"I am an animal" - Nature Notes

A very interesting story about a beautiful bird, mozmar, with the officious intervention, as you say, leaving a sour taste. Why couldn't they have spoken to Mr Arif, thanked him and just been nice, instead of almost treating him like a criminal? Disdain for those doing genuine good deeds seems to be more and more common. Good luck to them all though.

Here's another hopeful story about a fox who's made his home in the backyard of a famous brewery!
https://dublininquirer.com/2023/03/21/photo-of-the-month-march-2023/

Photo-of-the-month-scaled.jpg

One of a couple of squirrels I briefly catch sight of most days I go walking in a nearly little woodland.

View attachment 90067
Must confess, I love squirrels. We get around 4 come into the garden. Sadly, they're not the red variety (they're greys) but, despite their insistence on burying conkers in my lawns, I do love them. I've never seen such a fast moving, & agile, creature. Quite marvellous to watch.

Must confess, I love squirrels. We get around 4 come into the garden. Sadly, they're not the red variety (they're greys) but, despite their insistence on burying conkers in my lawns, I do love them. I've never seen such a fast moving, & agile, creature. Quite marvellous to watch.

It's unusual for squirrels to venture into gardens, although I lived near an estate where greys were plentiful and they seemed much less shy. I read somewhere that squirrels are exceptionally deceptive animals. For example, if they have nuts hidden and another squirrel comes near, they'll move to another spot and pretend to be preoccupied with their buried treasure there, to put the newcomers off! What country are you in, Mozmar?

Back to your crane story, I learned a pair nested in the Irish midlands in 2021 and hatched chicks -
https://blog.therainforestsite.greatergood.com/cranes-ireland-peat/

As Cat on a Train is doing to protect their peregrine falcons, the location is being kept hidden, and I haven't been able to find an update, but I'll keep a look-out! :telescope:

Good news about the cranes, hope they prosper; beautiful birds. Those are a different variety to the ones in the Indian story we discussed. I'm in the UK, in not a particularly rural location, but not too many houses, it's very quiet & surrounded by trees (including conker/horse chestnut trees), which I guess the squirrels find attractive. They're regular visitors in the garden.

It didn't take long: Forbes | Researcher Calls 1st Marburg Virus Outbreak A ‘Lab Leak,’ Here’s Why Experts Pushed Back. Of course, the last two things you need when writing an article like that is the last name of "Yee" and the citation of experts. If there's anything the paranoid panicky don't like, it's the Chinese and elites of any kind. I'll await Russell Brand: "they're tellin' you Marburg comes from bats. Sounds familiar, don't it!"
Oxymoronically, confusion remains the order of the day! Didja mean that for one of the covid threads? Where do you usually go to for your news and comedy?
Good news about the cranes, hope they prosper; beautiful birds. Those are a different variety to the ones in the Indian story we discussed. I'm in the UK, in not a particularly rural location, but not too many houses, it's very quiet & surrounded by trees (including conker/horse chestnut trees), which I guess the squirrels find attractive. They're regular visitors in the garden.
It transpires cranes have also been re-introduced to the UK in the past year or two. to several counties - https://community.rspb.org.uk/ourwork/b/science/posts/breeding-cranes-reach-record-high
So keep your eyes peeled, for one of those birds, or given news of recent days, even for this bird!
iu

Oxymoronically, confusion remains the order of the day! Didja mean that for one of the covid threads? Where do you usually go to for your news and comedy?

I thought it might be off-topic for the coronavirus thread, but since it involves bats, and since this thread is generically about animals, I put it here. Oddly, I get most of my news from the abominable Fox News, but that’s not by choice; I am the caretaker of a committed Fox viewer. I get my comedy from the human comedy, when it’s not being the human tragedy. Fox News | Biden calls devastated Mississippi town Rolling Fork ‘Rolling Stone.’

Yeah, ok they're insects so might be OT, but they are incredible: Bees are sentient

" 'Fringe’ research suggests the insects that are essential to agriculture have emotions, dreams and even PTSD, raising complex ethical questions"

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, ok they're insects so might be OT, but they are incredible: Bees are sentient

" 'Fringe’ research suggests the insects that are essential to agriculture have emotions, dreams and even PTSD, raising complex ethical questions"
Impressive to think those complex ethical questions were being addressed by Buddhists at least and maybe some of their predecessors 1,500 years ago - https://www.lionsroar.com/introducing-thich-nhat-hanhs-five-mindfulness-trainings/

Sometimes I do a Flower-Insect Timed Count on my lavender shrub for the National Biodiversity Data Centre - https://pollinators.ie/record-pollinators/fit-count/

It can actually bee quite a buzz!! :bee: 🌺

I had two bats that lived in the wine cellar when i was a child

Unrelated: many years later, I put a saucer of milk out in the garden for the kittens one day, and when i turned around five minutes later, the baby hedgehogs had squashed up in between them all and they were all happily huddled around and baby-lickety-lapping up all the milk all together ❤️

I had two bats that lived in the wine cellar when i was a child

Unrelated: many years later, I put a saucer of milk out in the garden for the kittens one day, and when i turned around five minutes later, the baby hedgehogs had squashed up in between them all and they were all happily huddled around and baby-lickety-lapping up all the milk all together ❤️
An endearing incident told with charm, scanty : )

In the park where I saw the muscovy ducks, peacocks also roam, including this one showing off

20220507_120908 (1).jpg

Vice News | Millions of Birds Have Been Killed in Japan. Now There’s No Space to Bury Them.

Japan has lost a record number of poultry to bird flu—so many, in fact, that the country doesn’t have enough land to bury them.

Since October, 17 million birds and chickens have been culled, leading to soaring egg prices, some restaurants pulling egg-based dishes off their menu, and a burial ground shortage. Local authorities and farms are required to kill and bury the animals to prevent the virus from spreading.

But land shortages are preventing proper disposal of the animals, according to a report from Japan’s state broadcaster NHK. The outlet found that of the 26 prefectures and provinces that reported aviation flu outbreaks, 16 lacked enough land to dispose of the birds.

Japan has been struggling to contain the spread of bird flu, a highly contagious disease for poultry. It can kill certain domesticated species, such as turkeys and chickens, the latter of which experiences a mortality rate of up to 100 percent if infected and can die within 48 hours.

Dying within 48 hours, of course, is better than enduring the six- to seven-week lifespan the average chicken spends in misery on a factory farm. As agri-business wrings its hands, and as petulant poultry- and egg-buyers complain, this avian flu is a blessing to the birds who would otherwise languish in captivity.

Sick%20and%20deformed%20chickens%20suffering%20inside%20a%20chicken%20factory%20farm

they had three "touchable objects" in the entry hall, a stuffed fox, a fossil of some sorts and a petrified giant mussel. after that, only watching and no grabbing, please, which is fair enough, of course.
i could've spent the whole day with the fox... but there was a long line of kids waiting to get a chance to caress the fox as well, so i had to cut it short, unfortunately.
DSC_0344.2 - Kopie.JPG

as soft as a kitty...

Back
Top Bottom