Hyde Park - The return of Alain Whyte?

I don't think that the general consensus is that he's better than Jesse. It's that his personality connects with people. I don't really think it's about the music, because the band sounded great.

Mikey will be missed if he really is gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
He accepted my friend request on Myspace today, haha.

I think Alain's a sweetheart, the way he dances and stuff on the stage.

I wanna give him and Boz a big hug. :D I just think they're both so adorable.

I dunno, I'm just weird.

I dunno, I'm just weird.

That's not weird they are adorable. I think this post marks just over halfway to this becoming a FACT!

:guitar: imagine that with a perfectly combed quiff and a big cheesy smile.

That's exactly right. I remember people used to knock Alain all the time for hitting "bum notes," especially during Smiths songs. And he often came up when people moaned about Morrissey not getting new songwriters. Well, we see now that he's consistently written outstanding tracks, in diverse styles, for Morrissey from the beginning until now (I'm not saying every single song is a masterpiece).

Jesse can obviously play and puts in a lot of effort, but...my impression is that he would play exactly the same way whether he was in his bedroom or on stage. He's the guitar equivalent of autism (no offense to anybody here with family members suffering from that condition). He's written a couple of songs I like, but is very limited.

Alain connects with the audience, looks better (also due to his interaction), is a much better songwriter (there is Definitely consensus on that) and just cool.

I've never wavered either -- there are some of us on here!

And Mikey was very good. My ideal is the original ('91) lineup plus Mikey.

I don't think that the general consensus is that he's better than Jesse. It's that his personality connects with people. I don't really think it's about the music, because the band sounded great.

Mikey will be missed if he really is gone.

You wont find one negative comment ever have being posted by me regarding Alain.

Nor is my support of Alain an attack on Jesse.

Last edited:
That's exactly right. I remember people used to knock Alain all the time for hitting "bum notes," especially during Smiths songs. And he often came up when people moaned about Morrissey not getting new songwriters. Well, we see now that he's consistently written outstanding tracks, in diverse styles, for Morrissey from the beginning until now (I'm not saying every single song is a masterpiece).

Jesse can obviously play and puts in a lot of effort, but...my impression is that he would play exactly the same way whether he was in his bedroom or on stage. He's the guitar equivalent of autism (no offense to anybody here with family members suffering from that condition). He's written a couple of songs I like, but is very limited.

Alain connects with the audience, looks better (also due to his interaction), is a much better songwriter (there is Definitely consensus on that) and just cool.

well done..i agree to 99,9 %;)..but why spencer again???..matt is miles better:eek:..ok that's not the topic:D

well done..i agree to 99,9 %;)..but why spencer again???..matt is miles better:eek:..ok that's not the topic:D

YA I AGREE.

WHY SPENCER?
D: He scares me lots.

I mean, he might be a good drummer...

BUT HE SCARES ME. :(

I just remember a hell of a lot of posts slagging off Alain when he was in the band that's all. And when Jesse first came on board the majority view was that he'd injected new life and kicked the band into touch.

I was going to disagree with Danny about the majority welcoming Jesse as an injection of new blood, but King Leer reminded me with specific reference to the "bum notes" heh heh that people did indeed complain about Alain. :mad:

I've been pining for Alain's return to the touring band since...well, since he left. :tears: Unfortunately, despite Alain being the co-writer to the latest batch of registered songs, I've heard some nasty scuttlebutt about the state of Alain's relationship with Morrissey recently. :tears: I don't think Alain will be at Hyde Park. :tears: :tears: I'm hoping the rumours are false, but my only mistake is I'm hoping. I can't repeat the details of the rumours here, so please don't ask. Let's just say they are just unreliable rumours, so don't worry your pretty little heads about it.

What do I know anyway? I remember when I thought Alain Whyte would've made an appearance with Morrissey at the Isle of Wight festival because of the punning sound of Whyte and Wight. And wouldn't Betty Dwyer have some sharp words for her son if he pulled out of a festival with Roxy Music, one of her faves? Doh!

I dunno, I'm just weird.

Alain is a sweetheart. :sweet:

Well said. Especially the part I bolded. He's too cool! :guitar::guitar::guitar:

Not heard it, but the way things work around here is that if this thread gets 5 posts, it becomes a strong rumour, 25 posts then it becomes a possibility. 45 posts it becomes FACT:D

Jukebox Jury
:p this cracked me up

If this really is the only UK gig this summer and Alain has written all the as yet unheard songs, then let the boy play!
I don't believe it is the only UK gig. They'll announce more gigs when O2 tickets are sold out :rolleyes:

that may take a while - when did Moz last sell 30,000 for one gig?

Yeah, Moz can attract about 20,000 to his live shows in the London area (more if he hasn't toured for ages). Earls Court (15,000) didn't sell out and that was at the end of 2004, altho there were a couple of other UK arena dates in the tour.
Beck could probably shift quite a few tickets tho (at least 5,000). He should get a good length set, being second on the bill, so I guess Beck fans would be tempted even if not into Moz. Beck has a pretty devoted fanbase.
If any more big-name indie bands are added to the bill, it'll probably sell out quite quickly but, the way things stand, it should be easy to get tickets...

sure but i dont see The National bringing thousands of fans, Beck might i suppose.

But i also think we have to take the press release at its word - this is the only UK date this summer. Therefore we should make the most of it and enjoy. Lets hope it doesnt rain although i suppose the set can be adjusted to include William if it does.

There may well be dates elsewhere in Europe this summer and UK dates later in the year - probably to support the new album release.

They'll be adding a few more bands yet, it's not just about individual bands it's about a good combination and 'the national' are a brilliant addition. The organizers can certainly rely on the morrissey fanbase to shift alot of tickets and the rest will generally be neutrals who are just attracted by the bill...it'll sell out easy, you'll quote me on that won't you?
I think someone like the doves or elbow would suit that bill perfectly.

Anyway back to Alain, great songwriter but i still say Morrissey's band sound better live with Jesse...and i've witnessed them both live to know.

Last edited:
Personally I felt morrissey's statement was a bit strange - does he usually announce a gig with a grand little quote? - It made me think perhaps the gig was extra special. All the talk of "Hits from disc magazine" (does this mean old hits? - Smiths hits?) and the specific invitation to "Arthounds" and those with "bad haircuts" (copycat quiffs) made me think he was extending an invitation to Smiths fans in particular? - like he was dropping a hint that maybe - just maybe he will be joined on staged by one Jonny Marr.

or maybe not.

- like he was dropping a hint that maybe - just maybe he will be joined on staged by one Jonny Marr.

or maybe not.

Ha. That's an interesting hypothesis. Come on people, what do you think about it? :D

For £40 a ticket? Not going to happen.

If that EVER were to happen there'd be hype like you wouldn't believe and ticket prices would soar.

Oh, and back to Alain Whyte... 8 posts to go! :guitar:

Last edited:
For £40 a ticket? Not going to happen.

If that EVER were to happen there'd be hype like you wouldn't believe and ticket prices would soar.

Oh, and back to Alain Whyte... 8 posts to go! :guitar:

Yes, but either way... there's now a rumor afloat, just created here and now... I expect it will turn up in the NME within a few weeks! Good job... ;)

Yes, but either way... there's now a rumor afloat, just created here and now... I expect it will turn up in the NME within a few weeks! Good job... ;)

We can star another thread and if that thread reaches 45 posts the rumour becomes a fact. Now how much fun would that be? :D:D:D

And fyi, I wasn't the one who brought it up... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom