I Am Not A Dog On A Chain: 2 years on

I was (and still am) underwhelmed, however there is part of I am not a Dog on a chain (the song) that is genius. I replay the same bit over and over!

Or maybe I'll be skinned alive
By canada goose
Because of my views
Because of the truth
Because of my fleece
Because of my niece
Like drinking ink
The words explode
Fattening fists
Louder than blows
Fattening fists
Louder than blows
The dead are dead
Ice cold and hard to
Where they can't be overcharged
They have no breath
They have no eyes
At least they won't be going twice
Isn't it "fatter than fists, louder than blows" and "dying twice"?

So, it’s now been 2 years since Morrissey’s last record was released.
Has anyone’s thoughts and feelings changed about the album? Any tracks that are now better/worse in your eyes compared to your first listen?
For me, I still see this as one of his best records, and that opinion has barely shifted since the initial release date. All of the songs I like, and some are up there are part of the top echelons of my favourite Morrissey tracks.
What are your thoughts?
I got it back out after the Boston show and love it now . I didn’t get into it when it came out but now I’m into it big time . I think it’s his best since YATQ.

I think it’s always been the case
that he believes that his art and his
(troublemaking) views are promo enough.

And I think he believes that
the label should recognize what they have with an artist like him, and use that to their advantage. If they had the brains and balls to, they would.
Were the artist being the artist to be enough, what would be the need for marketing? If Moz is commercially naiive enough to think that, no wonder the Joyce judgement surprised him.

I think that the label understands exactly what they have with him, a low selling liability who is toxic 'box office poison'

No mainstream label in their right minds would throw money and resource behind a project like that (unless they were trying to write off a tax bill) when he's putting out tracks with genius writing like 'Congratulaaaaaaations, you're still alive' on top of a mid tempo casio keyboard preset.

Back
Top Bottom