'I feel like I've been had': Morrissey's collaborators respond to his politics - The Guardian

Link retweeted by @ericacalil:

'I feel like I've been had': Morrissey's collaborators respond to his politics - The Guardian
The former Smiths singer’s new album features guest spots from Billie Joe Armstrong and Grizzly Bear’s Ed Droste. Are they not put off by his increasingly unpleasant right-wing stance?

Excerpt:

As US music magazine the Fader asked: “What possible reason could any of these people have for lining up behind Morrissey now?”

Droste declined to comment. The only artist willing to speak with the Guardian was Canadian vocalist Ariel Engle, who performs with cult indie outfit Broken Social Scene. She received a call from the American producer Joe Chiccarelli asking her to contribute backing vocals for a cover of Joni Mitchell’s Don’t Interrupt the Sorrow. “I thought, ‘Oh the Smiths, sure’,” she says. “It was $500 for two hours’ work.”

Engle says she didn’t become aware of Morrissey’s political views until the album was announced and a friend emailed to question her involvement. “It’s a very weak argument to claim ignorance,” she says, “but it is my argument. It’s not an excuse but it happens to be the truth.”

Morrissey’s manager, Peter Katsis, says he is unaware of statements made by any guest vocalists, but that the intention of the covers album was supposed to be fun. “This is where his head is at,” he says. “Maybe enough has been said with the last few albums being political.” Of Morrissey’s political views, Katsis says: “I manage his artistic career and sometimes I have to deal with things he says, but it’s not for me to comment.”

Chiccarelli echoes Katsis’s sentiment. “I can’t speak to Moz’s politics,” he says. “I’m a record-maker. I’ve known him 10 years and he’s been a gentleman and a pleasure. I consider him a friend.” When asked about the far-right figures for whom Morrissey has expressed support, Chiccarelli says: “I’d really have to research it and see if it crossed a particular line for me.”

Engle says that learning of Morrissey’s political opinions has left a “bad taste”, and that she stands in opposition to his views. “The inflammatory things he says are not my politics. I think he’s completely out of line. I grew up around multiculturalism and I am the product of multiculturalism and immigration. I feel like I’ve been had, but it’s my fault.”

The American singer LP offered a statement through a PR representative: “As I’m a huge fan of his music and poetry, I was honoured to be asked to collaborate on the album.” Representatives for Lydia Night of California band the Regrettes offered no comment, but the 18-year-old told punk magazine Kerrang!: “I’ve grown up loving the Smiths – my cat’s name is Morrissey!” Representatives for Armstrong said he was in the studio and therefore unreachable.

The guest stars on California Son are all North American, suggesting a difference between perceptions of the former Smiths frontman in the US and UK. Katsis, who is American, sees the critical focus on Morrissey’s politics as a British preoccupation.

“I don’t think they know enough about it to care about it,” he says of Morrissey’s US fans. “I don’t feel knowledgable enough to comment on British politics, therefore it’s probably not as important to me or the international fans as it is to UK fans. This whole thing has had me perplexed. The subjects are very complicated and dividing.”

The figures bear out Morrissey’s enduring support across the Atlantic. He ended 2018 with arena shows in North and South America, and has announced his first Canadian tour in 20 years for this April. In November 2017, Los Angeles City Council declared 10 November “Morrissey Day”.

“In America, he tends to be seen as the rock star who sang about queer life and spoke openly about feminism when nobody else did,” says Rolling Stone critic Rob Sheffield. “These two images define him, and he’s still seen in terms of his pioneering place in history. His grumpy old age is not really held against him. Americans tend not to follow UK politics very closely, so when he makes mind-blowingly offensive statements there might be outrage or humiliation for a few days, or hours, but then it’s back to listening to The Queen Is Dead”.

Media coverage:

Last edited:
" They Know What I Do", you stupid f***er, what in God's name do you do? I'm pissing my sides here pal, lol....come on, tell us your big fat massive job, Taxi Driver? :rofl:

Yep they do and enjoy some nice discounted breaks in some of the properties we have on our books. Some posters on here actually know each other and live not far from each other, has that ever occurred to you?

Ha! Course not, that was a well-thought out and reasoned piece. I do fall into the category of someone who doesn't have any Smiths and Moz stuff anymore, but I can't blame it on his Nazi-aggrandisement, I gave them all away before that happened.
I don't understand why anyone would get rid of Smiths/Moz stuff. The music is still the music, and always will be. Nobody can take anything away from the music. Why do we have to love the man too? Only a Sith thinks in absolutes, my Dark Lord.
Signed: Jabba The Slut.

Why not pop down and give them a gobfull, seeing as you are in London.

The Guardian - Kings Place, 90 York Way, Kings Cross, London N1 9GU

Well, the problem with these people (middle-class faux-leftists in love with neoliberalism who live in bijou houses in gentrified Hackney) is that by giving them a gobful I would actually frighten the life out of them - and I mean probably cause a few coronaries and get done for manslaughter. An actually-real scary working class person... a member of a much-maligned mythic alien race in their midst....

If I marched into Guardian HQ with a salute yelling Heil Trump it would be all their neurotic paranoiac nightmares come true. These people forever harp on about the rise of the right and how full blown fascism is just around the corner and here I would be, a living embodiment of all their Hieronymus Boschian fantasies, alive and kicking in a sudden Forth Reichian here and now...

It would be quite funny. But I'm sure I wouldn't get past their only non-white, non-middle-class employees: the African security guys on the door.

