I am Not a Dog on a Chain one year later

A

Anonymous

Morrissey's 13th studio album, I am Not a Dog on a Chain is now a year old. It was widely considered to be his greatest album since at least Ringleader of the Tormentors by the forum. Now that we've had a year to live with it, what does everybody think? Personally, I still consider it to be a superb release, and in his top 5 albums.

Morrissey's 13th studio album, I am Not a Dog on a Chain is now a year old. It was widely considered to be his greatest album since at least Ringleader of the Tormentors by the forum. Now that we've had a year to live with it, what does everybody think? Personally, I still consider it to be a superb release, and in his top 5 albums.
I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it last night, and think it's my favorite Morrissey album.

Indeed a really good album. A couple of weaker tracks near the end. But definitely his most consistent album since Ringleader.

Best since Years of Refusal, and a huge step up after the last couple of albums of drek.

An amazing album - my favourite from last year for sure. Love it all the way through (save for “The Truth About Ruth”). Some of his best songs ever are located here. While I’ve championed his previous works (2014-2019), I think this is his best since the almost equally superb Years of Refusal.
Fav tracks: All of them except...
Least fav track: “The Truth About Ruth”
9.5/10

Very good album but i my opinion a little bit overrated . Two songs from this album are in my Morrissey's top ten ...ever ( Jim Jim and Hurling days which is his best song since Pigsty ) , but the album also includes the song I least like (Bobby) . Among the secondary things, one should add an average cover art and a terrible CD packaging . But it is still 7/10 after one year listening .

I love “Once I Saw the River Clean.” It’s one of his best songs in ages. And I enjoy “Knockabout World” and “Bobby...” very much. However, the rest of the album is just “meh” to me.

It normally takes a few years before I really appreciate a album but I liked this album from the first play.I found some of the techno noises hard going but that's just me.What kind of people to me is pure gold.

It's one of his most accessible albums ever (bar The Secret Of Music), maybe second only to You Are The Quarry. Accessibility in itself is neither good nor bad but I didn't expect it to sound like this, so I was a bit shocked. After the ... intense... couple of years he'd had I was counting on another rough, edgy album but it turned out very much the opposite.

That being said, I still enjoy it and my feelings towards most of the songs haven't changed over the last year. What Kind Of People Live In These Houses?, Once I Saw The River Clean and the title track are still my favourites. I didn't like Darling I Hug A Pillow at first but it did click with me after a while.

I'm in the camp of people who really like World Peace and at least some parts of Low In High School but I'd say it's definitely his most consistent album since Years Of Refusal (still my favourite 21st century record of his) and I like it much better than Ringleader.
Mando and Jesse especially did fine songwriting jobs here and new musical elements like the heavy synths and pedal steel guitar are exciting and refreshing.

Best since Ringleader? How to damn with faint praise!
It's got at least 5 genuinely great songs and another 2 or 3 really good ones - that hadn't happened since Vauxhall.
Biggest surprise was Jesse's transformation into one of Morrissey's best composers.
Would have sold shedloads had UK radio not decided they effectively had to boycott it, resulting in his biggest ever commercial flop - it's frightening the power they have.

Last edited:
still enjoying it and not bored of any songs,last time this happened was with
world peace.like everyone else, the truth about ruth,nah,darling,bobby,jim and knockabout,yip.

like everyone else, the truth about ruth,nah,darling,bobby,jim and knockabout,yip.
Speak for yourself, please. I like The Truth About Ruth a lot.

I also like The truth About Ruth, but stylishly, I think it would fit better on LIHS than on IANADOAC.

I played the album yesterday to honor of its first anniversary. I feel that he has finally found a new musical direction here that fit his current voice well, after tinkering with different musical sounds on previous albums with more mixed results. It was a surprisingly strong bounce back to form after a rather inconsistent album. The last time that happened was with Your Arsenal, one year after an equally inconsistent Kill Uncle.

I'll be honest with ya, I never stopped listenin' to this thing, since it came out.
Moz is always gonna make good music, cause he's loves music himself and
he always does what he wants.

I still really love it. It’s a well balanced album that manages to feel cohesive but still gives a bit of everything. the lyrics hit classic some classic morrissey moments but also went to some Jewish places. The energy of the title track, the hilarity of what kind of people the touching moments on once I saw the river clean to the ball of fear that hurling days leaves with me it all still feels like a new album to me a year later. I agree it’s very accessible. It also felt very personal. Like he put his all into it

Back
Top Bottom