I gave up on Mozza years ago - Morrissey: Live is proof that I was right to do it - newstatesman.com

Re: I gave up on Mozza years ago - Morrissey: Live is proof that I was right to do it - newstatesman

This isn't a film review. It's a narcissistic eulogy for the death of his fandom.

Re: I gave up on Mozza years ago - Morrissey: Live is proof that I was right to do it - newstatesman

A rambling review, but it's hard not to agree with the following:

"The low-point of the movie shows Morrissey handing the microphone to a selection of front-row fans who compete to give the best impressions of lobotomy patients (“Thank you for living,” says one). We can’t blame them, though. It’s Morrissey who disgraces himself by fishing for their compliments using an industrial trawler. His egotism can only undermine the sincerity of a song like “Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want,” released in 1984 but performed here in an overwrought new arrangement. To hear him sing “For once in my life, let me get what I want” after several fans have done everything short of offering themselves up to him for sacrifice is ungrateful at best, disingenuous at worst."

Ever decreasing circles of co-dependency with the 'fans' whilst the wider, more critical Audience either left long ago or now only go, like me, for the perverse lulz. It will be the mother and father of all comebacks if Morrissey can rekindle the fire in his belly: artistic fire, not the fire of a dodgy tomato pasta! It's not only Moz, nearly all heritage 'genius' acts (McCartney, Dylan, Cohen) have come to resemble an enormous Boomer Graveyard, whether selling the dreams of counterculture 60s or punk 'rage' via Ticketmaster 'convenience' charges. At least Moz has never done the VIP 'meet'n'greet' horror pre/post gig thing. Maybe that's next!

the wider, more critical Audience either left long ago or now only go, like me, for the perverse lulz.

And you seriously expect anyone to believe that?? Presumbably you spend hours penning those interminable, rambling, narcissistic front page essays for the same reason?

Hilarious that you feel you need to offer an excuse/apology - and sad that it's so utterly unconvincing.

What a boring read...

Is it even possible to see this movie? All of the theaters mentioned as carrying it in my local area (per the website) make no mention anywhere on their websites about this film. I even checked the calendar for Thursday August 29 and no mention at all of Morrissey 25, though it shows a full list of screenings for that night, all of which I can purchase tickets for.

Is it even possible to see this movie? All of the theaters mentioned as carrying it in my local area (per the website) make no mention anywhere on their websites about this film. I even checked the calendar for Thursday August 29 and no mention at all of Morrissey 25, though it shows a full list of screenings for that night, all of which I can purchase tickets for.

My local theater just posted it on their website yesterday. Give your theater a call, Chip, and confirm the date and time. See if you can pre-order tickets over the phone.

Last edited:

It's curious how little has changed over the years. I think Moz himself made the point that reviewers tended to review him rather than the music.

My local theater just posted it on their website yesterday. Give them a call, Chip, and confirm the date and time. See if you can pre-order tickets over the phone.

My local theatre cancelled at the eleventh hour reason being the projector guy had to leave because Mother in law (who lives in Gothenburg) had come down with a severe cold :(

Mustn't grumble

I think it's a fair review. It reads like a love letter to someone who once was and in slightly different circumstances might still have been, and we all have one of those tucked away in our pasts, don't we?

It rightly mentions the toe-curling statements of the last few years, which have been far, far more damaging to his career than any of his rotten recent material.

I think it's a bit harsh on Dylan and Cohen though, both of whom are still producing interesting and challenging work into their seventh decade. Like Morrissey they both went through fallow periods. Unlike Morrissey you always got the feeling they had more in them somewhere, rather than just a fading hope.

And you seriously expect anyone to believe that?? Presumbably you spend hours penning those interminable, rambling, narcissistic front page essays for the same reason?

Hilarious that you feel you need to offer an excuse/apology - and sad that it's so utterly unconvincing.

It doesn't concern me if anyone even reads my screeds, never mind 'believe' my perspective. I spend hours (minutes actually as I'm a trained stenographer) because I am interesting in the politics of hegemony, including the delusions of 'star' and 'fan'. I feel no need to apologise for this activity though I am pleased you find it hilarious. Laughter is the best medicine. I am not here to convince you or anyone else. You might want to register on the site so you can put me on 'ignore'. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

regards.

This isn't a film review. It's a narcissistic eulogy for the death of his fandom.

pretty much goes for ninety percent of the posts on here.

I think it's a fair review. It reads like a love letter to someone who once was and in slightly different circumstances might still have been, and we all have one of those tucked away in our pasts, don't we?

It rightly mentions the toe-curling statements of the last few years, which have been far, far more damaging to his career than any of his rotten recent material.

I think it's a bit harsh on Dylan and Cohen though, both of whom are still producing interesting and challenging work into their seventh decade. Like Morrissey they both went through fallow periods. Unlike Morrissey you always got the feeling they had more in them somewhere, rather than just a fading hope.

speak for yourself sap, no hope but still here day after day after day after day??

So the New Statesman writer "gave up" on Moz, yet watched the film...? Sounds like he didn't give up at all. This has the all trademarks of people on So_Low who claim to have "given up" yet continue to keep abreast of every minute career development and come here continually just to criticise. People who had genuinely "given up" would have stopped caring, they wouldn't be expending energy writing articles for the New Statesman and/or contributing to fan forums on a regular basis.

Strange that you should see this as so controversial. Do you really believe Moz is vital part of the current scene and is constantly garnering new fans with his fresh new music?

Was that article by Ryan Gilbey supposed to be a review of the upcoming film, or was it just another 'pissed off at the moment at Morrissey' bitch fest? Im going with the latter, In which case, blah-blah-blah...heard it all before. I believe he did say,'and how I loved Morrissey', and something to do with loving his shirt. That along with mentioning a few of the concerts he actually enjoyed. Gee, thank you for summarizing your clear love of the man and his work so eloquently and with such reverence. Ive broken up with girlfriends with more passion than that. Since its title had the words, "I gave up on Mozza years ago, why didn't he write this obituary then? Years ago. What, you had to wait for Moz to piss you off one last time before cutting the cord? As sad as I am to constantly read posts, reviews, and articles from 'former fans' relinquishing their once unswerving devotion, it also makes me happy. Happy because: I am now rid of you forever, provided you hold up your end and piss off for good.
I wont have to compete with you for concert tickets since you clearly despise his live shows and his band.
You will now sell any memorabilia you have amassed that I can buy cheaply on Ebay.
And, most importantly, I AM NOW RID OF YOU FOREVER, PROVIDED YOU HOLD UP YOUR END AND PISS OFF FOR GOOD!

Personally, I still love the man, and I am not alone. I await the new film with great anticipation. I look forward to seeing him in concert again, (without you) and will happily hand over my hard earned dough when a new album is released. I can only hope, (for your sake and the sake of the other 'drop-outs') that it is so good and is so beloved by everyone, including music critics, (not that anyone gives a shit what they think, but you see my point) that you will enjoy eating your words with your chips. Go ahead and laugh at me. Come back with a witty reply that will put me in my place. Tell me I am a fool for standing by Morrissey. On you go if you must. Just remember, I might not hear you because I will be listening to the one voice I still love, and the only one I need.

The writer of this article should have stopped in the third paragraph with "I was insufferably pretentious". However, this earth moving statement of shattering levels of cosmic-changing self awareness, really should have been stated and left in the present tense.

Astraea

I am a new fan, I grew up on punk music, didnt listen to smiths. The more I watch videos of him the more I am in awe, btw I am not depressed or on brink of suicide, happy and healthy, he makes me smile.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom