HURTS - So far

Discussion in 'Other Music archive (read-only)' started by dizzywhore_1804, Dec 14, 2009.

1. dizzywhore_1804

dizzywhore_1804 A big-nose who knows...

After the glowing reviews on my other thread :)blushing:) I thought I'd post what else I've collected.

Included is the (according to Popjustice) demo version of 'Wonderful Life', a white-label release of 'Unspoken' and two Huw Stephens sessions of 'Illuminated' and 'Silver Lining'.

All sounds very good, 'Wonderful Life' is marvellous, and 'Unspoken' features the lyric "I'd rather be lonely, than be by your side" which is a bit fantastic.

Anyway, see what you think: http://www.sendspace.com/file/c56872

'Wonderful Life' video.

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SjFJIqzUvkw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SjFJIqzUvkw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  2. dizzywhore_1804

Re: HURTS - So far....

Blurb: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009...new-band-hurts

I really, really think a lot of people on here will enjoy this band - 'Better Than Love' is slated to be the single - but there are at least three AMAZING songs on this selection, and it never dips below brilliant.

Contains:
    Better Than Love
    Blood Tears Gold
    Happiness
    Illuminated
    Illuminated (BBC session)
    Silver Lining
    Silver Lining (BBC session)
    Stay [Live] (Low quality, but sooo good)
    Unspoken
    Unspoken (Fred Falke Mix)
    Wonderful Life
    Wonderful Life (Baker Mix + Instrumental)
    Wonderful Lifer (Demo)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jjct4b

3. Nats1977

Nats1977 New Member

Thats very good of you - thanks. i am hopefully going to see them soon which according to Popjustice will be great!

4. Nats1977

Nats1977 New Member

Oh my God - I saw Hurts tonight and they were bloody brilliant! They have so many elements of great bands but were unique; I fear an obsession coming on...Thank you dizzywhore for the download so I have music to listen to repeatedly until the album comes out:)

5. dizzywhore_1804

No problem - I won't be able to see them this tour unfortunately (like all my fave bands they only tour on days I'm in the studio).

Was 'Stay' as amazing outside of fuzzy mp3 format?

Trailer for the single on their site now: http://www.youtube.com/user/videohurts#p/a/u/0/UGp-0TYEe9s

6. Nats1977

Nats1977 New Member

It was the highlight - my friend and I stood open mouthed in wonder!

It was odd them being on the nme radar tour thing - most people left after Darwin Deez who was on third and then another load left after Everything Everything. By the time Hurts came on King Tuts had about 100 folk scattered about but they were completely spellbound. The band didn't look ruffled but playing to a half empty tiny venue must have been a little weird considering the hype. You will be better seeing them in grander circumstances that suit their sound I think...

7. houseofleaves

houseofleaves New Member

Hey guys, is there any chance of a re-up? I'm dying to hear these songs..

8. someofusisturningnasty

someofusisturningnasty Expired

Saw them tonight for the second time...absolutely amazing. This band is going to be something. I'm so in love with Theo...such a beautiful man.

Managed to get the setlist too, so all is well :)

9. someofusisturningnasty

someofusisturningnasty Expired

Their debut gig was in a church...I think they'll be pressed to top that particular venue to be honest, it was something else.

10. refusal of ringleader

refusal of ringleader New Member

could some reup that sendspace download posted by houseofleaves?
    would be awesome i've been looking for that happiness song.

thanx.

11. Noisettes

Noisettes New Member

Hurts (UK Band)

...simply tell you that there is something classic at work here.

Hurts sound like "Music For The Masses"-era Depeche having a drink with Roxy at the "Avalon" club, while djs Neil & Chris test their early singles on the crowd.

Déja vu? Perhaps, but "Wonderful Life", the first single, is an extremely effective song, its midtempo geometric structure seared by a tense vocal performance (good lyrics) and flecked towards the end by a wistful sax solo. Detached and fervent in equal measure, this (Mancunian?) duo even sport a striking look drenched in black & white Dolce Vita imagery, with a singer who could be easily mistaken for David Bowie circa 1975.

You need more, of course. Doing the rounds is a remix of "Wonderful Life" by none other than Arthur Baker, who wisely leaves the vocal untouched while enhancing the hooks and rhythmical qualities of the original. It all sounds blissfully neworderish, but then again it must be that classic factor working its mojo on your pop memories.

Take a stroll on the Web and you may bump into "Blood, Tears And Gold"; a soulful breakup ballad, it adds acoustic guitars and piano to the synth-pop palette, resulting in a track even more melodious and poignant. A "Say Hello, Wave Goodbye" for the new decade?

And yes, August 16th is a long way coming, but these first impressions remain tantalizingly indelible.

Are you ready to get hurt?

Hurts Discography
    Hurts Lyrics

:guitar:

12. dizzywhore_1804

Re: Hurts (UK Band)

And yet through all of this you fail to mention you can buy their debut single 'Better Than Love' on iTunes now. Failed to crack top 40, but remains strong nonetheless. Odd choice for a lead single, but lets hope their epic ballads pic them up some momentum.

Off to see them next week if anyone else is going?

[youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bn8tBgI1BVQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bn8tBgI1BVQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

13. Irregular Regular

Irregular Regular Forget my fate.

Hi Dizzy,

Would you be kind enough to please re-upload the tracks?

Cheers,

I.R.

14. dizzywhore_1804

Hey, afraid I'm not on my usual computer at the moment so don't have easy access to the stuff. Anyone else out there have it?

'Better Than Love' is 59p on UK iTunes.

15. Irregular Regular

What's iTunes? :lbf:
    Only kidding, I will 'invest' 59p and download it now. :thumb:
    Wouldn't mind listening to their other tracks if you ever get a chance of re-uploading though...

Cheers,

I.R.

16. dizzywhore_1804

Will be getting my old iTunes back in a week or two. Will upload then. In the meantime check out this song: forgive the fact its a bootleg, the audio is fine. It sends shivers up the back of my neck. Listen loud.

[youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PZF1pjkvY4c&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PZF1pjkvY4c&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

17. Irregular Regular

Thank you Dizzy.
    I must admit that I prefer their debut single, with its rather catchy chorus.
    Is it me or do they look a bit like Bros? I don't mean to be offensive, that's exactly what the singer's looks reminded me of.

Cheers,

I.R.

18. skellngtn

skellngtn Junior Member

some other site mentioned Suede fans would likely be into Hurts as well, so that and the mention that the lead guy was "Bowie -esque" was all i needed to give them a spin. Better than Love is the song I've liked the most of the lot...

19. Irregular Regular

Re: Hurts (UK Band)

This track is seriously addictive... :thumb:

20. skellngtn

skellngtn Junior Member

Dizzy-
    I'll second or third that request for the re-up when you get back to your itunes. Spent the last week DLing all the mp3s of these guys I could find but am still missing most of the BBC Sessions, Happiness, Stay, demos....