I Am Not A Dog On A Chain: 2 years on

This Charming Bowie

Welcome to this knockabout world
So, it’s now been 2 years since Morrissey’s last record was released.
Has anyone’s thoughts and feelings changed about the album? Any tracks that are now better/worse in your eyes compared to your first listen?
For me, I still see this as one of his best records, and that opinion has barely shifted since the initial release date. All of the songs I like, and some are up there are part of the top echelons of my favourite Morrissey tracks.
What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
The Truth About Ruth and The Secret of Music are my favorite songs on it. Oh, and Knockabout World.

I haven't listened to it in a while but just put it on and it sounds great still. The overall impact of the songs I really like caused me to possibly be more tolerant overall, but I never skipped songs on it and don't think I would now. I still like it a lot better than the ones between this and Years of Regret and still hope the next one is this good.

I love this album! For me it's one of his very best since the 90s.

Absolute stand-out songs for me are:

Jim Jim Falls
Knockabout World
Once I Saw the River Clean
Darling, I Hug a Pillow

and then almost all the other songs I enjoy a lot, except The Secret of Music which (sorry!) I just can't get into, despite a few attempts.

It's a very mixed album for me.

Some really good songs (What Kind of People, River Clean, Hurling Days Are Done) , some very average, tune-impaired ones (Knockabout World, Dog on a Chain, Hug a Pillow) and then 'experimental' dreck that I'd never willingly listen to again (Secret of Music, Bobby, Jim Jim Falls, Love is On Its Way Out).

It's stronger than World Peace and LIHS so I can see how it could be thought of as a return to form, but it's nowhere near 'classic' Morrissey in my eyes. It has maybe 3 stand-out songs that you can sing to and remember, and I could leave the rest.

Last edited:
I’m pretty much the same as when I first listened to the album.....

The last three songs are quite possibly the worst songs ever recorded by Mozz.

Everything else on the album is some of his greatest recordings.

Bobby being the oddest, but most fascinating of songs, and do we even know yet who Booby was ??

What kind of people is pure pop sing along .

The whole damn album is a banger. Love, love, love it.

It's a strong album and above the average of his solo career (which has admittedly been patchy at times).

Vocally it is very impressive and Morrissey's pipes have help up much better than most singers of his age. There are some interesting lyrics ideas (and a few duffers, too) and it is musically varied and well-produced.

Bobby, What Kind of People Live in These Houses?, Once I Saw the River Clean and My Hurling Days are Done are the highlights for me.

Love Is on Its Way Out and Darling, I Hug a Pillow are two of the lesser tracks.

thesmiths_1985_WKOPLITH.png

It's a very mixed album for me.

Some really good songs (What Kind of People, River Clean, Hurling Days Are Done) , some very average, tune-impaired ones (Knockabout World, Dog on a Chain, Hug a Pillow) and then 'experimental' dreck that I'd never willingly listen to again (Secret of Music, Bobby, Jim Jim Falls, Love is On Its Way Out).

It's stronger than World Peace and LIHS so I can see how it could be thought of as a return to form, but it's nowhere near 'classic' Morrissey in my eyes. It has maybe 3 stand-out songs that you can sing to and remember, and I could leave the rest.
I'd say similar except that some of the ones you like are my least favorites. "Once I Saw the River Clean" must be the best song on the record but "What Kind of People" is musically great while lyrically it's not exceptional. But the real problem is that "Love is On Its Way Out" is one of my favorites. The little instrumental section and the ending "But before it goes" section are very strong to me.
Oh well.

By far not as good as some might want to see it but LIHS and WPINOYB are far worse. Therein lies it's attraction (for some).

Has some cool tracks that I still listen to, certainly wont be considered his greatest stuff but that bar has been set rather high for someone in their 34th year of solo music.

I think it’s an excellent record and has definitely grown on me. I love Once I Saw the River Clean.

Oh it's been two years already? Probably should get a move on and listen to it then.

I meant to, just figured there's no way an album could be as interesting as all these essential Central posts that got all my attention.

:highfive: and the funny thing is I'm not even kidding.

i actually listened to it last night,still very good after two years,light rotation these days rather than the heavy rotation of the first year.
darling is still a favourite for me.

It's good. I think it seems like more of a standout b/c the bar has been set low based on the last few releases. It's good enough to make me interested in what comes next. I didn't feel that way after LIHS or ROTT.

Back
Top Bottom