I am Not a Dog on a Chain one year later

How can you not like "The Truth About Ruth?" I think "My Hurling Days Are Done" is a little challenging but I'm listening to it now and I like it. "The Secret Of Music" doesn't seem too popular but I really like it. I haven't liked every song on a Morrissey record since Years Of Refusal, so this an exciting comeback to me.

How can you not like "The Truth About Ruth?" I think "My Hurling Days Are Done" is a little challenging but I'm listening to it now and I like it. "The Secret Of Music" doesn't seem too popular but I really like it. I haven't liked every song on a Morrissey record since Years Of Refusal, so this an exciting comeback to me.
"The Secret of Music" is actually the only track I like on the whole record. I just don't think Morrissey should go for bombast anymore, the slow-burners suit his age and his voice.

"The Secret of Music" is actually the only track I like on the whole record. I just don't think Morrissey should go for bombast anymore, the slow-burners suit his age and his voice.

Are you saying you want ol’ blue eyes to settle down and act his age?

NEVER! :rock::lbf:

Actually, back when hearing ballads like Change my Plea and There is a place, I thought, well I can see him
mellowing and moving in this direction more, but then came Arsenal, and over the years he seems to have adamantly pushed his love of punk even more, refusing to grow up, refusing to mellow. Strange, but then again, this is Morrissey.

Anyway, I love TSOMusic, and the album as a whole. And even though I think Joe Chiccarelli finally found his footing with Morrissey on IANADOAC it still to me feels a bit constrained, reined in as if even the inspiration on the record was also following a click track, is the best way I can describe it.

Last edited:

Actually, back when hearing ballads like Change my Plea and There is a place, I thought, well I can see him
mellowing and moving in this direction more, but then came Arsenal, and over the years he seems to have adamantly pushed his love of punk even more, refusing to grow up, refusing to mellow. Strange, but then again, this is Morrissey.
The spirit doesn't bother me, just the music.

Never giving in 🐋

Anyway, I love TSOMusic, and the album as a whole. And even though I think Joe Chiccarelli finally found his footing with Morrissey on IANADOAC it still to me feels a bit constrained, reined in as if even the inspiration on the record was also following a click track, is the best way I can describe it.

I don't like the filters he's put on some of the vocals, most notably on Knockabout World.

It’s absolute dogshit. Listened to it once all the way through and not been near it since.

I consider " Christian Dior" to be a recent song so he will probably continue to do that type of music but I don't think he wants to turn into Andy Williams. I suspect few of you will know who that is but my grandmother listened to his records. I thought the "retro electronic" sound of "Dog" was a great area for him to explore and something that's pretty new to him. Something that I was under the impression he didn't really like.
I think that one issue is that most of the music he does seem to like is older and was recorded in a way that is a lot more difficult now. Those records were recorded on tape and those studios are mostly gone. So there is an issue with the sounds of his records sometimes being described as artificial but that works on a record like Dog.
In a perfect world he would have access to the old analog recording technology and the money to spend to make records that way. But he isn't selling as many records as Dave Grohl. Grohl bought classic recording equipment that was used on hundreds of million selling records and it's in his house where he has all the time he needs to record with it.
Besides the cost, don't you kind of get the feeling that Morrissey probably sings through a few times and moves on to the next one?
So the more punk influenced stuff and the electronic stuff are probably better bets. He did use real orchestral parts on Ringleader but I feel like that was expected to sell more than it did coming after the success of Quarry. I would imagine that record was his most expensive, maybe ever?
And all of this is just my impression without much research so I could be wrong but recording like The Smiths did with many takes and many overdubs done in analog is probably impossible now because of the cost.

More importantly, his warmth and empathy made somewhat of a comeback. That’s the biggest takeaway for me (there are exceptions to this, however - Jim being one of the most blatant/painful).

I agree about his warmth/empathy returning, but I disagree about 'Jim Jim Falls'. It's one of his most life-affirming songs.

I agree about his warmth/empathy returning, but I disagree about 'Jim Jim Falls'. It's one of his most life-affirming songs.

Yeah, I agree. I think it gets misinterpreted a lot. It's not fair to call it cruel when he's most probably singing about himself here, but we'll get into that in more detail when it comes up in the daily A-Z.

I consider " Christian Dior" to be a recent song so he will probably continue to do that type of music but I don't think he wants to turn into Andy Williams. I suspect few of you will know who that is but my grandmother listened to his records. I thought the "retro electronic" sound of "Dog" was a great area for him to explore and something that's pretty new to him. Something that I was under the impression he didn't really like.
I think that one issue is that most of the music he does seem to like is older and was recorded in a way that is a lot more difficult now. Those records were recorded on tape and those studios are mostly gone. So there is an issue with the sounds of his records sometimes being described as artificial but that works on a record like Dog.
In a perfect world he would have access to the old analog recording technology and the money to spend to make records that way. But he isn't selling as many records as Dave Grohl. Grohl bought classic recording equipment that was used on hundreds of million selling records and it's in his house where he has all the time he needs to record with it.
Besides the cost, don't you kind of get the feeling that Morrissey probably sings through a few times and moves on to the next one?
So the more punk influenced stuff and the electronic stuff are probably better bets. He did use real orchestral parts on Ringleader but I feel like that was expected to sell more than it did coming after the success of Quarry. I would imagine that record was his most expensive, maybe ever?
And all of this is just my impression without much research so I could be wrong but recording like The Smiths did with many takes and many overdubs done in analog is probably impossible now because of the cost.

I think love is on its way out represents most of what he doesn’t like about modern pop music while the rest of the album is him diving into it. I think he likes and listens to lots of music people wouldn’t expect

Morrissey's 13th studio album, I am Not a Dog on a Chain is now a year old. It was widely considered to be his greatest album since at least Ringleader of the Tormentors by the forum. Now that we've had a year to live with it, what does everybody think? Personally, I still consider it to be a superb release, and in his top 5 albums.
Well. The release coincided with Mr Shandy's near fatal collision with the corona virus, so the album will always be filtered through our tubes with that memory in mind. I do recall, mid-April, a glorious Sunday spring afternoon on the terrace of our Angel Meadows apartment, Mr Shandy sipping herbal tea and wondering if he would ever live to not attend another cancelled concert. We looked down on the silent Victoria Station, the empty dustiness of a locked-down, bolted-up and fearful Manchester city centre. What on earth was happening? As we sat, IANADOAC played softly from within, and Mr Shandy murmured appreciatively in his delirium. I heard him whisper, at certain points in the album, '. . . . the years slip away'. I think we all know what he meant.

Speaking about oneself in the third-person sure does do wonders for one's esteem, said MrShoes...

haha I kid, I kid.

I absolutely love the album, Once I Saw, Jim Jim Falls, My Hurling Days and Darling are all great and it was good to listen to Morrissey sing about people again as opposed to country's and judges. The subject matter in a lot of the songs are really accessible and the music is great and very refreshing

“Andy Williams. I suspect few of you will know who that is”.

Has this site sunk that far?

Speaking about oneself in the third-person sure does do wonders for one's esteem, said MrShoes...

haha I kid, I kid.
Goodness - is this sluttery directed us? How rude! For the record, ONCE AGAIN: I am Mr Bonaparte Shandy. My long-time 'other' is Mr Sullivan Shandy. We're quite the fluid flipperty-gibbets around town: often I'm a he, frequently he's a she and sometimes both of us are in such a tizz we haven't got a clue what we are! It works for us . . .

Goodness - is this sluttery directed us? How rude! For the record, ONCE AGAIN: I am Mr Bonaparte Shandy. My long-time 'other' is Mr Sullivan Shandy. We're quite the fluid flipperty-gibbets around town: often I'm a he, frequently he's a she and sometimes both of us are in such a tizz we haven't got a clue what we are! It works for us . . .

:rolleyes:

o_O

whatever you say, Melvin:crazy:

Back
Top Bottom