Hurrah! Argentina beats USA Dream Team at Basketball at World championship with score 87-80!!!!!!

• Thread starter Fox in the Snow
  • Start date
F

Fox in the Snow

There are 2 reports of the historic Argentinean Basketball achievement!

Wednesday, September 4

USA Basketball must rethink strategy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Chad Ford
ESPN.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Dream Team is dead. The ghost of Larry Bird has left the building. And the nightmare for Team USA has just begun.

Don't cry for Team USA. The truth is Argentina not only beat America Wednesday night, they took the formerly unbeaten NBA-powered national team to school.

America lost more than a game. The air of invincibility now is completely gone. The King is dead and international basketball will never be the same.

"We have given hope to many teams," Emmanuel Ginobili said. "The U.S. is no longer the best in the world. . . I think they are not happy for sure."

"I'm embarrassed to be on the team to take the first loss," Paul Pierce said.

However, coach George Karl came quickly to his defense. "Our players should be complimented because they came. They knew the challenge would be hard, but they came."

Was Karl placing the blame on the top tier NBA players that declined an invitation to Team USA? Could Argentina have beaten a team with Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan? Probably not. But if USA Basketball learns anything from this experience it is that All Star teams are vulnerable. Argentina proved emphatically that team chemistry and basketball fundamentals trump star power and athleticism.

The outcome was probably preordained. With international players making huge strides and USA Basketball getting weaker and weaker, it was a matter of time. The United Sates has been getting by on its B game for years. It's been plagued with too much dream, not enough team.

The U.S. teams had already lost their biggest edge, intimidation, over the course of the last decade. Now everyone with an accent and a pair of high tops is circling like a vulture.

"I am impressed with the conviction the team had of not losing the battle before starting," Argentina coach Ruben Magnano said. "Our conviction outweighed anything that was technical or tactical."

Using a physical, punishing defense and a slashing offense, Argentina ran circles around the U.S. on both ends of the court. "We make everyone play ugly," point guard Pepe Sanchez said. "We put a lot of pressure on the ball and we put out hands on them. They didn't like it."

Indeed. At times, the U.S. players seemed to be losing their composure. During one sequence in the first quarter, forward Luis Scola emphatically blocked Jermaine O'Neal on a dunk attempt. An angry O'Neal stepped on Scola while he was still on the floor, drawing a double foul that resulted in four free throw shots. Moments later, Reggie Miller lost his cool pushing Leandro Palladino in the back as he fought his way through a screen.

The U.S. staged a mini-comeback late in the third quarter behind Paul Pierce and the aggressive play of point guard Andre Miller. At the end of the third quarter, Argentina still led 68-60.

However, terrible shooting, huge defensive lapses and poor foul shooting kept America from getting closer. The team finished shooting 37.5 percent from the field and 58.6 percent from the line.

A few huge shots at the end of the game by Ginobili sealed the deal. But it wasn't until there were nine seconds left that Argentina realized what they had done. "I kept saying, 'Can you believe it?' to my teammates," Sanchez said. "I was afraid right until then that they would put Reggie Miller in the game. I know what he did against New York."

There were no New York miracles, however. Miller never even got the call. But he did huddle up his team after the historic loss.

Pierce relayed to the world what he said: "The world is against us. The fans, the referees. . . Everyone wanted us to fail but we can still achieve our goal. We can still win the gold."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NBA-powered U.S. team finally falls

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- The basketball universe changed forever Wednesday night. The most powerful nation in the history of the sport lost a game.

Argentina pulled off a victory that until recently was considered nearly impossible, defeating the United States 87-80 in the World Championships.

Argentina celebrates its historic achievement.

It was the first loss for a U.S. team in 59 games since the Americans began sending NBA players to international tournaments in 1992.

"I'm embarrassed to be on the team that took the first loss. We can still go out and win the gold medal, but we're still 'that' team,'' Paul Pierce said.

The defeat did not knock the Americans out of the tournament, but gave them a lower seed for the medal round. They will play Yugoslavia in the quarterfinals Thursday and could get another shot at Argentina over the weekend.

The players tried to put their best spin on the loss and said their goal remains the same -- winning the gold medal. But their downcast faces and comments before leaving the arena betrayed their true feelings.

"I'm embarrassed,'' Baron Davis said.

Added Antonio Davis: "I think it was very clear that that team understood what it would take to beat us. Their body language, the way they attacked, the way they played together. All that relates to winning.''

The game was witnessed by only a very few. The announced crowd was 5,623.

Argentina's victory was shocking enough, but what made it even more incredible was the manner in which it was accomplished.

The United States never led, was tied only once, trailed by as many as 20 and couldn't mount an adequate comeback down the stretch.

The Argentine players leaped and hugged each other as the final buzzer sounded, and a radio announcer looked to be on the verge of hysteria as he described the scene to his South American countrymen.

The American players stuck around and congratulated the victors, then gathered by themselves at center court.

"Reggie (Miller) brought us together,'' Pierce said. "He said the world is against us. The world, the stands, the refs are all against us. The only thing we can do is go out and play hard the rest of the games and get the gold medal.''

The Argentines also formed a tight huddle for several seconds before emerging with their hands raised to salute a small but vocal contingent of their fans in the lower seats at Conseco Fieldhouse.

"We still don't realize what we have done,'' center Fabricio Oberto said. "They said we would not win a game like this.''

This U.S. team had said it wanted to keep the unbeaten streak intact, but it also knew that the competition from around the world is getting better. Argentina was far from weak, controlling the game demonstrably for most of the 40 minutes.

"They were a lot better than we thought,'' Baron Davis said. "They were just beating us every which way.''

U.S. teams had two close calls in the past two years, defeating Lithuania by just two points at the 2000 Olympics and needing overtime to beat Brazil in the 2001 Goodwill Games.

Many of the best American players declined to participate in this tournament, and this version of Team USA looked quite vulnerable over the past week -- especially against nations that now have their own NBA players.

Argentina has two players, Pepe Sanchez and Ruben Wolkowyski, who spent a brief amount of time in the NBA. Another player, Emanuel Ginobili, will play for the San Antonio Spurs next season.

"We are human beings and we dream. To say we were going to beat them, I did not know. I knew we had one of the best chances,'' Sanchez said. "We came to play, we came to compete. As the game unfolded, we said 'Wow, we could really do this.' ''

The first sign that emotions were high came less than four minutes into the game, when Pierce was knocked down by Hugo Sconochini and then stuck his leg out in a deliberate attempt to trip him.

Pierce continued to go after Sconochini and was whistled for two holding fouls in the span of one second. That deprived the U.S. team of its most consistent offensive player, and they did not make a field goal for the next five minutes.

Jermaine O'Neal picked up a flagrant foul late in the first quarter for shoving Luis Scola to the ground after Scola rejected his dunk attempt, and the U.S. coaching staff ran onto the court at the end of the quarter to complain when Miller didn't get a call.

The Americans had trouble getting off decent shots, while Argentina used its crisp passing to repeatedly find players open under the basket for layups and dunks.

Andres Nocioni, who had a memorable dunk over Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan at the 1999 Olympic qualifier, unleashed another impressive jam over Ben Wallace early in the second quarter. He then stole the ensuing inbounds pass at midcourt and made two foul shots for a 41-23 lead.

A driving layup by Ginobili gave Argentina a 52-32 lead with 1:14 left in the half.

"They have better talent, they have better training, but I think we played better today. You gotta believe,'' Scola said.

The Americans got their deficit down to a dozen early in the third on a 3-pointer by Pierce, but their offensive troubles wouldn't go away. After Wolkowyski hit a 3-pointer from the corner to make it 62-47, Andre Miller sped into the lane and got inside for a layup that rolled in and out.

Pierce hit a 3-pointer to cut the deficit to 64-57, sparking the first chant of "U-S-A'' heard during the entire tournament. But the Argentine fans were back on their feet at the end of the quarter after Ginobili scored on a drive for a 68-60 lead entering the fourth.

The American fans fell silent -- aside from their gasps -- as Argentina twice got open for layups off inbounds passes with the shot clock about to expire. A 24-second violation and a turnover by the United States were answered by a pair of daring driving layups by Ginobili and Sconochini, upping the lead to 76-63 with 5:55 left.

O'Neal was incredulous when he was called for a loose ball foul with 4:23 left, and the American players had blank looks on their faces as they shuffled back to the bench during a timeout.

Baron Davis scored inside and then dunked (and hung onto the rim, showing off) off an Argentina turnover to make it 80-71 with 2:28 left. Another turnover was followed by four consecutive misses by the U.S. team -- two of them from right underneath the basket.

A charging foul against Michael Finley ended the next U.S. possession, and a blocking foul on Davis led to a pair of foul shots by Nocioni for an 83-73 lead with 1:10 left.

A missed foul shot by Miller, an off-target 3 by Davis and a turnover and foul by Pierce comprised the next three U.S. possessions.

They were finished. They had been exposed and defeated in their own backyard.

"We didn't want this to happen and we didn't think it would happen,'' Raef LaFrentz said, "but we can't necessarily say they took us by surprise.''

Re: Hurrah! Argentina beats USA Dream Team at Basketball at World championship with score 87-80!!!!!

> Was Karl placing the blame on the top tier NBA players that declined an
> invitation to Team USA? Could Argentina have beaten a team with Shaquille
> O'Neal, Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan? Probably not.

PROBABLY NOT FOX IN THE A-HOLE!

Re: Hurrah! Argentina beats USA Dream Team at Basketball at World championship with score 87-80!!!!!

> PROBABLY NOT FOX IN THE A-HOLE!
Well, I don't know... only Jesus knows... I agree that Shaquille
O'Neal, Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan let their teammates down by declining to play for the USA team...

Well, dude, don't call me names, cheer up, don't be a sore loser, heh heh...

Back
Top Bottom