I Am Not A Dog On A Chain: 2 years on

I find it strange that you say that, though, when we have had more than that from him - for years. He was the Interview King during The Smiths and early solo years, he was everywhere in the music press, he did late-night radio, even TV shows like Pop Jury and Pop Quiz. He was hungry for it then, he wanted success and those interviews were part of the art - to lose them completely and let the label do it all is to lose part of Morrissey, as far as I'm concerned. For him not to care about it - or even just to be content with the embarrassing stuff posted on Central - it still surprises me. Time has changed a lot.
And Jonathan Ross, Morrissey was so witty on that show in 04.

I find it strange that you say that, though, when we have had more than that from him - for years. He was the Interview King during The Smiths and early solo years, he was everywhere in the music press, he did late-night radio, even TV shows like Pop Jury and Pop Quiz.
Those were different times. There seemed to be more patience, even respect for oddities like Morrissey, in general. That seemed to change overtime.
He was hungry for it then, he wanted success and those interviews were part of the art -
sure.
to lose them completely and let the label do it all is to lose part of Morrissey, as far as I'm concerned.
I agree. But I never said that he should stop doing interviews. He’s chosen not to, he has his reasons.

The label is not doing it all, they can’t do what the artist does.

For him not to care about it - or even just to be content with the embarrassing stuff posted on Central - it still surprises me. Time has changed a lot.

the world has changed a lot.

It's a surprisingly good album with 4 or 5 brilliant songs - easily his best since the 90s.
Only two duff ones - The Secret of Music and the title track (and what a crap name for an album).
I'm hoping the indie masses will be exposed to some of the best songs one day, maybe as part of a Morrissey/Smiths best-of or some (probably awful) Mamma Mia type musical.
Bobby Don't You Think and Knockabout World are genius pop.
River Clean, Love Is... and Hurling Days aren't far behind.

This makes me sad that these days aren't coming back. No proper interviews, no record deal.
It feels like I've lost my best friend.
That was one of the best times to be a Morrissey fan and I hope this is what he will be remembered for.
Sometimes I think he would like to stage another comeback like this. And then I think perhaps in 2024 when he turnster 65.
But times have changed so much and he seems more out of place than ever before.

And Jonathan Ross, Morrissey was so witty on that show in 04.

That is the best report made to Moz I saw it again two days ago!! Moz very fast for answers and funny and Johnatan Ross very funny!!!

I love Ianadoac, there are no ugly themes !!!!! My days in hurling are over is the theme of his mother that I associate with her, I think the album is better than the last three of Moz, I think it is at the height of "quarry" the best of Moz are VAI, Arsenal, Ringleders, Malajusted Quarry and the most perverse theme is the great Jack the Ripper I love the lyrics and the music and the performance of Moz on stage! when MOZ sings Jack

That was one of the best times to be a Morrissey fan and I hope this is what he will be remembered for.
Sometimes I think he would like to stage another comeback like this. And then I think perhaps in 2024 when he turnster 65.
But times have changed so much and he seems more out of place than ever before.
Your last sentence is the highest compliment you can pay Morrissey.

He will forever be Maladjusted.

It's a surprisingly good album with 4 or 5 brilliant songs - easily his best since the 90s.
Only two duff ones - The Secret of Music and the title track (and what a crap name for an album).
I'm hoping the indie masses will be exposed to some of the best songs one day, maybe as part of a Morrissey/Smiths best-of or some (probably awful) Mamma Mia type musical.
Bobby Don't You Think and Knockabout World are genius pop.
River Clean, Love Is... and Hurling Days aren't far behind.
Jim Jim Falls is the blazing standout track for me. Weirdly it doesn't seem to be anyone else's.

Jim Jim Falls is the blazing standout track for me. Weirdly it doesn't seem to be anyone else's.
I think songs about suicide are difficult to enjoy. Here in Britain, for example, suicide is the most common cause of death in males aged under forty-five years , so many people are affected by this whether directly or indirectly.

Jim Jim Falls is an amazing song. I actually find it tremendously uplifting.

My only issue with the album is that YouTube music won’t play it when requested because of the adult nature of some of the lyrics. Bloody annoying when I’m in the car.

I think songs about suicide are difficult to enjoy. Here in Britain, for example, suicide is the most common cause of death in males aged under forty-five years , so many people are affected by this whether directly or indirectly.
Gotta crash now but I'll post a reply re what I think that song is really about, and it's not about suicide, not how I see it anyway.

Gotta crash now but I'll post a reply re what I think that song is really about, and it's not about suicide, not how I see it anyway.
Okay, see you later. Just want to say that the lyrics bring to my mind a young friend who did jump, trying to kill herself, and broke her back, which meant partial paralysis and the rest of her life dependent on a wheelchair and the kindness of others.

I was (and still am) underwhelmed, however there is part of I am not a Dog on a chain (the song) that is genius. I replay the same bit over and over!

Or maybe I'll be skinned alive
By canada goose
Because of my views
Because of the truth
Because of my fleece
Because of my niece
Like drinking ink
The words explode
Fattening fists
Louder than blows
Fattening fists
Louder than blows
The dead are dead
Ice cold and hard to
Where they can't be overcharged
They have no breath
They have no eyes
At least they won't be going twice

Okay, see you later. Just want to say that the lyrics bring to my mind a young friend who did jump, trying to kill herself, and broke her back, which meant partial paralysis and the rest of her life dependent on a wheelchair and the kindness of others.
I think in light of your friend and yours' experience I will hold off for now on what the song means to me. Anything I write as a reply is just going to seem trivial.

I'd say similar except that some of the ones you like are my least favorites. "Once I Saw the River Clean" must be the best song on the record but "What Kind of People" is musically great while lyrically it's not exceptional. But the real problem is that "Love is On Its Way Out" is one of my favorites. The little instrumental section and the ending "But before it goes" section are very strong to me.
Oh well.

I love that part too.

I can’t get into The Truth About Ruth. Do you like it given your username? Just seems dull and goes nowhere to my ears.

I think in light of your friend and yours' experience I will hold off for now on what the song means to me. Anything I write as a reply is just going to seem trivial.
I knew someone who jumped. Her hip bone went through her skull. Her parents had her life support turned off. I didn't have a close relationship with her, but I liked her. She's my ex boyfriend's sister.

Back
Top Bottom