Last edited:
Yep they do and enjoy some nice discounted breaks in some of the properties we have on our books. Some posters on here actually know each other and live not far from each other, has that ever occurred to you?
No, it's never occurred to me, why would it? Not everyone is perfect. Can I have a discounted break?

It's all about the money. Watch Morrissey do a reverse ferret when he realises his career is irreversibly f***ed and he can't make money anymore. What will you say then?

For someone who prides himself on his self-proclaimed intelligence, you don't half say some incredibly stupid things.

Anyway, this entire thread has excelled itself in being the most embarrassing barrel of shite ever published on Solo. Just take a look at some of the comments... f***ing imbeciles. How that Surface fella can look himself in the mirror without vomitting, I will never know.

Bye.

No, only people I know get them and I certainly wouldn't let any of the anonymous morons on here anywhere near one of our places.
Ok, no discounted place for me then,... Bugger!!, but my last line here, I reckon your alright, just typing bollocks myself really, I wish you well, as I do anyone, I'm a fan of Morrissey, that's why I post on here, Genuine Good Luck!! :thumb:

Although Cromwell died of natural causes, his body was posthumously hung, drawn, and quartered. Not only that, but his severed head was placed on a 20 foot spiked pole above Westminster Hall where it remained for nearly 30 years. It's strange that you can be so mad at someone that you want to mutilate their body without being aware that that is actually what already happened. It's almost like you've never really looked into it or something...
Neither has Morrissey, which is why he inexplicably thought that the Royal Family salute Cromwell, and will do so forever :confused::confused:
Uhm, no, Morrissey, buddy; Cromwell committed regicide and his severed head was on a f***ing spike in public for 30 years, he's not exactly the sort of person the Royals speak about in hushed reverential tones.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Cromwell's_head
Morrissey is spot on actually.
Oliver Cromwell is exactly their sort of person. Their methods of gaining power and wealth are an homage to him.

The so called royal family used Cromwells methods on the native population s in every country they invaded and subjugated. Take the Australian Aborigines for example who only got status as human beings in 1967 and make up only around 3% of the population today. We won't even talk about what they did in Africa, and India.
The crown exported food from Ireland during the successive famines in Ireland including 1845 the year when a Conservative estimate of 1million people died. Elizabeth did apologise for that and various other atrocities on her first visit to Ireland a few years ago but as she is a direct descendent of Vlad the Impaler I would take it with a grain of salt. Her dear old mum did coin the term "wogs" after all.
The Irish are the only white country in the world to have been treated as badly as the natives in non white countries, by the colonising English forces.
Oliver Cromwell killed 41% of the Irish population in what is now termed ethnic cleansing because he considered the Irish subhuman. In addition he sent entire areas in Ireland to Barbados as slave labour for the sugar plantations.

Oliver Cromwell was picked as one of the top ten Britons of all time in a BBC poll in 2002.
But then the victors write the history and obviously most people don't question it.

I think it's about time that people said they are racist and didn't live in fear. I worry about the country I was born in. This word 'racist' seems to be bandied around as though its the worse thing you could ever be. I don't like people of different races to me. After saying that though, I would never hurt them. My friend Mark was a black man and he loved Morrissey. We'd listen to the Smiths on many a night. But don't stop me being racist. I distinguish between races. Being racist is an arbitrary condition.

There are truly disgusting ideologies being popularised on this forum, as evidenced by this statement; all in the sake of never criticising Morrissey. Personality cult at its finest, and it's quite sad that most here cannot see that.

No, it's never occurred to me, why would it? Not everyone is perfect. Can I have a discounted break?

a discounted break. :rofl:

hes a name dropping skinny sock puppet, EVERYONE here knows that FFS
two self loving twats=:sweet:

:lbf:

There are truly disgusting ideologies being popularised on this forum, as evidenced by this statement; all in the sake of never criticising Morrissey. Personality cult at its finest, and it's quite sad that most here cannot see that.
In psychology it is well known that everybody is racist - black, brown, white, yellow. From insects to animals to humans we are all sceptical of the other. It is how any species survives, by noticing difference, by discriminating and responding accordingly.

5 tour dates sold out

Now it's time for some UK dates...
f
....to be cancelled, with the usual milquetoast excuses and self-veneration (verbal wank) from the usual sources that'll be shared as screenshots and laughed at amongst friends. :brows:

Yea, that would be so so great, I need it, Moz is 60 in May, gotta be a Manchester gig on that day, theirs everyone wanting it, only tossers like dave islam who don't. So come do it Moz!!, I will sort Dickhead Dave out, I wanted to last time actually, lol, had it all planned, he's made a paper that mon, shite DJ, overall shithead, lets do it!!!!

In psychology it is well known that everybody is racist - black, brown, white, yellow. From insects to animals to humans we are all sceptical of the other. It is how any species survives, by noticing difference, by discriminating and responding accordingly.

BOLLOCKS.

Yea, that would be so so great, I need it, Moz is 60 in May, gotta be a Manchester gig on that day, theirs everyone wanting it, only tossers like dave islam who don't. So come do it Moz!!, I will sort Dickhead Dave out, I wanted to last time actually, lol, had it all planned, he's made a paper that mon, shite DJ, overall shithead, lets do it!!!!

Where in Manchester do you suggest he plays?

With fans like this, who needs detractors? You justify the things that 'Skinny and Surface - amongst others - say. Someone mentioned taking screenshots to share with friends to laugh at.
All of these posts show you up for the fools you are and continue to be. Wankers - the lot of you.

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom