I don't like Johnny Marr

Preens in photos! Bwahahahaha! Nobody is more down to earth than Johnny Marr.

This lack of perception is almost comforting because it allows me to stop caring what people with goofy opinions think. Oh, the absurdity!

Good points, dailyalice.

I'm glad you've stopped caring what people think, it might help you next time you visit London and get called fatty on the street.

I'm glad you've stopped caring what people think, it might help you next time you visit London and get called fatty on the street.

Clearly, you have won this round. My fat invalidates my every opinion and statement. Thank you for reminding me of my place. I should know better by now.

C'mon, personal attacks are really unnecessary.

When talking about his mixing desks or whatever, he's probably talking to fellow musicians and guitar players - they probably find that stuff terribly interesting. I don't find it interesting either. But choosing not to read interviews by him or being bored by his interviews does not automatically lead me to actively dislike him. It just means I prefer to spend my time appreciating his music.

Also, Johnny Marr's main venue for providing entertainment is through his music, not through interviews. Only people like Paris Hilton have to be interesting in their interviews and personal life because there is nothing else. Johnny has talent, which is why people bother to interview him in the first place.

At worst, I'd be indifferent to him (only I can't coz Moz loves him and I love Moz and so I have to have a little warm spot for him.)

Last edited:
C'mon, personal attacks are really unnecessary.

When talking about his mixing desks or whatever, he's probably talking to fellow musicians and guitar players - they probably find that stuff terribly interesting. I don't find it interesting either. But choosing not to read interviews by him or being bored by his interviews does not automatically lead me to actively dislike him. It just means I prefer to spend my time appreciating his music.

Also, Johnny Marr's main venue for providing entertainment is through his music, not through interviews. Only people like Paris Hilton have to be interesting in their interviews and personal life because there is nothing else. Johnny has talent, which is why people bother to interview him in the first place.

At worst, I'd be indifferent to him (only I can't coz Moz loves him and I love Moz and so I have to have a little warm spot for him.)

I didn't say that to her; she posted a thread about it.
The thread is called 'i don't like johnny marr' I said why I don't like him. It's my opinion, so why all the outrage and condemnation? I don't condemn others for liking him.
He has talent; but he leaves me cold. That's how I feel.

I really am interested in why you dislike Johnny. Is it because he broke up The Smiths? Is it the way he did it? I ask because I had similarly unpleasant feelings towards him for those reasons when I was younger. Now, though, having heard his side of it and his feelings about the situation, and taking into account that he was just a kid at the time, I completely forgive him for it. (Not that it was my place to have anything to forgive, but you know how teens can be when their favorite band breaks up.) Also, being that none of us were there we can't possibly know what other hidden factors were involved in that decision.

So if you heard Mike's side of the story and his feelings about the situation and taking into account that he is the same age as Johnny, would you completely forgive him too?:squiffy:
:popcorn:

Jukebox Jury

So if you heard Mike's side of the story and his feelings about the situation and taking into account that he is the same age as Johnny, would you completely forgive him too?:squiffy:
:popcorn:

Jukebox Jury

I have heard Mike's side of the story. It's bullshit. (Also, if it's important to you to talk about this further, I'll do it in a non-public place because I refuse to say more about THAT stuff in public... Not that I want to talk about it at all.)

Last edited:
What people?

I don't want to LIVE with my popstars, I want to be entertained by them. Someone being bad in interviews is a perfectly good reason to dislike them, what's the point in a boring popstar?
I don't want to hear about Johnny Marr's extensive guitar collection or what mixing desk he uses or what brand of hair gel he's got. He's over.

Wow, Like I said their is a differance between ignorance and being stupid.
Johnny Marr is a guitar player and if the Smiths were not appealing to your EARS then I would say you have very bad taste in music.
Simple as that..
Do not even go there when it comes to Johnny Marrs talent. It is just wrong. very wrong.

The thread is called 'i don't like johnny marr' I said why I don't like him. It's my opinion, so why all the outrage and condemnation? I don't condemn others for liking him.

Because Johnny Marr has already been measured.. Long ago.. Morrissey may have not had a chance and well did have this opportunity becasue of the Smiths.. Yes 2 out of 4 took tha lead and the other was Mr Morrissey a genius yes.Plus Johnny Marr does not deserves any negitivity..

Last edited:

I just want to know if you've ever actually listened to any Smiths songs. Because, I know there are people out there who avow a love for Morrissey but don't know what, or who, the Smiths were. That's chronologically possible, though it blows my mind.

Leaves you cold? Try listening again. Really. That was some good stuff.

I have heard Mike's side of the story. It's bullshit. (Also, if it's important to you to talk about this further, I'll do it in a non-public place because I refuse to say more about THAT stuff in public... Not that I want to talk about it at all.)

No, it's not important at all for me to discuss it. I was just curious to see if you would put the same theory as to why you now ''love'' Johnny into possibly ''loving'' Mike? Obviously not:squiffy:
I'd be curious to know who or where you heard both Johnny's and Mike's side of the story from that sold you on Johnny but not Mike?

Jukebox Jury

PS off to work, so look forward to the reply:thumb:

No, it's not important at all for me to discuss it. I was just curious to see if you would put the same theory as to why you now ''love'' Johnny into possibly ''loving'' Mike? Obviously not:squiffy:
I'd be curious to know who or where you heard both Johnny's and Mike's side of the story from that sold you on Johnny but not Mike?

Jukebox Jury

PS off to work, so look forward to the reply:thumb:

You are assuming a lot. I will not answer those questions in public, but they're not the answers you're betting on. Your "obviously not" is wrong as well.

How about this: I invite you to tell YOUR tale in public.

Don't assume you're the only one, JJ. It's unusual, but it's not that unusual.

EDIT: Actually, you know what? I won't even discuss this with you privately. I don't know what came over me for a moment. Of course you like Mike. You two are very similar types.

Last edited:
Johnny = awesome. I don't care what he sounds like in interviews, I think he's an amazing guitarist and songwriter. He might not have produced anything particularly amazing post-Smiths (although if you give it a listen it's not disappointing - I quite like Electronic's Raise the Pressure) but it doesn't mean his Smiths work is somehow negated.

Besides which I think the person who started this thread wanted to get a rise out of people. The "I hate Morrissey" threads have been done to death, so it's time to do another "I hate Johnny" thread (I assume it's been done before... I'm not a cynic for nothing).

And... who cares how they ended The Smiths? It's their choice. None of us really know what went on, despite what some might claim. It's personal and it's their business. We got to hear some fabulous music and we should be grateful for what we heard.

manchester83-04.jpg

I always liked his style:thumb:

and his record collection:

walker2.jpg

If it wasn't for Marr, sicknote steven would be still jerking off to pictures of James Dean and Joyce would be a pauper;)

What people?

I don't want to LIVE with my popstars, I want to be entertained by them. Someone being bad in interviews is a perfectly good reason to dislike them, what's the point in a boring popstar?
I don't want to hear about Johnny Marr's extensive guitar collection or what mixing desk he uses or what brand of hair gel he's got. He's over.

You sound as dull as you claim Johnny to be...yawn.

Without Johnny, there would've been no Smiths.

Me too.The "tired"part doesnt convince me.He wanted to leave-ok,but why all this nasty stuff with "The Smiths"name,if he was so "sweet"and "nice" he would let them keep the name- but he de facto destroyed the band.How people can call him"nice"and "sweet"...

Me too.The "tired"part doesnt convince me.He wanted to leave-ok,but why all this nasty stuff with "The Smiths"name,if he was so "sweet"and "nice" he would let them keep the name- but he de facto destroyed the band.How people can call him"nice"and "sweet"...

Marr Speaks, 1987

There is nothing even approaching 'acrimony' between myself and the other members of the band. I've known them all a long time and I love 'em.

The stuff we've just done for the new album is great, the best we've ever done. I'm really proud of it. But there are things that I want to do that can only happen outside of The Smiths.

One potential source of acrimony yet to emerge from the split is the use of the name "The Smiths". Marr was genuinely surprised when informed that Morrissey intended to continue using it, but contented himself, when pressed for a response, with "I think that's probably tied up in a whole load of legal things..."

I don't want to get too over-emotional about this but I really am massively proud of all the things that The Smiths have done and achieved and so from that point of view, of course, it's all really sad, especially for the group's fans who've always been brilliant. But on the other hand, I'm looking forward to doing new things, and to hearing what Morrissey will come up with. I think the change will actually do him a lot of good. I certainly hope so. But, in the final analysis, the thing that used to make me happy was making me miserable and so I just had to get out.​

Tags
mutethyself mw616=halfwit teenbraggadocio
Back
Top Bottom