"How to treat Morrissey? Stop listening to him" by Stewart Lee - The Guardian

Stewart Lee weighs in on Moz

How to treat Morrissey? Stop listening to him - The Guardian
By Stewart Lee
It’s hard when our idols disappoint us. But as it happened, my break from the former Smiths frontman came easily…

43445_david_foldvari_guardian.jpg

Illustration by David Foldvari.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy shit-balls champ. What are you on about? You’re seriously posting a meme from the internet and suggesting that nobody is talking about it? EVERYBODY’s been f***ing talking about that stack for the past 70 some years. ...and despite the readily available facts concerning its construction, you’re putting it forth as a proof of some conspiracy and justification for holocaust denial? Perfect. I’d except no less from someone of your limited cognitive capacity.

For the record, my best friend’s entire family was nearly wiped out in those ovens and my grandfather saw the aftermath with his own eyes. He NEVER recovered from it.

Just an absolutely, wilfully ignorant sack of shit, aren’t you, son? Zip it with the tinfoil-hat shit, goof.

How exactly are you going to get him to 'zip it?' Are you going to hit him with a type-by? Or like Liam Neeson in 'Taken' do you possess a certain set of skills that make you a nightmare for someone like Urbanus? :lbf: Otherwise I'm not sure your bullish tough-guy rhetoric will have much effect on him, he's impervious to that sort of thing.

I loathe Tommy Robinson. He isn’t very bright, he’s a gobshite and precisely what you might expect if a football hooligan started to dabble in politics.

'Empire Johnny', 'Tory Boy Barleycorn' has nothing against bigots, just give him an eloquent bigot, FFS! Not some football hooligan pleb! There's no mask that way, there are no layers of rhetoric to hide behind, everything's out in the open. Johnny needs cover!

Give him Jacob Rees-Mogg. Give him an accent where the speaker barely moves their lips, give him somebody with an Oxford and Eton education. If he showed his support for Tommy Robinson, Barleycorn might have to answer questions! Can't be having that, can't give the game away, it's worked too well up to now.

This way Barleycorn can spit on the plebs while keeping his own bigotry airtight. It's a carefully crafted mask which took years, decades, to mold and he's not going to let it be destroyed at this late stage of his online career. Bravo, Johnny! Forever keeping up appearances while looking out for numero uno. :thumb::thumb:

'Empire Johnny', 'Tory Boy Barleycorn' has nothing against bigots, just give him an eloquent bigot, FFS! Not some football hooligan pleb! There's no mask that way, there are no layers of rhetoric to hide behind, everything's out in the open. Johnny needs cover!

Give him Jacob Rees-Mogg. Give him an accent where the speaker barely moves their lips, give him somebody with an Oxford and Eton education. If he showed his support for Tommy Robinson, Barleycorn might have to answer questions! Can't be having that, can't give the game away, it's worked too well up to now.

This way Barleycorn can spit on the plebs while keeping his own bigotry airtight. It's a carefully crafted mask which took years, decades, to mold and he's not going to let it be destroyed at this late stage of his online career. Bravo, Johnny! Forever keeping up appearances while looking out for numero uno. :thumb::thumb:

I like intelligent people, B, whatever their political beliefs. I doubt we’d get on.

For example, when you hear about the proliferation of Muslim rape gangs in England who prey on white girls, you keep it to yourself.

Unless you're a big old racist, then you think:

a) I hate it when white people rape children because that's boring, but Muslims doing that, yay! I'll go on and on about that!

b) I hate it when brown children get raped, because that's not outrageous, but WHITE GIRLS? Children getting raped is bad when they're white! Also, I'll say the rapes are themselves racist based on a quote from ONE of the rapists.

OK I've slept on it and realised - after all the deadly earnest replies - we've all been the subject of an elaborate April fool's-type joke. The correct answer to the original article is:

You cannot ignore Moz, he'll only get closer.

Damn you, Stewart Lee!

They'll keep writing those pieces until one of the following would occur:

1) Morrissey's career be a thing of the past.

