How would you feel if a cashier made you swipe your own groceries?

The Seeker of Good Songs

http://www.buzz.mn/?q=node/898

Some Muslim workers at Target refuse to handle pork
Submitted by Chris Serres, Star Tribune Staff Writer on Mon, 03/12/2007 - 5:21pm.
How would you feel if a cashier made you swipe your own groceries because of his/her religious beliefs?
If you have an opinion on the matter, feel free to call me at (612) 673-4308.
I'm a reporter who covers Target for the Star Tribune and the other day, I got a call from someone who said that an employee at the Target store downtown refused to run his bacon through a scanning machine. He was mighty upset, arguing that the cashier had "no right to work as a cashier at Target" if she wasn't prepared to swipe his groceries.
But he was a little vague on the details, so I decided to check it out myself. At the Target store on E. Lake Street, a cashier wearing a hijab looked uncomfortable when I showed up at the cash register with a frozen pepperoni pizza. She immediately called for help, and another employee rang up the pizza and placed it in the basket.
I asked her if it was because she was Muslim, and she nodded her head. "I can't even touch it," she said.
The E. Lake store has only has a few aisles of food. How do Muslim workers adapt in Super Targets where there are full-fledged grocery sections? And is anyone other than this caller bothered by this? Are there some Muslim workers at Target who feel they have to suppress their beliefs to avoid conflicts?

(check out the comments section after the article at the link)

If they were going to then refuse to touch pork products people were buying they should've have applied for the damn job in the first place.

I wouldn't care, though i think it's a bit silly. but any religion taken to this extent is silly IN MY OPINION.

There are vegetarians that wouldn't touch meat, though they wouldn't work there. even so, if they did, they would be forced to touch the meat and probably be threatened with termination if they didn't. Meat eaters don't have patience for vegetarians. PC work policies haven't gotten that far to include veggie/vegan rights!!

I'd be insulted if someone didn't want to touch my meat. I'd be like, "How dare you, that's my meat!!! You mean it's not good enough for you?!?!"

I'm just kidding, I'm just kidding...I don't eat meat. :p

we have self service at most supermarkets so what's the problem....;) no seriously, if muslims refuse to handle products because of religion the companies should put the muslim staff in areas that has no food. Companies should only employ staff that are capable of handling all kinds of goods .....What we need is a muslim to put this straight. Is this really the case? I always thought that muslims couldn't eat the meat concerned but they were ok to actually handle it. It's wrapped up at least. I apologise if i am wrong but i would like to know.:o

I wouldn't care, though i think it's a bit silly. but any religion taken to this extent is silly IN MY OPINION.

There are vegetarians that wouldn't touch meat, though they wouldn't work there. even so, if they did, they would be forced to touch the meat and probably be threatened with termination if they didn't. Meat eaters don't have patience for vegetarians. PC work policies haven't gotten that far to include veggie/vegan rights!!

I'd be insulted if someone didn't want to touch my meat. I'd be like, "How dare you, that's my meat!!! You mean it's not good enough for you?!?!"

I'm just kidding, I'm just kidding...I don't eat meat. :p

1......I agree with you.

2....I disagree......i have time for you. I am a meat eater oops...(although admitting to that on here probably means the end for me;))

:p

we have self service at most supermarkets so what's the problem....;) no seriously, if muslims refuse to handle products because of religion the companies should put the muslim staff in areas that has no food. Companies should only employ staff that are capable of handling all kinds of goods .....What we need is a muslim to put this straight. Is this really the case? I always thought that muslims couldn't eat the meat concerned but they were ok to actually handle it. It's wrapped up at least. I apologise if i am wrong but i would like to know.:o

I have also read stories of muslim taxi drivers refusing to accept passengers who are carrying alcohol - not open container, but packaged.
And also for refusing to accept passengers accompanied by "seeing eye dogs" and similar service animals.

If any other group or individual did such things there would be discrimination lawsuits being filed, but because of the fear of offending muslims there is becoming another set of standards.

It's getting silly, so very silly.:( It's not like non muslims are forcing the muslims to chow down on the pork or force alcohol down their throats. *sigh*

I have also read stories of muslim taxi drivers refusing to accept passengers who are carrying alcohol - not open container, but packaged.
And also for refusing to accept passengers accompanied by "seeing eye dogs" and similar service animals.

If any other group or individual did such things there would be discrimination lawsuits being filed, but because of the fear of offending muslims there is becoming another set of standards.

be careful, you might offend some posters here--one in particular--who for some reason blindly defend Islam because they feel it's the PC liberal thing to do ("if we are for a free Palestine, and are anti-war, we must defend Islam"). I never understood such simple, naive devotion.

I agree with you. My aunt had her dog killed by muslim neighbors. :( a poster here attacked me for saying it and he's been mean to me ever since. Unfortunately, I haven't been the same here ever since--very resentful and on edge whenever I come here. Online bullying is real :mad:

be careful, you might offend some posters here--one in particular--who for some reason blindly defend Islam because they feel it's the PC liberal thing to do ("if we are for a free Palestine, and are anti-war, we must defend Islam"). I never understood such simple, naive devotion.

I agree with you. My aunt had her dog killed by muslim neighbors. :( a poster here attacked me for saying it and he's been mean to me ever since. Unfortunately, I haven't been the same here ever since--very resentful and on edge whenever I come here. Online bullying is real :mad:

Not getting into a religious argument, coz NO ONE EVER . WINS.....period.....but why would someone blindly defend something unless it was Morrissey for he can do no wrong:D Sorry to joke but i personally feel that tolerance is needed from bost sides from any religion.
I am so sorry to hear of your awful problems. I feel for you, i really do. I just wanted to say GIVE ME 10 MINS IN A ROOM WITH ANY BULLIES....GRR:mad:

Not getting into a religious argument, coz NO ONE EVER . WINS.....period.....but why would someone blindly defend something unless it was Morrissey for he can do no wrong:D Sorry to joke but i personally feel that tolerance is needed from bost sides from any religion.
I am so sorry to hear of your awful problems. I feel for you, i really do. I just wanted to say GIVE ME 10 MINS IN A ROOM WITH ANY BULLIES....GRR:mad:

well, he labeled me a hater...and you know, we must attack the haters!!! I did say i hate Islam (i was angry!!). but i would never get such a response if i said I hate Christianity. It's ok to hate Christianity, but not Islam. :confused:

I'm atheist either way..which is silly i need to say to get off the hook. I'm not a religious bigot!! I just happen to be for animal rights, women's rights, infidel rights, etc.

Last edited:
well, he labeled me a hater...and you know, we must attack the haters!!! I did say i hate Islam. but i would never get such a response if i said I hate Christianity. It's ok to hate Christianity, but not Islam. :confused:

I'm atheist either way..which is silly i need to say to get off the hook. I'm not a religious bigot!! I just happen to be for animal rights, women's rights, etc.

I don't believe in religion, i feel that more people have died due to religion. It is obscene. I don't hate islam or christianity. I just think that the people who kill for the sake of religion will not get to their heaven. (i personally don't think there is a heaven:o)

Stupid question alert....ahem...Am i an atheist? :o

I don't believe in religion, i feel that more people have died due to religion. It is obscene. I don't hate islam or christianity. I just think that the people who kill for the sake of religion will not get to their heaven. (i personally don't think there is a heaven:o)

Stupid question alert....ahem...Am i an atheist? :o

if you don't believe in a god, or a surpeme being of some kind, and don't follow a religious/spiritual belief system, you are an atheist.

Cheers for the info, i would have to say that i am an atheist then:)

I haven't been the same here ever since--very resentful and on edge whenever I come here. Online bullying is real :mad:

That statement is completely true. I'm a bit on edge on here most times, it does seem like some people have been poisoned against me and I am widely hated, and the bullying by Robby is extreme. I've studied his patterns, I know how he works. But no one cares or believes me. Maybe because people knew who Robby was before they knew me. :rolleyes:

That statement is completely true. I'm a bit on edge on here most times, it does seem like some people have been poisoned against me and I am widely hated, and the bullying by Robby is extreme. I've studied his patterns, I know how he works. But no one cares or believes me. Maybe because people knew who Robby was before they knew me. :rolleyes:

i believe you and i notice it too. Robby was here from the start and for many months he was nice to everyone and very chilled. so he still has the support of many decent people here. so he gets away with it. he's done and said things that got other people banned.

i believe you and i notice it too. Robby was here from the start and for many months he was nice to everyone and very chilled. so he still has the support of many decent people here. so he gets away with it. he's done and said things that got other people banned.

That's because you are smart, unbiased, nice, and observant. I figure Robby is afraid of the truth you have to say just like he's afraid of me and Viva Hate if he needs to have you on ignore, flaunt that fact, and post pics of your blocked posts. ;)

Back
Top Bottom