I Am Not A Dog On A Chain: 2 years on

If he wants to be without a label indefinitely, yeah. There are plenty of artists doing that stuff and self-releasing albums but he wants the traditional deal and arrangement, and that involves playing his part with the promo.

I think it’s always been the case
that he believes that his art and his
(troublemaking) views are promo enough.

And I think he believes that
the label should recognize what they have with an artist like him, and use that to their advantage. If they had the brains and balls to, they would.

M does not need a media blitz like Marr does (which is just a lot of overkill, but a lot of people do not know who he is) and a lot of advertising is done on social media. There was no advance notice for the Vegas shows, just a few social media posts and tickets are selling. The bigger artists do not need as much promotion. People are flying to Vegas and booking hotels to see him, some are going all 5 nights.
M's FB page has 1.4 mil followers.
Except tickets are not really selling. I’m looking into going one of the dates and there are a shocking amount left. We’ll see after the main sale on Friday. Everyone needs promotion unless you are super hot right now. I’m going to hold out for $20 tickets as the date draws near. Are you going? I don’t even see a lot of posts here saying they got tickets!

He’s an artist. He writes and pours his heart out into song, does shows.

That’s all that should be required.
In an ideal world, yes. But this is definitely not one. Plus if Morrissey wants to go this route, then he should settle for smaller advances, lower sales and not blame the record company for not magically making his record a #1. If he wants money and success, he needs to put in as much work as the record company does. You can't have it both ways.

Except tickets are not really selling. I’m looking into going one of the dates and there are a shocking amount left. We’ll see after the main sale on Friday. Everyone needs promotion unless you are super hot right now. I’m going to hold out for $20 tickets as the date draws near. Are you going? I don’t even see a lot of posts here saying they got tickets!
This is not the only place I post, I have seen people talking about it in other places. Husband and I have talked about going, not entirely sure we will tho.
When I looked at the tickets during the presale earlier today, it looked like a decent amount had sold. Sometimes the better tickets get released closer to the show, we have gotten really good tickets for other shows like that before and then just selling the ones we already had.

This is not the only place I post, I have seen people talking about it in other places. Husband and I have talked about going, not entirely sure we will tho.
When I looked at the tickets during the presale earlier today, it looked like a decent amount had sold. Sometimes the better tickets get released closer to the show, we have gotten really good tickets for other shows like that before and then just selling the ones we already had.

You're one of the most vocal Morrissey fans on here - why wouldn't you go and support him? I'm seeing him at Cruel World myself which is good because there's a ton of other great bands too.

I think it’s always been the case
that he believes that his art and his
(troublemaking) views are promo enough.

And I think he believes that
the label should recognize what they have with an artist like him, and use that to their advantage. If they had the brains and balls to, they would.
His troublemaking views aren't going to make anyone buy his album though. And more importantly, that approach isn't going to reel in new fans - he'd be relying on his name alone to sell 'Bonfire' to existing diehards and completists who will buy anything he does. It's not a huge group these days, and a label will know that.

He used to enjoy promo - his interviews were works of art, they were so entertaining. He used to love photoshoots. He doesn't trust the media now and maybe he's just tired of the 'machinery' - I get not wanting to be interviewed by the Norwich News or whatever, but one or two high-profile media slots would be really good. He is a big enough name that he could be very picky about which media appearances to do, he could radio - he could make it work.

Mmmm .... interesting thoughts.
He’s not to fussed about standing in front of 20 thousand people singing his heart out.
He did put the leg work in for Quarry didn’t he.
It’s the only time I remember being
Every where for a while, and with Ringleader.
Or taking his shirt off to reveal a not so, um fit bod at the closing of Let Me Kiss You for the past decade and a bit.

You're one of the most vocal Morrissey fans on here - why wouldn't you go and support him? I'm seeing him at Cruel World myself which is good because there's a ton of other great bands too.
I am in New England so it's not just a drive away, it involves planes and all of that and I am really not sure we can get away during that holiday week. Maybe he will come to the east coast.

Or taking his shirt off to reveal a not so, um fit bod at the closing of Let Me Kiss You for the past decade and a bit.
It fits with his self deprecating humor.
Making fun of his body being out of shape.
“Someone you physically despise”

Anyone know where I can get a Dog on Chain T shirt? They didn't seem to get much of a run.

In an ideal world, yes. But this is definitely not one. Plus if Morrissey wants to go this route, then he should settle for smaller advances, lower sales and not blame the record company for not magically making his record a #1. If he wants money and success, he needs to put in as much work as the record company does. You can't have it both ways.

Yes of course. That’s blindingly obvious, and goes without saying. I’m simply commenting on how an artist like Morrissey may see it. And yes in an ideal world, how the label should recognize the artists attributes and be smart enough to sell it, whatever it is.

Though, being an artist and what it entails is the work and should be all that’s required. If a label wants to sell records by an artist that refuses to play live or do any media, then they need to find a way to sell that, if they can’t, then that’s no real fault of the artist. Not saying we should expect miracles of course. And yes of course the artist, Morrissey in this case, will eventually need to accept the choices they do make. But Morrissey will complain, no matter how perfect it is. Lol.

Last edited:
His troublemaking views aren't going to make anyone buy his album though. And more importantly, that approach isn't going to reel in new fans - he'd be relying on his name alone to sell 'Bonfire' to existing diehards and completists who will buy anything he does. It's not a huge group these days, and a label will know that.
I agree with some of that. But when I say ‘troublemaking views’ I mean the good, and what is perceived as ‘bad’. That, along with his work as an artist, his unique character, warts and all, could, in the right hands be
used to sell records, which is the label’s job to do. Morrissey has already done his part by being who he is.

He used to enjoy promo - his interviews were works of art, they were so entertaining. He used to love photoshoots. He doesn't trust the media now and maybe he's just tired of the 'machinery' - I get not wanting to be interviewed by the Norwich News or whatever, but one or two high-profile media slots would be really good. He is a big enough name that he could be very picky about which media appearances to do, he could radio - he could make it work.
I’m sure he would still enjoy doing interviews if the world hasn’t changed in the ways it has, particularly in media.

I agree with some of that. But when I say ‘troublemaking views’ I mean the good, and what is perceived as ‘bad’. That, along with his work as an artist, his unique character, warts and all, could, in the right hands be
used to sell records, which is the label’s job to do. Morrissey has already done his part by being who he is.
That's bad business, that just seems lazy. Why would a label bother with a legacy artist who doesn't want to do what's expected of them (yet still expects to be No.1), when there are thousands of newer, younger, unsigned acts that would do it eagerly? They wouldn't. Labels aren't going to love Morrissey's unique character in the way that we do, they will just think he is more work than he's worth. It's hard to blame them.

Yes, agree about media appearances etc these days. The problem is that pretty much any TV/radio interviewers will feel duty bound to ask him about some of his more controversial comments from recent years - which I don't think he'll submit himself to. (As much as I wish he would.)
But there are still things like Netflix specials which any creative management team should be looking into, especially since Netflix seem happy enough to host some pretty risky content and big enough not to care about any backlash.
Or (and I've suggested this before, somewhere) something like a Louis Theroux doc where Morrissey could play the role of funny, eccentric, but essentially harmless ageing rock star without having to do any kind of "formal" interview, just let Louis follow him around for a couple of days.

That's bad business, that just seems lazy.
Lazy on who’s part?
Why would a label bother with a legacy artist who doesn't want to do what's expected of them
Why should they expect an artist to be other than an artist? The artist has already done their part by being an artist.
(yet still expects to be No.1),
I agree he does, of course he does ! lol. But he knows it’s futile, he knows how the record companies work, but he’ll still complain. That’s who he is.
when there are thousands of newer, younger, unsigned acts that would do it eagerly?
Or ‘artists’ like Marr that will obey and do things other than the work (their music) that they’ve already done. And that’s fine, if that’s their choice, and they can stomach it.
They wouldn't. Labels aren't going to love Morrissey's unique character in the way that we do, they will just think he is more work than he's worth. It's hard to blame them.