2) Morrissey comes out to the media and disowns his personal views, while adopting the most redical left views as an olive branch.

This is how the delusional fascist left operates; democracy for them is "allowing" the public to choose between left, leftier and progressive left. How generous.
If they could, they would have arrested all people outside these boundaries.

And if we diconstruct the left branches of today, at the heart all are just a ticking bomb that awaits to destroy everything the West presents. There's no other explanation behind their conflicting alliance with Islam. It's an oxymoron on paper.

Islam hates liberalism, it hates other religions, it hates other culutures, it hates democracy, it hates feminism, it hates equality, it hates education, it hates individualism.

Inherently, Islam despises everything that comes out of a thinking mind.

Never has the left ever owned up to this. They always talk of an Islam which doesn't exist in real life. They are the real racists, because they invest all the energy in the world to hide the fact that immigrants are fleeing the Middle East and Africa because of Islam.

It's Islam that puts Muslims in hell. Not Trump, not silly alt-right.

Muslims try to save themselves from the world shaped by Islam.
No matter what type or "flavor" it is, Islam destroys, not builds.

One doesn't even need to be convinced by opinion articles. You only need to open Geography books and read dry news about each Muslim country every single day.
As of today, there are 50+ Muslim countries and none offer the ideal flowery image, that the left media of UK/ Europe/U.S. manipulatively sell to the sleepy public.

The left hails a religion which they've never practiced, and the one which is solely responsible for the disastrous catastrophy felt outside the West.

Spot on. Exactly right.

Unless you're a big old racist, then you think:

a) I hate it when white people rape children because that's boring, but Muslims doing that, yay! I'll go on and on about that!

b) I hate it when brown children get raped, because that's not outrageous, but WHITE GIRLS? Children getting raped is bad when they're white! Also, I'll say the rapes are themselves racist based on a quote from ONE of the rapists.

The police and the authorities tend to nick white paedophiles and lock them up.

As we know from public inquiries the police and authorities went out of their way to protect Islamic rape gangs, even accusing parents who complained of racism and actually threatening them with arrest rather than the rapist paedophiles.

I think that might have ticked a few people off, don’t you?

what tedious self-indulgent writing
I think this one is possibly the best of the bunch - at least it attempts some sort of balance and it's amusingly written - but I am heartily sick of these hand-wringing, self righteous articles.

I like intelligent people, B, whatever their political beliefs. I doubt we’d get on.

I know, Johnny. If this were 75 years ago Robinson would have been sent out onto the battlefield to die instead of causing havoc in front of courthouses with his camera phone as he does today. Then he'd neither be seen nor heard. Intelligent people, like your dear old Blighty political heroes, starting world wars and sending the plebs to death, would have seen to that. The good old days. Best place for him, wouldn't it be?

At least he's out of the way for a while so the London intelligentsia, which includes Stewart Lee, can get back to their riveting 'Richard "the Hamster" Hammond', 'pear cidar made from 100% pears' type of social commentary, undisturbed. He's so irreverent! And how about that latest Marina Hyde article? How we all laughed at the gammons which only made them redder. Tommy Robinson wouldn't get any of that. It's the difference between him and the 'intelligent' people whom you idolise and wish would notice you and respect you back.

If he could only comprehend Stewart Lee's autofictional stand-up then he could do whatever he wants in front of courthouses with his camera phone, as far as I'm concerned. Look at Jeremy Thorpe for example, when you're eloquent and intellectually nimble you can get away with attempted murder. Thorpe could have brought a full camera crew in front of a courthouse to film himself pinning and mounting a grooming gang member on the ground outside and I'd have looked the other way, to be perfectly honest. Special allowances are made for the intelligent among us. They simply roll their r's so beautifully.

But since Yaxley-Lennon's merely a thick ol' Paddy with a potato IQ he can rot away in his cell until he learns his place in society and realises his social class prevents him from doing certain things. If he would have just behaved himself he could be bare-chested over in Russia right now, sunburned, downing cans of Russia's finest lager, getting ready to chant for the Afro-English side to crush the Croats/Serbs on Wednesday. Instead of that, unlike football, Tommy's not coming home: he's staying in clink where he can ruminate - if he can manage that - on what a nuisance he's been to his social betters.

After which he can finally f*** off back to his tanning salon and allow the intelligent people to get back to destroying Britain in peace. They know what's best for everyone else. And even if they don't, at least they know how to say 'floccinaucinihilipilification'.

Last edited:
What I don't understand is people with their own personal agendas who profess a hatred for Morrissey yet unable to leave this site. Strange.
Because...... Because.... We must... :drama:

Without us, you would be deeply bored to celebrate the morrisey cult. :whip:

I think this one is possibly the best of the bunch - at least it attempts some sort of balance and it's amusingly written - but I am heartily sick of these hand-wringing, self righteous articles.
i didn't find it amusing though. it's attempts at being amusing (the whole john and paul thing, for example) were what I found tedious. like an episode of friends: only amusing if you like the characters and are familiar with them and feel like you're in on their jokes. but viewed dryly and without any affinity for the personalities of the characters the jokes become inane, and you're just left with a sense of "really? you're wasting my time with this?"

i didn't find it amusing though. it's attempts at being amusing (the whole john and paul thing, for example) were what I found tedious. like an episode of friends: only amusing if you like the characters and are familiar with them and feel like you're in on their jokes. but viewed dryly and without any affinity for the personalities of the characters the jokes become inane, and you're just left with a sense of "really? you're wasting my time with this?"
Well, to be fair, it's not an article (or newspaper) I would have sought out or bothered to read, had it not been flagged up on here. And I agree, the John Lennon bit was a bit lame. I just thought it showed some glimmer of wit and rather less virtuous whining than some of the other pieces we've had lately.

I don't find this article of much interest simply because Mr. Lee doesn't explain himself very well.
He states:
"But somehow, illogically and sentimentally, I held Morrissey to different standards." with no real furthering of why - which was probably necessary to make the point especially when later emoting:
"And I couldn’t imagine any circumstances under which I would ever listen to him again."
Secondly, when saying:
"I’ve got vintage psychedelic vinyl by actual murderers, and books of poetry by antisemites and paedophiles, who are hard to write out of literary history. And the increasingly reactionary comments made by Mark E Smith in his latter years will not tempt me to part with even the most unnecessary Fall compilation."
He is just being contrarian here. He is tailoring his argument to one topic without being consistent. Is he really saying that Morrissey's recent behaviour is somehow far worse and needs his music to go to a charity shop over and above that of things created by murderers, antisemites or paedophiles?
A very poor argument especially as it argues against itself.
I think anyone who is truly dedicated to editing out frontmen/band members/artists who somehow now provoke in this day and age should be thorough and consistent in their belief system and go through every single contributing person to a piece of art/music and measure people's actions against their moral compass and delete accordingly en masse. Being selective about it makes you look disingenuous and hypocritical (especially when you're not clear about why).
If you are dedicated to that level of 'policing' to make yourself feel comfortable listening to music - you are going to be extremely busy indeed.
Regards,
FWD.

Thank you, FWD.

Once again you are the voice of reason, reflection and sense. I know that most fear for the future of this site, largely thanks to morons like Skinny, but you always remind the (relatively) sane ones who visit here that there are some members who always offer interesting, valuable and engaging insight.

Thanks for all of your contributions.

I know, Johnny. If this were 75 years ago Robinson would have been sent out onto the battlefield to die instead of causing havoc in front of courthouses with his camera phone as he does today. Then he'd neither be seen nor heard. Intelligent people, like your dear old Blighty political heroes, starting world wars and sending the plebs to death, would have seen to that. The good old days. Best place for him, wouldn't it be?

At least he's out of the way for a while so the London intelligentsia, which includes Stewart Lee, can get back to their riveting 'Richard "the Hamster" Hammond', 'pear cidar made from 100% pears' type of social commentary, undisturbed. He's so irreverent! And how about that latest Marina Hyde article? How we all laughed at the gammons which only made them redder. Tommy Robinson wouldn't get any of that. It's the difference between him and the 'intelligent' people whom you idolise and wish would notice you and respect you back.

