I fear Moz will miss out on a top ten placing tomorrow

Bournemoz

According to havenforum.co.uk, its midweek position has seen him slipped out of the top ten and is set to be a "top 20" hit. Don't have the exact placing but it looks as if we're going to be disappointed.

Can somebody please, please explain this obsession with chart positions?

Do they really matter that much and why?

From this tour and some previous ones we learned that they never ever really give you a real insight into anyone's popularity. He might be #6 or #16 on the chart but he's still #1 in sold out venues wherever he goes.

I can't see where all this worry comes from but that's probably just silly me.

Bournemoz said:
According to havenforum.co.uk, its midweek position has seen him slipped out of the top ten and is set to be a "top 20" hit. Don't have the exact placing but it looks as if we're going to be disappointed.

No need to be disapointed dude, it's a f***ing marvelous tune!

I think the point we are missing is that despite the fact we dont care if he makes the top ten or not, its Morrissey himself who wants it. I'm sure he wouldnt have lowered himself by reading out that number at V for us to download, if he wasn't desperately trying to get a better position in the charts.

Its criminal that real music like his, even with this modern technology still dosn't make it.

Morrissey should just get over it. The singles charts are over. He should stop living in the past. It's all about niche artists these days. Mainstream artists are doing nothing of any worth.

Black Eyed said:
I think the point we are missing is that despite the fact we dont care if he makes the top ten or not, its Morrissey himself who wants it.

If he's obsessed with the charts he's a man of the past.

I think he's not, therefore, I think chart success doesn't even remotely interest him as much as increased sales that determent chart success in the first place (and a little thing we like to call "the bank account"). I don't blame him for that just disliked the fact that he's been dwelling over it almost everywhere. Dare I say it made him look a bit .. pathetic?

DeliciousDemon said:
If he's obsessed with the charts he's a man of the past.

I think he's not, therefore, I think chart success doesn't even remotely interest him as much as increased sales that determent chart success in the first place (and a little thing we like to call "the bank account"). I don't blame him for that just disliked the fact that he's been dwelling over it almost everywhere. Dare I say it made him look a bit .. pathetic?

I don't think he's a man of the past nor pathetic.
If you're a singer/musician releasing a single, you'd like to have a successful chart position.

As all we know, his greatest achivement is that despite the series of poor chart positions his songs remain timeless and keep touching millions' hearts:)

Kewpie said:
As all we know, his greatest achivement is that despite the series of poor chart positions his songs remain timeless and keep touching millions' hearts:)

Agree.

My point just was that an artist of such grandure like Morrissey should get over the chart and airplay issues and learn to appreciate other things that are there - sold-out venues, milions of devoted fans who are capable of traveling accross a continent just to see him play and who are willing to buy all 3 versions of one single just to make sure they didn't miss out on a single note ...

Charts and sales are really not everything. He should know better.

I'm afraid chart positions (and record sales in particular) are very important if Moz is to continue as a contemporary recording artist and not be resigned to the nostalgia circuit.

his chart form and record sales nose-dived in the mid 1990s which is why he was left without a record deal (which he considered acceptable) for 7 years.

if you don't care about how many records Morrissey sells or what position he reaches in the chart, presumably you'd be happy to wait til 2013 for the next new Morrissey album?

DeliciousDemon said:
Agree.

My point just was that an artist of such grandure like Morrissey should get over the chart and airplay issues and learn to appreciate other things that are there - sold-out venues, milions of devoted fans who are capable of traveling accross a continent just to see him play and who are willing to buy all 3 versions of one single just to make sure they didn't miss out on a single note ...

I think this one failed because of the live track B-sides which were simply album songs rerecorded. Bad move by the terrible Sanctuary - have they lost their touch?

Mada said:
I think this one failed because of the live track B-sides which were simply album songs rerecorded. Bad move by the terrible Sanctuary - have they lost their touch?

I can't see putting the blame for this on Sanctuary. I can't for a minute believe that Morrissey would not have complete say as to what songs went on the single. I think there just weren't any other songs he felt were worthy and available for release.

Mada said:

I thought that until I listened to them. I reckon these live versions are far better than the studio versions and therefore I am pleased I bought the singles.

DeliciousDemon said:
Agree.

Yes, but here's my point: They are important to Morrissey. Also, HE IS such an important artist and, presumably, important to all of us as a person (otherwise, why would we be here?), so I deeply feel we should do everything possible to get him to the top of the charts -- especially if that's what he wants.

In addition to that point, it is also important in keeping him off the 'nostalgia circuit', as Maurice E mentioned.

I think many (myself included) have been too quick to dismiss the importance of chart positioning. Upon closer examination -- good or bad, right or wrong -- it actually is pretty important.

Musings said:
Yes, but here's my point: They are important to Morrissey. Also, HE IS such an important artist and, presumably, important to all of us as a person (otherwise, why would we be here?), so I deeply feel we should do everything possible to get him to the top of the charts -- especially if that's what he wants.

My mother would now probably tell you "So, if Morrissey wanted you to jump off the bridge because he found it important, would you do it?" :D

Seriously, I do understand he finds charts important but nobody yet explained to me why. Why does he crave that kind of validation when he is validated by his admirers (and, in a way, most of his critics) in every other way possible?

In my opinion it really isn't either-or situation. I don't think that chart-unsuccess automatically makes you a part of the nostalgia circuit. Just look at his tour and you'll know the man is a success and in no way in danger of being unattractive to record companies and a younger/wider audience.

I now wanted to give you a real in-depth analysis of today's CD-buying audience but unfortunately I still have to pretend I'm more interested in my work then morrissey-solo forums :) However, if someone insists that we discuss that I could jump in and give my point of view the next time my boss heads out for a cup of coffee.

Back
Top Bottom