"I am an animal" - Nature Notes

As cruel as it seems to us, nature is their doctor.
animals instinctively fast when they get sick. and then we take them to the doctor and force feed them with a eyedropper as though we know better than their own instincts.

These anecdotes of cats giving humans CPR etc, that's all very sweet, but they're anecdotes.

i knowwww!!!! and they're so genteel that when they reach the shore with the stick and the border collie waiting there takes it out of their mouth so as to get the credit for retrieving it, the lab will just let them.

Labs are SO nice. Big the lab always lets the small one sleep in his dog bed, and he sleeps on the hard wooden floor. :love:

A health treatment modality supported by more evidence-based research than many medicines - acupuncture - is performed based on a chakra interpretation of the body. Whatever properties crystals may have, they have a strong aesthetic and relaxing appeal for many. Isn't there great value per se in pleasure and calmness, which is hard to get counted in a world dead-set on efficiency? Beyond basic needs, what does the human animal seek?

An apologist for chakras and crystals? I wonder if, goinghome, when you're not listening to the good-taste selections you usually post in the what song right now thread, you're listening to CDs of whale sounds while arranging the Osho and Castaneda volumes on your bookshelf. I'm sorry, but it's not for me. That's why I didn't watch the video of Graham Hancock and Russell Brand. I think they're a bit bonkers. "I don't believe in I Ching."

I don't think and didn't say human obsolescence is a foregone conclusion, even while sharing concern about apparent widespread intractability - "Nationalized and globalized economic and political systems are increasingly dysfunctional and incapable of adequately responding to increasing challenges. Supply chains are breaking down. Marginalized populations are growing. Climate extremes are intensifying, while areas actually hit by them are struggling to rebuild. Global tensions and military spending are increasing, which basic needs such as clean water and affordable housing are crying to be met. The capture of governance systems by powerful interests serving only their own ends makes it difficult to address these growing problems. Gridlock and breakdown are the outcomes. The same institutions can and do capture local and state governments as well. But closer to home democratic possibilities are greater, and the people power mobilization we need to overcome vested interests is more possible. In the end, a national political system that no longer works opens the possibilities to create more horizontal arrangements, where institutions at local, state and regional/bioregional scales are empowered to tackle challenges and build societies more amenable to the human spirit and in tune with the nature of which we all are, finally, a part. Let us neither be alarmed or depressed by breakdowns at the national level. Instead, let it be a motivation to build our movements and strength closer to home, to be prepared for whatever might come." - https://theraven.substack.com/p/is-...ion_id=72245&post_id=95107052&isFreemail=true

I'm afraid that's all too abstract and speculative. Here's something closer to reality. Take ten of your meat-&-dairy-eating acquaintances, and endeavor yourself over the course of a month to convince them stop eating meat & dairy. The results will tell you everything you need to know in terms of what chances the animals have for as long as we humans are around. The only "people power" they are going to know is the kind of people power that machine-macerates live chicks (which, horrific as that is, actually spares the poor soul a greater misery, were it to live).

David Byrne of Talking Heads created an inspiring newsletter of similar stories about constructive actions people are taking around the world - https://reasonstobecheerful.world/

And he was also recently seen performing with Miley Cyrus on a New Year's Eve special. Another 80s wash-out trying to stay relevant, and, like Sting and Bono, trying to save the world. You know which 80s artist has survived with his dignity intact? Shane MacGowan. I think I can have every reason to be confident that Shane MacGowan will never duet with Miley Cyrus, nor will he ever spearhead a gooey nonprofit organization. Last I heard, he was living in a Dublin apartment, confined to a wheelchair, and speaking in barely-intelligible wheezes. He may eat meat, but he's not leaving any children behind to eat more meat in his wake. Praise be to Shane MacGowan.

The very phrase, "reasons to be cheeful" makes me recoil. But I guess one reason there is to be cheerful, from my point of view, is that humans will ultimately prove incapable of fending off their own self-made doom. And when we go, our cruelty to animals goes with us. "Cheers."

Last edited:
I find so much poetry in the architecture of a spider web, you can read them like poems. Same with a formation of birds flying overhead.

I do, too. I am SO in awe of nature. I prefer birdsong to most music. A wild orchid, a delicate little butterfly, a beautiful sunset - it's all so lovely and amazing. But it's us who attribute "poetic" and "beautiful" and "amazing" to it. I don't think nature knows that it's beautiful and inspiring. My dogs don't appreciate a spider web or a butterfly - they just trample on it, whereas we stop to admire it. What is all this beauty there for if not to be admired?

An apologist for chakras and crystals? I wonder if, goinghome, when you're not listening to the good-taste selections you usually post...
We'll agree to disagree so, Aubrey. I don't think you really know yet what side you're on? Do feel free to read me like a book though! And come back when you have a snap of your pet scorpion to share ; )

PETA explains animal rights, as does this book by UN Rapporteur. And the Stop Ecocide movement may yet deliver.

I'm waiting for one of these guys to show up and strut his stuff in my little pond. Should be any day now

OMG I'm starting to see Nicky Wire everywhere because of you. The lab, Björn, my own lanky frame... :lbf:
Even redacted's signature!!:lbf:

La vie en nicky wire!! 😍

But truly, he really is like a lab. He's loyal and sweet and at the end of the day just likes to have a laugh. He even looks like one with his good natured round face.

Speaking of bjornski, has he managed to obtain a feather boa yet?? He needs to start dressing like a rock star like Ed if he's gonna have any chance with the ladies.

Speaking of bjornski, has he managed to obtain a feather boa yet?? He needs to start dressing like a rock star like Ed if he's gonna have any chance with the ladies.

Oh, I'm abroad so I don't know what he is up to. I hope that when I get home I won't find the place full of chicks and the bar empty. :lbf:

Oh, I'm abroad so I don't know what he is up to. I hope that when I get home I won't find the place full of chicks and the bar empty. :lbf:
well if you cared you'd bring him back a feather boa!!

also thanks for reminding me i have baileys!! i completely forgot!! (im not fasting yet because i just discovered the existence of ben & jerry's mint ice cream with brownies (instead of gross chocolate chips which are to me what raisins are to you) and i have to get my fill of it before i begin fasting or im going to be thinking about it ALL THE TIME.) (im nearly sick of it now.)

We'll agree to disagree so, Aubrey. I don't think you really know yet what side you're on? Do feel free to read me like a book though! And come back when you have a snap of your pet scorpion to share ; )

PETA explains animal rights, as does this book by UN Rapporteur. And the Stop Ecocide movement may yet deliver.

I'm waiting for one of these guys to show up and strut his stuff in my little pond. Should be any day now

I apologize if my response to you seemed a bit snippy there, goinghome. This is a topic on which I despair, and that tends to bring out my acerbic side. I like reading your posts on this forum and I don’t actually think you’re a certifiable New Age flake, but—I do think your sympathies occasionally veer towards the cuckoo and the goo-goo. Occasionally.

But yes, we’ll agree to disagree. Whether the human race finally gets its act together and collectively rallies toward kindness and compassion and conservation on a global scale (“if you think peace is a common goal...”), or whether the human race flames out on account of its incurably cruel appetites, neither of us is probably going to be around long enough to see it happen. All each of us can do is hope for our desired outcome, and maybe there’s a way we can witness it from beyond the grave (though I doubt it). But I do know which side I’m on.

Back
Top Bottom