'I Am Veronica' lyrics

I am Japanese and not a native English speaker.
But I can understand that some of this song could be taken as sexual innuendos.
Dolphin, Owl, slide into a pocket, harmonica, etc.

However, can we explain the beauty and brilliance of this song by interpreting it like a Freudian who associates everything with libido?

Morrissey sings that her game is older than America (which has a history of less than 250 years)," it is not the "oldest work".
And she is Veronica, not Mary Magdalene.

I think Veronica is a little creature with her own spots.
She fits in your pocket and brings you good luck.
She will make you succeed in your last chance.
And she can even play the harmonica for you...
Isn't it a wonderfully pretty song?

But I ask with all humility as a non-native speaker.
Is there something hidden in this song that compels us to take it sexually? :confused:

I am Japanese and not a native English speaker.
But I can understand that some of this song could be taken as sexual innuendos.
Dolphin, Owl, slide into a pocket, harmonica, etc.

However, can we explain the beauty and brilliance of this song by interpreting it like a Freudian who associates everything with libido?

Morrissey sings that her game is older than America (which has a history of less than 250 years)," it is not the "oldest work".
And she is Veronica, not Mary Magdalene.

I think Veronica is a little creature with her own spots.
She fits in your pocket and brings you good luck.
She will make you succeed in your last chance.
And she can even play the harmonica for you...
Isn't it a wonderfully pretty song?

But I ask with all humility as a non-native speaker.
Is there something hidden in this song that compels us to take it sexually? :confused:
For a non-native English speaker you have a solid command of the English language. Songs should mean what you personally want them to mean. For example, to me "Bengali in Platforms" is about being a Gaijin 外人 in Japan (as an example), not knowing the language, feeling a bit out-of-place, sticking out as a sore thumb with blond hair and a broken dialect. Life is hard enough just trying to make it as a native much less as a Gaijin, so maybe I should just shelve my plans to live in Japan as a Gaijin. To me the song is beautiful. However, to others the song has a racist connotations which I don't see in the song at all. Bottom line, you can be a manic and think Helter Skelter is about a coming race war or simply a ride from top to bottom like a rollercoaster. Ja mata ne

I'm really enjoying Veronica of all the recent songs. Musically it reminds me of the Southpaw/Maladjusted albums, and lyrically it's simple but evocative, and I think it touches on our music listening habits in the 21st century.

I think that the 'game' mentioned is the game of life; it's older than America and it's something that the character has to get through. We all want to make our mark and create change.

I can't help but see the 'top bell' as being the volume-up button on our mobile phones. The pocket-slide, I I think, is the phone being tucked into a pocket, and suddenly you're in your own world where the music can comfort you, keep your spirits up and be there for you.

It's a simple song but it creates a great imagine in my mind. If released as a single, I think it will be his best since Spent the Day In Bed.

I guess if Morrissey is going to pun 'keep your boat afloat', then the best variation would be "schools of fish will keep your bloat afloat". I'm having a hard time hearing it though - I'm not even sure he sings this line the same both times? :unsure:
I’m thinking it’s a derivation from “whatever floats your boat”. In this case- there will be plenty of attention to see that their “needs” are met. This could be a sexual reference, or even a drug related one in which the (bad) fish represent other users/abusers. (A “badfish” is a junkie looking for someone to share their habit with)

In a recent gig Mozz was doing some quite risqué hand gestures while singing this so definitely intentional double entendre of ring my doorbell to come to the top flat and ring my 'doorbell' when you get there. Until I read this thread I hadn't thought of the extra layer of entertainers being prostitutes of sorts - as with all Morrissey songs it's at least partly about himself. It's one of the best of his new ones - hope we'll get to hear a studio version some time soon.

Back
Top Bottom