"I am an animal" - Nature Notes

Disturbing news regarding the decline of (what was) the 'common' House Sparrow:

Number of house sparrows spotted has dropped by nearly 60% since 1979

I recall, as a child, Sparrows were ever present. Nowadays, I rarely see them.
Sad, if in line with estimates of other wild life loss.
As far as I know, many sparrows still frequent where I live. I'll go on sparrow-watch, and try and snap a few 🕵️‍♂️ 🎥

Incidentally, Chairman Mao passed a law the year Morrissey was born, 1959, obliging citizens to kill all sparrows and a few other pests for more agricultural yield, only to cause serious famines all over China - https://www.historydefined.net/how-killing-sparrows-led-to-one-of-the-greatest-famines-in-history/

A classic little book I mentioned before written in the 70s by a Japanese scientist-farmer describes how he worked out ways to prevent the sparrows from eating most of the seed he sowed (p. 28): "My own experience has shown that by sowing the seed while the preceding crop is still in the field so that they are hidden among grasses and clover, and by spreading a mulch of rice, rye, or barley straw as soon as the mature crop has been harvested, the problem of sparrows can be dealt with most effectively." - https://library.uniteddiversity.coop/Permaculture/The_One_Straw_Revolution.pdf

So let's bear that in mind the next time we go planting!

Last edited:
Sad, if in line with estimates of other wild life loss.
As far as I know, many sparrows still frequent where I live. I'll go on sparrow-watch, and try and snap a few 🕵️‍♂️ 🎥
Yeah ok, but don't confuse the House Sparrow with the Hedge Sparrow (correct name being Dunnock)...latter has a smokey bluish plumage around the upper body & head.

Last edited by a moderator:

The interview starts at 14:45 after some boring clucking of the hens. It's a conversation with a biochemist who's developing lab-grown meat specifically for pets. She confirms that essentially you can still be a vegan if you feed your cat on a diet of pet food made from meat, because that meat is from the offal of animals slaughtered for human food, or from animals in factory farms who die before they can make it to the abattoir. Your cat is living on the waste of that industry; the industry isn't breeding, torturing, and slaughtering animals just for your cat.

Obviously, though, this woman is looking forward to some sort of near-term utopia where humans stop eating animals, and domesticated cats will still need meat. She explains that it's possible for a cat to subsist on a plant-based diet, but practically speaking, cats will be apt to refuse the food, because their natural craving is for meat. So she's founded Because Animals in order to keep cats eating nutritious meat.

Good luck, lady. But I liked a decorative non sequitur at the end of their explainer video: a little rocket takes off into space. You're going to need a vegan spaceship colony if you want this utopia, because people on this planet are not going to stop eating meat. They don't even want lab-grown meat. The complaint is, "eww, gross. Petri dishes creep me out. I want wings and ribs." I remember @Light Housework once said she thought people ate meat because they enjoyed knowing animals suffer for it, and I dismissed her, but actually I'm not so sure. Chik-fil-A's Eat Mor Chikin advertising campaign is almost thirty years old. People must still get a chuckle out of it. It's psychopathic.

Last edited:
The last time I mentioned meat eating in a negative light, the person I said it to replied with the argument that vegans hurt many more worms than meat eaters hurt animals. He hunts meat for himself and his dog. What could I say to that?

I've been eating a lot of potatoes lately, and it's true that worms suffer in the process of bringing the potatoes to me. I'm frustrated now, from hearing that hunter's argument, and remembering other similar arguments, like people saying that plants suffer too. Right now, I'm flustered.

I hear and see animals and know they suffer. I see worms and know they suffer. To be vegan, means hurting worms, unless I just eat fruit from trees. I guess humans are bound to cause suffering, because I think I need pumpkin seeds, and carrots, which require hurting worms, and other critters, like slugs.

I won't go back to eating animals. I couldn't bear it. I will continue to plague the worms and slugs though, because the alternative is to live off just fruit trees and I don't trust that would go well for me. I have in the past, lived off of just fruit from trees, with the odd bag of chips and chocolate bars. My health was strong then. Maybe I'll try that again, minus the junk food, and see how it goes.

Maybe. Big fat maybe.

The last time I mentioned meat eating in a negative light, the person I said it to replied with the argument that vegans hurt many more worms than meat eaters hurt animals. He hunts meat for himself and his dog. What could I say to that?

There's really nothing to say if the person gets his meat exclusively from hunting, and eats only meat and consumes no dairy or eggs. But if he's eating plants as well, then he's more or less in the same boat as any vegan in terms of killing critters, insects, and worms. That would be a really exceptional person, though. And worms don't rate high on the sentience scale. The suffering of a worm that gets chopped up by a roto-tiller in a minute or two is nowhere near as acute or as prolonged as the lifelong suffering of a dairy cow.

I've been eating a lot of potatoes lately, and it's true that worms suffer in the process of bringing the potatoes to me. I'm frustrated now, from hearing that hunter's argument, and remembering other similar arguments, like people saying that plants suffer too. Right now, I'm flustered.

The only way to not contribute to any animal suffering whatsoever is to not exist at all. But since we didn't cause our own existence, that one's on our parents, not us. It's true that if we followed the vegan thread of logical consistency to its end, we'd commit suicide. But we don't. The best argument I've heard against veganism is that vegans shouldn't drink alcoholic beverages or prepare their food with spices, since we don't need those things to survive, and they're made from plants from tilled fields, &. That one surprised me, but I can't see anything to refute it. I guess that's the notch above suicide on the vegan purity scale: living on tasteless gruel and water.

I don't see how plants themselves can suffer, though, in any meaningful way that we know of. They lack a brain and a nervous system.

Last edited:
There's really nothing to say if the person gets his meat exclusively from hunting, and eats only meat and consumes no dairy or eggs. But if he's eating plants as well, then he's more or less in the same boat as any vegan in terms of killing critters, insects, and worms. That would be a really exceptional person, though. And worms don't rate high on the sentience scale. The suffering of a worm that gets chopped up by a roto-tiller in a minute or two is nowhere near as acute or as prolonged as the lifelong suffering of a dairy cow.

The only way to not contribute to any animal suffering whatsoever is to not exist at all. But since we didn't cause our own existence, that one's on our parents, not us. It's true that if we followed the vegan thread of logical consistency to its end, we'd commit suicide. But we don't. The best argument I've heard against veganism is that vegans shouldn't drink alcoholic beverages or prepare their food with spices, since we don't need those things to survive, and they're made from plants from tilled fields, &. That one surprised me, but I can't see anything to refute it. I guess that's the notch above suicide on the vegan purity scale: living on tasteless gruel and water.

I don't see how plants themselves can suffer, though, in any meaningful way that we know of. They lack a brain and a nervous system.
Yet they live, and breathe, and grow. They need nutrients, they eat, they sleep, they seek out water, they seek out sun, and space. If treated badly, they die.

Trees are very sensitive, to the extent that even minorly damaging the outer bark can be enough to inadvertently kill them.

Sone trees, some hemlocks and evergreens and firs, do very poorly if you plant one alone, yet positively thrive if planted near each other and if placed near one another in a group, say of at least three or four. They like it.

I can’t believe there are people who have no problem at all believing in other dimensions, in other planes of existence, in energy and in energy in the form of our spirit as being every sentient creature’s dominating life force, and who acknowledge that science in its currently evolved state does not provide adequate explanation for so many wonders of the universe, including answers to the great prevailing questions around our origin, and questions around death.

Yet these same people, exactly as you have just stated, would have a hard time admitting that plants and trees as living things can feel or suffer at all.

This is fascinating to me, and I completely disagree.

This line of thinking puts humans at the very forefront of anything and everything around us, and yet our thinking is flawed, and directionless, and our understanding of the world around us is also still so limited. In my eyes, this line of thinking shows us to be the presumptuous creatures that we are.

I don’t think lack of a central nervous system is enough to refute the possibility that plants and trees may very well also suffer, and feel pain. That’s like saying black holes don’t exist based on the fact that some given person has never physically been in one or seen one for themselves, which is basically on the way to approaching something akin to flat earther arguments, in essence.

It’s also like that woman in that post you made somewhere else that I read somewhere earlier today, but i can’t remember where because I didn’t comment on it at the time that I read it. Was it also in this thread? I’m typing on my dinky phone screen so it’s not worth the trouble to check, but somewhere you were chatting earlier today about a woman who was trying to convince I don’t know who, that she was still a vegan, even if she fed her cat meat.

And people like that, really I genuinely hold in such disdain. It’s like, literally everything that’s wrong with the entire human race - in one single sentence.

In a nutshell, cats are obligate carnivores. Therefore, any person who feels the need to self-soothe by finding some additional construct of a justification for the reasons why or for the reasons how, they would or could feed an animal its own natural diet, is literally the thought process, and the need for justification, of an imbecile.

Someone, anyone, who prioritizes the semantics of their own self-identification (vegan or otherwise) label above the natural, obligate diet of another species they’re purporting to care for - is some kind of low IQ moron mentality of someone who doesn’t deserve to have cats, or any other animals to look after. :rolleyes:

To me, people that place more value on self-assigned labels that describe their lifestyle than they place on the well being of other creatures in their care are just flouting their stupidity for all to see, with the internet being their preferred megaphone of choice.

Wow i guess i really felt like doing some typing on this dinky phone screen right now, lol!

My point is, if current scientific theory totally ignores the fact that negative rhesus factor antigen basically negates the entire theory of evolution, then I certainly wouldn’t expect our limited scientific knowledge to be “proof” that trees and plants don’t suffer, just because they don’t have same physical mechanism to transmit the sensation of pain to their pain receptors by the same mechanism we do, or because trees and plants don’t have the same mechanism by which to evidence and embody tortuous pain they might feel, like we do.

Interesting food for thought though, in some respects. Thanks for letting me add my chit chat to the collective ramble.

It’s also like that woman in that post you made somewhere else that I read somewhere earlier today, but i can’t remember where because I didn’t comment on it at the time that I read it. Was it also in this thread? I’m typing on my dinky phone screen so it’s not worth the trouble to check, but somewhere you were chatting earlier today about a woman who was trying to convince I don’t know who, that she was still a vegan, even if she fed her cat meat.

And people like that, really I genuinely hold in such disdain. It’s like, literally everything that’s wrong with the entire human race - in one single sentence.

In a nutshell, cats are obligate carnivores. Therefore, any person who feels the need to self-soothe by finding some additional construct of a justification for the reasons why or for the reasons how, they would or could feed an animal its own natural diet, is literally the thought process, and the need for justification, of an imbecile.

Someone, anyone, who prioritizes the semantics of their own self-identification (vegan or otherwise) label above the natural, obligate diet of another species they’re purporting to care for - is some kind of low IQ moron mentality of someone who doesn’t deserve to have cats, or any other animals to look after.

It was in this thread, but I may've put things awkwardly. To be fair to the woman (Shannon Falconer), she herself wasn't prioritizing the vegan label. She was asked about the stance of hyper-critical vegans who insist vegans who own cats must feed them a plant-based diet. Falconer thinks that's wrong, though she's not entirely against a plant-based diet for cats. I'm inclined to disagree with her on the last part. Cats, as you point out, are obligate carnivores: even though all the nutrients they need can be found in plants, their GI tract can't process plants.

But Falconer responds that the pet food meat we feed our cats is either lacking in nutrients, being offal, or has lost its nutrients in the rendering process, being the meat of a diseased animal. So the nutrients in pet food meat are synthetic additives, and the idea is that you can just put the same additives in a plant-based cat food. It's a point scored, but it's still not enough to convince me that cats should be eating plants. To Falconer's credit, her whole enterprise is to dispense with the controversy and get domestic cats back on their natural ancestral diet (rodents and birds), and not factory-farmed garbage or plant-based concoctions. Peace upon her.

It was in this thread, but I may've put things awkwardly. To be fair to the woman (Shannon Falconer), she herself wasn't prioritizing the vegan label. She was asked about the stance of hyper-critical vegans who insist vegans who own cats must feed them a plant-based diet. Falconer thinks that's wrong, though she's not entirely against a plant-based diet for cats. I'm inclined to disagree with her on the last part. Cats, as you point out, are obligate carnivores: even though all the nutrients they need can be found in plants, their GI tract can't process plants.

But Falconer responds that the pet food meat we feed our cats is either lacking in nutrients, being offal, or has lost its nutrients in the rendering process, being the meat of a diseased animal. So the nutrients in pet food meat are synthetic additives, and the idea is that you can just put the same additives in a plant-based cat food. It's a point scored, but it's still not enough to convince me that cats should be eating plants. To Falconer's credit, her whole enterprise is to dispense with the controversy and get domestic cats back on their natural ancestral diet (rodents and birds), and not factory-farmed garbage or plant-based concoctions. Peace upon her.
Got it now. Well, the reason it struck a chord with me is because it by far wouldn’t have been the first time for someone to be placing their own label choices above the natural course of nature and/or the well being of their pet. Feeding cats exclusively plant matter is a weak argument for too many reasons to even get in to.

Also, just as an aide, nutrients are not the only things we extract from food. If they were, we, and all living creatures, could easily do away with food altogether and just live on vitamin pills.

The argument (re vegan cats) attracts some very siloed mindsets, and some exceptionally poor thinkers. It’s a tragic hill that some people for some reason definitely choose as the one they want to die on.

I was more interested in the “plants and trees can’t feel anything” conversation, but I am super easily sidetracked, and I am known for having my head easily turned :lbf:

Also, just as an aide, nutrients are not the only things we extract from food. If they were, we, and all living creatures, could easily do away with food altogether and just live on vitamin pills.

Agreed completely. An animal needs not just vitamins, but protein, and it's doubtful that a cat's digestive tract can process plant protein just as well as it would process meat protein. They aren't made for that.

I was more interested in the “plants and trees can’t feel anything” conversation, but I am super easily sidetracked, and I am known for having my head easily turned

Plants can certainly "feel," in that they respond to stimuli. I think it's possible that plants might "suffer" in some way, but it would have to be quantitatively different from the suffering of a sentient creature. I'm only using quotes here because plants lack consciousness as far as I can tell.

From an aesthetic standpoint, it always looks sad to me when the maintenance crews do their pruning of trees near the power lines. Those half-sawed-off branches look too much like the stumps of amputated limbs. I'm anthropomorphizing, I know. And along the lines of the fantastic, I like Algernon Blackwood's story, The Man Whom the Trees Loved.

Agreed completely. An animal needs not just vitamins, but protein, and it's doubtful that a cat's digestive tract can process plant protein just as well as it would process meat protein. They aren't made for that.

Plants can certainly "feel," in that they respond to stimuli. I think it's possible that plants might "suffer" in some way, but it would have to be quantitatively different from the suffering of a sentient creature. I'm only using quotes here because plants lack consciousness as far as I can tell.

From an aesthetic standpoint, it always looks sad to me when the maintenance crews do their pruning of trees near the power lines. Those half-sawed-off branches look too much like the stumps of amputated limbs. I'm anthropomorphizing, I know. And along the lines of the fantastic, I like Algernon Blackwood's story, The Man Whom the Trees Loved.
Well , protein is definitely a macronutrient, so I wasn’t even thinking of protein, but more along the lines that people and animals also need (live) enzymes to be healthy and to live a long life. Also, live matter, and fresh matter, both have totally different nutritional profiles and benefits than anything that has been processed, freeze dried, pasteurized to maintain freshness or a longer shelf life, etc etc. Feeding cats offal is tremendous for their health, organ meats are full of nutrients. By-products in commercial cat food is nothing to do with fresh organ meats, it’s a kind of new garbage invention totally in a category of its own, and almost all commercially produced cat foods are full of garbage that isn’t fit for feline consumption - including all the foods marketed as “grain-free”, which are full of pea protein, potato starch, carrageenan, guar gums, and various chemical preservatives :rolleyes: . In other words, the remnants and the actual garbage of all of the rest of the entire food industry. My oh my, how I do love to go down a nice winding tangent, though :lbf:

But I do know what you mean about it being depressing when they haphazardly chop away at trees over the power lines. It’s partially so awful (and so awful looking) when they do that, because in the US they’re not doing that job properly. It’s impermissible to randomly hack off some branches of a tree on one side that are “in your way” and to leave a tree lopsided like that, unless you also want that tree to die.

Proper pruning of trees so that they continue to grow and renew themselves in a way that commits to their health and longevity requires doing something called pollarding, and the most striking examples of I’ve seen of this are on some beautiful wide Parisian city center and other European boulevards. Elsewhere too, where arborists respect their trade and respect nature and living things in equal measure, but yes, definitely not seen around power lines, or around the unkempt snarls of overgrown mangled dried and sadly dead trees around highways in the US.

Now, what was I just saying about my liking to go down a nice tangent here and there, every now and again? :lbf:

I can’t help it. I like trees, and I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about, appreciating, and paying attention to how to take best care of mine.

IMG_2368.jpeg

Insightful exchange! The mainstream American diet is criminally bad. It's a systemic problem that individuals shouldn't have to struggle so hard to leave for healthy food. Cheap processed unhealthy food is pushed hard. It's wrong.

Though this psychologist is talking about climate change, his analysis and suggestions could apply in large part to changing food patterns in society too, or so it seems to me - https://e360.yale.edu/features/how_...420221497&mc_cid=844d2f0b73&mc_eid=270c825848

And I found it interesting to learn that veganism has been traditionally practised in parts of Caribbean culture for centuries, especially by Rastafarians who imbue this lifestyle with spiritual qualities -

And I found it interesting to learn that veganism has been traditionally practised in parts of Caribbean culture for centuries, especially by Rastafarians who imbue this lifestyle with spiritual qualities -

Nothing against the Ital diet, but it’s kind of an embarrassment for Rastafarians that Haile Selassie ate meat. O, religion!

And in one account of Buddha's cause of death, he accepted a bowl of rice containing pieces of rotten pork during his alms rounds. Not to mention drinking the blood and eating the body.

Yes, that’s true, but I just think that in the case of Haile Selassie, it’s amusing he didn’t follow the Ital diet and didn’t even accept his own divinity. The Rastafari believed in him anyway. There’s something of the “But I’m not the Messiah!” bit from The Life of Brian in this. People believe whatever they want to believe.

Yes, that’s true, but I just think that in the case of Haile Selassie, it’s amusing he didn’t follow the Ital diet and didn’t even accept his own divinity. The Rastafari believed in him anyway. There’s something of the “But I’m not the Messiah!” bit from The Life of Brian in this. People believe whatever they want to believe.

Beliefs are also part of that story you mentioned, The Man whom the Trees Loved by Algernon Blackwood. The Darwin/ religion debate is central, alongside Gothic elements. Here's an Asimov story for you, The Last Question : )

Now let us gaze upon Sam's gentleness photo :hearteyecat:

76795_b78690c0dcd9b74aa91c06efe73635e7.jpeg

Last edited:
There's a lovely ecological puppet show called The Man Who Planted Trees that tours & often does the Edinburgh Festival.

Looks heartwarming. Edinburgh Festival connection is always a promising imprimatur.

Since we're on trees, scientist Suzanne Simard speaks about finding out that trees talk to each other, live in communities and communicate through a network of mycelia. Algernon Blackwood was before his time!

And another scientist shares his findings on plant and tree consciousness, while mentioning the whole chain of life, which is sometimes forgotten in the scrutinising -
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...scinating-tree-stories?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom