Huey Lewis And The News

M

Malibu Steve

1bb5a0e1525f6e997b247e3567438b11.jpg

Huey_lewis_and_the_news.jpg

gallery_medium.jpg

huey-lewis-and-the-news.jpg

That's OK...it's not like I am keeping score or anything.

evennow 1 MrShoes 0

;)

Hahah - I am not up on my Huey Lewis trivia! I am however, happy to be stuck with you...under self imposed Morrissey quarantine.

i was 12 when i owned a huey lewis lp.

when i was 13, this song i could still listen too. at 14 i was depressed.

Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

In '87, Huey released Fore!, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip To Be Square". A song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity and the importance of trends. It's also a personal statement about the band itself.

i was 12 when i owned a huey lewis lp.

when i was 13, this song i could still listen too. at 14 i was depressed.

I didn't think it was possible to feel sad after hearing a Huey Lewis song.

Even with the song, "If This Is It", one comes away somewhat positive. Maybe that's just me!

I didn't think it was possible to feel sad after hearing a Huey Lewis song.
only if you didnt notice you were actually stuck in a dead-end.
small world was a remotely fine album for these carnival times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahah - I am not up on my Huey Lewis trivia! I am however, happy to be stuck with you...under self imposed Morrissey quarantine.

I was a big fan through the 80's. My dad took me and my sisters to see them in concert at an outdoor theater in the Wisconsin Dells and they put on a great show. Must have been around 1979 :openmouth:, or just at the beginning of the band.

What we have today is the death of musicianship, and the ability to sing a song with a strong, well pitched voice without the need for A-tune. Whether you were totally in to a band or not to see them live was quite the experience. I saw George Thorogood in concert up close and watched him play guitar behind his back with a big ole' smile on his face. Some things you never forget!

[QUOTE="evennow, post: 1987267770, member: 9676"

What we have today is the death of musicianship, and the ability to sing a song with a strong, well pitched voice without the need for A-tune. Whether you were totally in to a band or not to see them live was quite the experience.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed. We are in some dark times musically I feel. I guess that's why I have tolerated even the poorest of Morrissey's output as of late.

[QUOTE="evennow, post: 1987267770, member: 9676"

What we have today is the death of musicianship, and the ability to sing a song with a strong, well pitched voice without the need for A-tune. Whether you were totally in to a band or not to see them live was quite the experience.

Agreed. We are in some dark times musically I feel. I guess that's why I have tolerated even the poorest of Morrissey's output as of late.
[/QUOTE]

Well you are a better man than I! Tolerance you say....hmmm....not a strong suit of mine. I could never tolerate toleration! :)

Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

In '87, Huey released Fore!, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip To Be Square". A song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity and the importance of trends. It's also a personal statement about the band itself.

You're Patrick Bateman.

well, @MrShoes , thanks for bringing up huey lewis. listened to a couple more songs, which brought back some memories, nothing important, but despite the 80s having been mostly shit times, depression and all, i was able to reconnect to the energetic part of it. also remembered that i used to learn english with huey lewis songs coz they were written for teenagers learning english as a second language, werent they?

the strangest song of them all i have always considered this one ...

remembered that i used almost all lines from it in an english test on the horribly tedious "mourning becomes electra" by eugene o'neill and was criticized for my "simplistic" writing style afterwards.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Could the guy on the lower left be any more stoned?

huey-lewis-and-the-news.jpg
they all look a bit starry-eyed. the guy in the lower left has spent too much time in the sun to get the tan needed for this picture but it didnt help much. he is pale from sickness.

Huey Lewis and Madonna attend the 12th Annual American Music Awards on January 28, 1985 at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Ron Galella/Ron Galella Collection

661771458b1911b421d22bc6571cf510--music-awards.jpg

Back
Top Bottom