!

What song do you want at your funeral?

'Please Don’t Talk About Me When I’m Gone by Ethel Waters.'
- MORRISSEY

Years we've been together
Seems we can't get along,
No matter what I do
I don't appeal to you
Makes no difference whether
I am right or wrong
If we can't be sweethearts
This much you can do

Please don't talk about me when I'm gone
Oh, Honey, though our friendship ceases from now on
And listen, if you can't say anything real nice
It's better not to talk at all, that's my advice
We're parting, you go your way, I'll go mine
It's best that we do
Here's a kiss, I hope that this brings lots of luck to you
Makes no difference how I carry on
Just remember
Please don't talk about me when I'm gone.

:cool:

journalists, take note.

Tour as "Speedway: A Tribute to Morrissey featuring Gustavo Manzur" and charge an ass-load of money because they would know the cash cow is kaput!
I realize you meant this jokingly, but I could actually see this happening.

Back
Top Bottom