If he could only comprehend Stewart Lee's autofictional stand-up then he could do whatever he wants in front of courthouses with his camera phone, as far as I'm concerned. Look at Jeremy Thorpe for example, when you're eloquent and intellectually nimble you can get away with attempted murder. Thorpe could have brought a full camera crew in front of a courthouse to film himself pinning and mounting a grooming gang member on the ground outside and I'd have looked the other way, to be perfectly honest. Special allowances are made for the intelligent among us. They simply roll their r's so beautifully.

But since Yaxley-Lennon's merely a thick ol' Paddy with a potato IQ he can rot away in his cell until he learns his place in society and realises his social class prevents him from doing certain things. If he would have just behaved himself he could be bare-chested over in Russia right now, sunburned, downing cans of Russia's finest lager, getting ready to chant for the Afro-English side to crush the Croats/Serbs on Wednesday. Instead of that, unlike football, Tommy's not coming home: he's staying in clink where he can ruminate - if he can manage that - on what a nuisance he's been to his social betters.

After which he can finally f*** off back to his tanning salon and allow the intelligent people to get back to destroying Britain in peace. They know what's best for everyone else. And even if they don't, at least they know how to say 'floccinaucinihilipilification'.

Anyone?

I really enjoyed this piece. It was funny and quite touching. I don’t agree with Lee’s solution, but that’s fine. I’ll keep attending his stand-up shows, buying his books and, if he gets another commission (I hope he does), watching him on television.

If anything, Morrissey’s recent pronouncements have created an unfolding spectacle from which I can’t look away, and the songs are (amongst many other things) an essential backdrop to that spectacle. Seeing him hack away at the structures that have supported him for so long in an attempt, it seems to me, to isolate himself from any perceived socio-political norms (he’s neither right, nor left, nor centrist) has inspired a kind of shell-shocked admiration. What’s more, I’m questioning things I’d previously accepted without challenge. I’m not arriving at the same conclusions as Morrissey (or Anne Marie Waters or Tommy Robinson) but where previously I’d have ridiculed, demonised and called “Racist!”, I’m now reaching a more nuanced position.

Personally, I don’t think this is a bad thing. It certainly isn’t something I’m struggling with.

This was quite a measured article. More about growing up than Morrissey. Nevertheless, I’d love to know where the charity shops are where Lee and the likes are allegedly dumping their short trousers and Morrissey collections. I need some short shorts in this weather.

Did Morrissey ever make a statement about Paul Nuttall of the ukips?
I'm not sure that Morrissey likes Nigel Farage as much as he did? I don't know about Paul Nuttall. Paul doesn't like Anne Marie Waters does he? Morrissey might not like Paul Nuttall because Morrissey likes and supports Anne Marie Waters.

This was taken from an online article: Morrissey has weighed in on the recent UKIP leadership contest, implying that the contest was “rigged” against failed far-right candidate Anne Marie Waters, as The Quietus report.

In a live session with BBC Radio 6 Music, Morrissey told the audience, “I was very surprised the other day, it was very interesting for me to see Anne Marie Waters become the head of UKIP. Oh no, sorry, she didn’t, the voting was rigged. I forgot.”

Following silence from the audience, Morrissey added: “You didn’t get it, did you? You obviously don’t read the news.”

Anne Marie Waters lost her leadership bid to new UKIP leader Henry Bolton. She first made a name for herself as the co-founder of Pegida UK (Patriotic Europeans Against the Islamisation of the West), having launched the far-right, anti-Islam organisation with Paul Weston and Tommy Robinson in 2016. She is also the founder of Sharia Watch UK.

Anne Marie Waters stood as UKIP’s candidate for the Lewisham East constituency at the 2015 general election and again in 2017; in the case of the latter she was deselected when party leader Paul Nuttall described her views as “way above and beyond party policy”.

After losing the recent UKIP leadership election to Henry Bolton, Waters tweeted: “Today: Jihad – 1. Truth – 0”.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom