'I Am Veronica' lyrics

A

Anonymous

Have I made any mistakes? (At first I thought Moz had accidentally garbled 'keep your boat afloat', but he appears to sing 'float abloat' twice, so I suspect it's a deliberate mangling?) As far as I can make out:

I, I, I, I, I am Veronica
The game I play is older than America

There's a tiny spot allocated each of us
So why should each day be exactly the same?
This is your last chance
This is your last chance
So slide me into your pocket now

And press your finger hard
On the top bell, top bell
Press your finger hard
On the top bell, top bell

Dolphins swim to rescue you
Schools of fish will keep your float abloat
Owls bow their learned brow

The tiny spot allocated each of us
So make your mark
And now you be the spark
This could be your last chance
This could be your very last go

And press your finger hard
On the top bell, the top bell
Press your finger hard
On the top bell

Dolphins swim to rescue you
Schools of fish will keep your float abloat
Owls bow their learned brow

I can also play harmonica

“I can also play harmonica” lol.

The playful animal lyrics are noticeable and seem to extend the sentiments seen in ‘I Wish You Lonely’. Morrissey is dipping his too into some animal magnetism or daffy spiritualism - it’s certainly something different.

Right now, the reference to the top bell seems like the action of ringing a door bell on a block of flats, to meet a lover or friend perhaps?

It’s a fun single, and it has a surprising amount of zest for this artist in a ‘late’ career stretch.

It's the kind of thing that used to be written on prostitutes' cards left in phone booths, which fits with the line about being on the game etc.

seems like a decent tune, unfortunately i dont think his vocal in this is very good. I would like to hear the studio recording of it.

It's the kind of thing that used to be written on prostitutes' cards left in phone booths, which fits with the line about being on the game etc.
Good spot. Aside from the obvious double entendre, I wonder if that's also the meaning of "slide me into your pocket now", ie someone pocketing one of those phonebooth cards?

The general theme does seem to be this Veronica prostitute character encouraging someone to break out of their routine and come and visit them. I'm just not quite sure how the lines about dolphins, fish and owls fit in, though this section is charmingly bonkers! :)

What is top bell..?
Obv it could be a few things - ring the bell to be let it, its your last chance to make a mark , to be that spark, could be art or it could be to be with the one you love, - why wast time, take a chance, call on me (that kinda thing)

As someone else said, if the song is about a working woman, it could be about them saying come on up, shake the everyday away , let do something new
Those cards used to always say stuff like "ring basement bell, " etc

In this case he mentions sliding into her/his pocket, so the bell could be the the bellend or it could be the womans button,clit, (its sometimes called a bell, among other things)
Or is could be as in putting her information into your pocket
(excuse the vulgar wording, with some you need to be explicit )

It could just be a way to imprint an image, of someone going to a hotel (or wherever ) desk and ringing the bell to be heard, to be seen.
Or ringing someones door bell, to escape the everyday
Thats my take, though Im not entirely certain of all lyrics . Be nice to know whom Veronica is and what is the game she plays thats older than America ? is sex trade ,is it sex itself, is it love ?
It could be all these things, I expect its a return to maladjusted and hooker life

Last edited:
Could be about a hard-nosed male sex worker called Veronica who has awkwardly included peaceful nature imagery into his sex ad to appeal to a female clientele.
"Press the top bell hard" means something like "don't play shy, and make yourself be noticed."

My ear hears it as Morrissey comparing himself as a singer to a prostitute and he wants the audience to slide him into their music playlist or pocket. It's uplifting and has a bit of the same sentiment as, "The more you ignore me, the closer I get." 🎶🎙️

what is the game she plays thats older than America ? is sex trade ,is it sex itself, is it love ?
Traditionally, it would be prostitution - aka being 'on the game', also known as the oldest profession in the world (which would certainly predate America).

What is top bell..?
A prostitute would generally be in the flat at the top of the building (ie the cheapest one). So the character in the song is asking her clientele to ring the bell at the top of them all at the entrance door.

I guess if Morrissey is going to pun 'keep your boat afloat', then the best variation would be "schools of fish will keep your bloat afloat". I'm having a hard time hearing it though - I'm not even sure he sings this line the same both times? :unsure:

I'll try a more innocent approach as the song is only one day old.

Let's say that "pocket" is not a vagina or other opening (aka shaven cave) and "top bell" not a clit or whatever tiny spot that the person who lets the singer slide into their pocket has to press her-/himself, ...

... then pocket could also be a "pocket of time" or personal organizer, so topically this song would be somehow in line with "By the Time I get to whereever I am goin" where they meet on a mysterious "lawn".

The place in Veronica is a tiny spot, located at the coast, probably a hotel, where the singer resides in the top room.

Back
Top Bottom