Yes of course. And it’s unfortunate regarding an artist like Morrissey that they don’t see what they have or the intelligence to sell what they’ve signed. But besides that, I think they can be blamed for wrongly expecting an artist like Morrissey to be what he is not.

:)

right younger groups like 60 yr old :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: who is without any dignity or self respect, led like a dog on a
chain to 1000s of blogs and podcasts. there he is, still playing FING student unions, 100 seaters, at 60 yrs of age.
time to find a job LePepe:fist:
student unions! what shanda!doh:

:hammer:

Lazy on who’s part?

Why should they expect an artist to be other than an artist? The artist has already done their part by being an artist.

I agree he does, of course he does ! lol. But he knows it’s futile, he knows how the record companies work, but he’ll still complain. That’s who he is.

Or ‘artists’ like Marr that will obey and do things other than the work (their music) that they’ve already done. And that’s fine, if that’s their choice, and they can stomach it.

Yes of course. And it’s unfortunate regarding an artist like Morrissey that they don’t see what they have or the intelligence to sell what they’ve signed. But besides that, I think they can be blamed for wrongly expecting an artist like Morrissey to be what he is not.
It comes down to expectations, doesn't it?

Don't want to try, don't want promo, want to sit in a corner "being the artist" = great but you'll be lucky to sell 20k copies and then your album will sink without trace.

Loads of artists coast along like that, he wouldn't be the first. But expecting any record label to generate huge sales on the back of an artist who has no interest in selling his own product is ridiculous. It's not about their brains or intelligence either, it's just business.

It comes down to expectations, doesn't it?
To be fair, expectations from both sides.

Of course I side with the artist, especially one like Morrissey.
Don't want to try, don't want promo, want to sit in a corner "being the artist" = great but you'll be lucky to sell 20k copies and then your album will sink without trace.
He must by now be aware of this, and accept the choices he’s made. But he’ll still complain.

Though I would never call the work of the artist, especially of Morrissey’s caliber, to be labeled as
‘Don't want to try, don't want promo, want to sit in a corner’ as if Morrissey is doing nothing. And an artist is not something that one clocks in every morning to do, like some 9-5 job, it is not actually a choice. Morrissey is his art, he is working 24/7, just by being who he is. I think it strange to expect more than that from him.

Loads of artists coast along like that, he wouldn't be the first. But expecting any record label to generate huge sales on the back of an artist who has no interest in selling his own product is ridiculous. It's not about their brains or intelligence either, it's just business.

His art/his being is promo enough. No artist should expect to be business centric.
That’s not to say it wouldn’t hurt.

Though, I understand what you’re saying, that an artist shouldn’t complain if they decide not to do
other than what they are.

My argument is that the art is enough, and it’s up to the label to sell that to the public, it’s their burden, not the artists.

He already paid for the recording himself this time it seems. Maybe because he badly wanted to make an album after the loss of his mother and he had no record company at the time. So perhaps he has already lowered his expectations because in the past, he waited for a record deal to be signed before going into the studio. But he probably still wants a label to do the marketing for him, and yes he will most like ly continue to blame them for poor sales.

Though I would never call the work of the artist, especially of Morrissey’s caliber, to be labeled as
‘Don't want to try, don't want promo, want to sit in a corner’ as if Morrissey is doing nothing. And an artist is not something that one clocks in every morning to do, like some 9-5 job, it is not actually a choice. Morrissey is his art, he is working 24/7, just by being who he is. I think it strange to expect more than that from him.

His art/his being is promo enough. No artist should expect to be business centric.
I find it strange that you say that, though, when we have had more than that from him - for years. He was the Interview King during The Smiths and early solo years, he was everywhere in the music press, he did late-night radio, even TV shows like Pop Jury and Pop Quiz. He was hungry for it then, he wanted success and those interviews were part of the art - to lose them completely and let the label do it all is to lose part of Morrissey, as far as I'm concerned. For him not to care about it - or even just to be content with the embarrassing stuff posted on Central - it still surprises me. Time has changed a lot.

Back
Top Bottom