"I Am Not A Dog On A Chain" released (March 20, 2020)

full

I Am Not A Dog On A Chain - tagged articles
I Am Not A Dog On A Chain - tagged reviews
Please note: for fans of reviews, the above tag will update as new reviews come in and is a good way to check any you may have missed.

Morrissey's 13th solo studio album being recorded was first mentioned in SER's interview with Morrissey June 24, 2019 and then formally announced November 28, 2019.
It was recorded at Studio La Fabrique in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, France and additional work (like Thelma's vocals) was done at Sunset Sound in Hollywood, California. It was produced by Joe Chicarelli who stated about his 4th Morrissey album:

“This is his boldest and most adventurous album yet. He has pushed the boundaries yet again - both musically and lyrically.
And once again proving that as a songwriter and singer, he is in his own category.
In truth, no one can be Morrissey but… Morrissey!”

The official Morrissey mailing list email from March 20 cites the following reviews in its promotion:

"PRAISE FOR ‘I AM NOT A DOG ON A CHAIN’

“Morrissey delivers his best music in years” - AP*
"His best album in years." - NME
"As great as anything he has ever written." - THE TELEGRAPH
“A mature work, the album stands apart in his catalog, displaying a hard-fought air of confidence that defies his roots in misery.” - RIFF MAGAZINE
"Hungry, tenacious & valid" - XS Noise
“Arguably his strongest collection in years.” - Louder Than War Magazine
"Ideal quarantine record.” - The Post Millennial
“An 11 track outing which quite frankly is one of his best albums to date... it sees him in fine form, with witty and acerbic lyrics, and a rich baritone voice that appears to be actually getting stronger the older he gets." -
Wall Of Sound"

(*AP = Associated Press)

Album promotional poster (Leeds):

3c80900419accc97158bc74145066b79[1].jpg

( :camera: clever.swine / IG)

The main 3 formats available today:
(Clear vinyl, 'Test Presses" & cassettes haven't been sighted yet).

f55969f63b43918bf06e1c095d9a8b78[1].jpg

( :camera: Denisc1 / IG)

There is no matrix message on either version of the above vinyl.

The front cover art is credited, again, to Liam Lynch (using an image by Christopher Stewart of Morrissey at Manchester G-MEX, December 22, 2006).
The rear cover is by John Fekner and is described on his site as:

"In the summer of 1980, John Fekner stencils Broken Promises, Falsas Promesas, Decay, Broken Treaties, Last Hope and Save Our School on the walls and buildings of Charlotte Street in the South Bronx. The message of the Charlotte Street Stencils focuses on pointing out the deteriorating conditions and issues that plagued the community since the 1960s. Fekner’s main purpose is to bring attention to inadequate housing, poor services and deplorable social problems that afflicted the neighborhood residents for decades."

unnamed.jpg

For a gallery of this project and further details - please see: here.

For the liner notes and lyrics - see: here.

The initial assertion that the red vinyl was 'indie' record shops only changed later to include HMV - who are selling all 3 formats above.

More reviews are expected and please see the tag link to follow them as they come in.

Regards,
FWD.

It's more than 2/3rds, and while "The Secret of Music" does not hold to that description, it's certainly no better. It would be accurate, I think, to say that the predominant sound of this record is "electro-dance."

He could very well have twerking dancers in a video at this point. But unlike when Nick Cave did it, it would not be ironic.

Nick Cave is Illuminati fake.
Talk to Mick Harvey about that.

A joyful triumph says I. Fun, adventurous and...very witty! I was listening on the headphones and a good few lines made me chuckle out loud, to the surprise of the other 1/2.

A joyful triumph says I. Fun, adventurous and...very witty! I was listening on the headphones and a good few lines made me chuckle out loud, to the surprise of the other 1/2.
Witty? Which lines please? I ask because I thought the lyrics on the album were particularly devoid of wit, and indeed insight, revelation, or any of the other things that one might reasonably expect from a good lyric.

Witty? Which lines please? I ask because I thought the lyrics on the album were particularly devoid of wit, and indeed insight, revelation, or any of the other things that one might reasonably expect from a good lyric.

Yeah everyone knows you don't like the album, yet you're on here heavy today. Maybe take the wax out of your ears and remove the stick from your arse

Have to agree with the element of humour- something which has been somewhat lacking in recent releases (imo)
Funny lines and funny delivery too.
Only listened once and thought there were some standout tracks and some Morrissey-by-numbers songs too but all in all surprisingly good (perhaps he is at his most creative when he perceives the world detests him - not an uncommon trait in artists)
It also pisses all over the abomination that was the career nadir of Low In High School.
If this does prove to be his final album at least he's gone out on a relative high. Musically speaking.

Yeah everyone knows you don't like the album, yet you're on here heavy today. Maybe take the wax out of your ears and remove the stick from your arse
'On here heavy today?' This is my sixth comment today (including a couple of newspaper links) so stop talking utter crap, if you can. And where did I say that I don't like the album you lying sack of shit?

Just listened to the new album for the first time, some great tracks ,dog on a chain, darling I hug a pillow... it certainly is different musically, I like the style it’s played in... as usual with a moz album the first 6-7 song are great, then the last 3-4 are below par... the secret of music is dull, but has the best ending to song.... it goes on far to long....will have to listen again

Had two listens thus far and undoubtably more and more in these trying times to come, so my opinion is likely to develop.
However as of now,

Jim Jim Falls - 7, great opener, think people who take the suicide angle literally are taking it a little too seriously.

