'I Am Veronica' lyrics

yeah, yeah, we know :rolleyes:… but what does Morrissey mean by using it ?

If Morrissey’s profession is singing, and he is Veronica, then she may also be a singer.

i never get too hung up on lyrics,we will never know what M was thinking about when he wrote it so its all guess work.
knockabout world being about cliff richard.
congratulations--could be the woman next doors birthday.
your still okay--same woman got a hip replacement last week.

i never get too hung up on lyrics,we will never know what M was thinking about when he wrote it so its all guess work.
knockabout world being about cliff richard.
congratulations--could be the woman next doors birthday.
your still okay--same woman got a hip replacement last week.
I thought it was about cancel culture. Point proven.

It's clearly about prostitution, anyone who went/lived in cities like London back in the day when phone boxes were still a thing, each phone box would be littered with prostitutes' cards. And of course a reference to what we call 'the world's oldest profession' although Rifke may be right about midwifery, LOL

This wouldn't be the first time he has cast himself in the role of female prostitute., Maladjusted coming to kind. It's a catchy tune and I assume the studio version once cleaned up sounds amazing.

Prostitutes-calling-cards-phone-box.jpg

“I can also play harmonica” lol.
....class 🙏
Obv it could be a few things - ring the bell to be let it, its your last chance to make a mark , to be that spark, could be art or it could be to be with the one you love, - why wast time, take a chance, call on me (that kinda thing)

As someone else said, if the song is about a working woman, it could be about them saying come on up, shake the everyday away , let do something new
Those cards used to always say stuff like "ring basement bell, " etc

In this case he mentions sliding into her/his pocket, so the bell could be the the bellend or it could be the womans button,clit, (its sometimes called a bell, among other things)
Or is could be as in putting her information into your pocket
(excuse the vulgar wording, with some you need to be explicit )

It could just be a way to imprint an image, of someone going to a hotel (or wherever ) desk and ringing the bell to be heard, to be seen.
Or ringing someones door bell, to escape the everyday
Thats my take, though Im not entirely certain of all lyrics . Be nice to know whom Veronica is and what is the game she plays thats older than America ? is sex trade ,is it sex itself, is it love ?
It could be all these things, I expect its a return to maladjusted and hooker life
Where IS the bell. That's the bloody nightmare !!!!!

hazard x

Have I made any mistakes? (At first I thought Moz had accidentally garbled 'keep your boat afloat', but he appears to sing 'float abloat' twice, so I suspect it's a deliberate mangling?) As far as I can make out:

I, I, I, I, I am Veronica
The game I play is older than America

There's a tiny spot allocated each of us
So why should each day be exactly the same?
This is your last chance
This is your last chance
So slide me into your pocket now

And press your finger hard
On the top bell, top bell
Press your finger hard
On the top bell, top bell

Dolphins swim to rescue you
Schools of fish will keep your float abloat
Owls bow their learned brow

The tiny spot allocated each of us
So make your mark
And now you be the spark
This could be your last chance
This could be your very last go

And press your finger hard
On the top bell, the top bell
Press your finger hard
On the top bell

Dolphins swim to rescue you
Schools of fish will keep your float abloat
Owls bow their learned brow

I can also play harmonica

Thank You 🙏

The song is extremely catchy — it’s certainly imbedded itself in my brain and won’t let loose. I feel like it’s surprisingly uplifting? My first thought regarding the subject matter was Veronica Lake, before actually hearing it. Agree about the prostitution theme… perhaps some thinly veiled reference to LA Confidential? 😂

Regardless, I’m so thankful it’s out in the ether! Finally. 💕
Mmmmh. Interesting......

There is also a non-Morrissey song about Veronica Lake too..

hazard x

I , i i mm veronicaaaa.! I liked it during las Vegas concerts it's catchy. And the Miley sirus back up voice makes it even more catchy. Hopefully I can get the song , new songs out pretty soon M. realest it through online stream. Albums are pasee!

This vid at 4.13 has Rowan referring to a taxi driver ‘on the top bell’, presumably meaning next on the switchboard. Not a phrase I’d heard.

Thank you all for your contribution in this thread. I’ve enjoyed breaking down this songs meaning with all of you.

Music lyrics are truly unique in its art form of being a semblance of sounds that are just the same to all of our ears, yet ultimately envelops an entirely personal space in one’s heart, mind and soul.

I’ve always been one to interpret Morrissey’s lyrical “meaning” as far more simple than many of us suspect. Yes, Mozz has a history of being prone to a cheeky play on words, double entendres, smart similes, metaphors, clever puns - heck, even a few dad rhymes & puns.

Yet, sometimes I feel the answer is to found without the need to squint too deep within the lines.

One example: the protagonist in Morrissey’s single from the album, Your Arsenal, National Front Disco, is young Davey. From the moment I first heard NFD I envisioned Davey as David Copperfield - a Dicken’s character and literary reference, waxing wonder and nostalgia for the homeland of the past and his attempts to make sense of it all around him now. Ultimately, the winds of fear blows Davey to joining the ranks of the National Front…don’t wanna digress into a NFD discussion, so back to Veronica.

I hear a very simple story in …Veronica. It’s the story of as old as America, where destiny is written in to age old - and quite thankfully, fading - gender stereotypes that a young girls American Dream is to seek, seduce, settle and spawn into a comfortable, safe middle-upper class life.

Thank you all for your contribution in this thread. I’ve enjoyed breaking down this songs meaning with all of you.

Music lyrics are truly unique in its art form of being a semblance of sounds that are just the same to all of our ears, yet ultimately envelops an entirely personal space in one’s heart, mind and soul.

I’ve always been one to interpret Morrissey’s lyrical “meaning” as far more simple than many of us suspect. Yes, Mozz has a history of being prone to a cheeky play on words, double entendres, smart similes, metaphors, clever puns - heck, even a few dad rhymes & puns.

Yet, sometimes I feel the answer is to found without the need to squint too deep within the lines.

One example: the protagonist in Morrissey’s single from the album, Your Arsenal, National Front Disco, is young Davey. From the moment I first heard NFD I envisioned Davey as David Copperfield - a Dicken’s character and literary reference, waxing wonder and nostalgia for the homeland of the past and his attempts to make sense of it all around him now. Ultimately, the winds of fear blows Davey to joining the ranks of the National Front…don’t wanna digress into a NFD discussion, so back to Veronica.

I hear a very simple story in …Veronica. It’s the story of as old as America, where destiny is written in to age old - and quite thankfully, fading - gender stereotypes that a young girls American Dream is to seek, seduce, settle and spawn into a comfortable, safe middle-upper class life.
Okay, that's clever, nobody can disagree with you about the David character now...
(There was another David who said "As I see it I am the only alternative for the premier in England. I believe Britain could benefit from a fascist leader. After all, fascism is really nationalism.")
What do you think about Veronica's nature imagery?

Oh Veronica, won’t you play me your harmonica ? ( I finally know who Veronica is !!! ) :rat:

I've just seen a vid of the latest Veronica rendition at Killarney - there was actually harmonica playing instead of Moz's yodelling at the end. The vid was in portrait mode - couldn't see if it was on playback or if someone (Gustavo?) was playing it live.

What do you think about Veronica's nature imagery?
Who, me?
Well I think garbage patches are doing the job of fishes these days.
Also I don't think there are that many owls left. What with light pollution. Are there?

Back
Top Bottom