Love Is On It’s Way Out - 6, growing on me, but still not a great song.

Bobby... - 7, enjoying this one still , lyrics are a bit one note, but a great duet, stomping music.

IANADOAC - 7, love love love the music, very Kill Uncle, the lyrics are a little angsty, twitter smart arse “do I offend you” though

WKOPLITH? - 8, brilliant, again early solo sound to the music, wish the words were a little deeper rather than just rhymes “sad sad, crash pad” etc reminds me of the story of young Moz and Linder walking round Manchester past people’s windows.

Knockabout World - 5, good finale saves it from being anything over than poor.
-
Darling I Hug A Pillow - 5, not bad, but nothing much jumping out at me yet.

Once I Saw The River Clean - 8, brilliant, saw him do it at Leeds which I loved. Cherishing this moment of reflection.

The Truth About Ruth - 5, topic is interesting but it just plots along a little too much for me.

The Secret About Music - 7, the lyrics a little sigh inducing, but the instrumentation is great.

My Hurling Days Are Done - 7, good closer think more listens could make it a highlight.

overall a good album, again more listens required but I'm very happy with it so far.

Was just thinking a few days ago about how LIHS has aged well in the two and a half years since its release. Home, Lonely, and All the Young People... are really strong tracks that I find myself going back to all the time. A number of really strong album tracks that I always enjoy hearing when they come on, as well. I don't think the same will be said for this record.

I was really disappointed by all all of the singles prior to this release. The increased keyboard sound does nothing for me. Bobby and Knockabout, to me, are low points in his catalogue. Maybe I'll come around, but those songs do absolutely nothing for me.

I Am Not a Dog on a Chain and What Kind of People are excellent tracks. I wish the whole record sounded like those. Lyrically, I Am Not... is the strongpoint for the album. I hope he opens up shows with it, barring we ever get live music again. Great amount of muscle and grit. What Kind of People, musically, is the direction I wish he'd run after. Sounds like a lost gem of the 'Sunny' era.

I don't think this record is an abomination by any means but it will rank at the bottom of my list of Moz records, wrestling with Southpaw over the coveted place of my 12th favorite Morrissey album.

All that said, I have a great amount of interest in hearing some of these songs live and will obviously go see him next time he stops in my neck of the woods.

The problem with you lot reviewing a Morrissey record on a Morrissey website is that it’s gonna be way too subjective. Many review the man, not the music. I’ve listened to it and anyone on here who gives it 10 out of 10 is clearly swayed by their obsession to the rotund crooner. And, quite frankly, a bit of a plank. It’s an average record. Nothing more, nothing less.

'On here heavy today?' This is my sixth comment today (including a couple of newspaper links) so stop talking utter crap, if you can. And where did I say that I don't like the album you lying sack of shit?

That was 6 comments too many. Go troll your mirror. This album is awesome and you've been nothing but negative about it

Last edited:
The problem with you lot reviewing a Morrissey record on a Morrissey website is that it’s gonna be way too subjective. Many review the man, not the music. I’ve listened to it and anyone on here who gives it 10 out of 10 is clearly swayed by their obsession to the rotund crooner. And, quite frankly, a bit of a plank. It’s an average record. Nothing more, nothing less.

I think some posters are realistic and give an honest view, it's morons like the child who goes by the name of God Emperor Morrissey who are the problem. They simply cannot accept that some people may have a different opinion and then become abusive toward them for some reason.

20200320_143639.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

Two listens in and I love it but what do I know? I liked half of LIHS, certainly not the career bottom feeder that is the general consensus here. Nice to see good reviews for Moz. Common sense might be making a comeback? It's never too late.

I think some posters are realistic and give an honest view, it's morons like the child who goes by the name of God Emperor Morrissey who are the problem. They simply cannot accept that some people may have a different opinion and then become abusive toward them for some reason.
Fair enough mate. I quite like some of Bruce Springsteen’s early stuff - up until 1982’s Nebraska, not all that Born in the USA bollocks. Anyway, I was on the Greasy Lake BS forum, and had the audacity to criticise some of his later stuff. Christ, they were on me like a pack of wolves. Strange people, disciples almost. Morrissey is ace. BUT he’s done some shit. As has everyone. Clearly, he’s not the force he once was. Neither should he be. He’s an old man. These days I’d much rather listen to a Morrissey interview than a Morrissey album. The former is invariably more entertaining.

That was 6 comments too many. Go troll your mirror. This album is awesome and you've been nothing but negative about it
Once again you prove your well-deserved title of Biggest Lying Sack of Shit on Morrissey-solo.com. My original comment on hearing the album for the first time was "musically quite beguiling, lyrically less so. " I then listed several standout tracks. So bore off, LSOS.

1. The Secret of Music - 10
2. I Am Not A Dog - 10
3. My Hurling Days - 10
4. What Kind Of People - 10
5. Once I Saw - 10
6. Darling, I Hug - 9
7. Jim Jim - 9
8. Bobby - 9
9. Love Is - 8
10. Knockabout - 8
11. Ruth - 6

Tobias is brilliant on this album.