"How to treat Morrissey? Stop listening to him" by Stewart Lee - The Guardian

Stewart Lee weighs in on Moz

How to treat Morrissey? Stop listening to him - The Guardian
By Stewart Lee
It’s hard when our idols disappoint us. But as it happened, my break from the former Smiths frontman came easily…

43445_david_foldvari_guardian.jpg

Illustration by David Foldvari.

Last edited by a moderator:
Among whites in the UK it has become socially unacceptable to say anything, ever, that may even potentially tarnish the image of non-whites.

All such criticism, in any context, is unacceptable - and you will be ostracised for doing so.

That is my point. So, for example, if you mention something that is true but socially unacceptable then, by social law, you will illogically be called a racist.
You can call a murderer a murderer, a rapist a rapist and an asshole an asshole, without bringing skin colour or ethnicity in as a factor. A piece of shit is a piece of shit, regardless of ethnicity, creed or orientation. The use of such blanket terms to describe an individual or group of individuals is the very definition of “racism”. You can do better. ...and you know it. Smarten the f*** up.

It's mostly British people that are calling him racist. We know what it means in the US. Someone who has three men who are from Mexican and Columbian descent isn't racist where I come from.
Sadly many British people have become very stupid in recent years.

I blame the mass/social media.

People have become hysterically minded. The last time we were like this was during the witch trials circa 1700.

I don't find this article of much interest simply because Mr. Lee doesn't explain himself very well.
He states:
"But somehow, illogically and sentimentally, I held Morrissey to different standards." with no real furthering of why - which was probably necessary to make the point especially when later emoting:
"And I couldn’t imagine any circumstances under which I would ever listen to him again."
Secondly, when saying:
"I’ve got vintage psychedelic vinyl by actual murderers, and books of poetry by antisemites and paedophiles, who are hard to write out of literary history. And the increasingly reactionary comments made by Mark E Smith in his latter years will not tempt me to part with even the most unnecessary Fall compilation."
He is just being contrarian here. He is tailoring his argument to one topic without being consistent. Is he really saying that Morrissey's recent behaviour is somehow far worse and needs his music to go to a charity shop over and above that of things created by murderers, antisemites or paedophiles?
A very poor argument especially as it argues against itself.
I think anyone who is truly dedicated to editing out frontmen/band members/artists who somehow now provoke in this day and age should be thorough and consistent in their belief system and go through every single contributing person to a piece of art/music and measure people's actions against their moral compass and delete accordingly en masse. Being selective about it makes you look disingenuous and hypocritical (especially when you're not clear about why).
If you are dedicated to that level of 'policing' to make yourself feel comfortable listening to music - you are going to be extremely busy indeed.
Regards,
FWD.

I don't find this article of much interest simply because Mr. Lee doesn't explain himself very well.
He states:
"But somehow, illogically and sentimentally, I held Morrissey to different standards." with no real furthering of why - which was probably necessary to make the point especially when later emoting:
"And I couldn’t imagine any circumstances under which I would ever listen to him again."
Secondly, when saying:
"I’ve got vintage psychedelic vinyl by actual murderers, and books of poetry by antisemites and paedophiles, who are hard to write out of literary history. And the increasingly reactionary comments made by Mark E Smith in his latter years will not tempt me to part with even the most unnecessary Fall compilation."
He is just being contrarian here. He is tailoring his argument to one topic without being consistent. Is he really saying that Morrissey's recent behaviour is somehow far worse and needs his music to go to a charity shop over and above that of things created by murderers, antisemites or paedophiles?
A very poor argument especially as it argues against itself.
I think anyone who is truly dedicated to editing out frontmen/band members/artists who somehow now provoke in this day and age should be thorough and consistent in their belief system and go through every single contributing person to a piece of art/music and measure people's actions against their moral compass and delete accordingly en masse. Being selective about it makes you look disingenuous and hypocritical (especially when you're not clear about why).
If you are dedicated to that level of 'policing' to make yourself feel comfortable listening to music - you are going to be extremely busy indeed.
Regards,
FWD.
Yeh, he no write good and on second read it was even worse, I spose he just wanted to get in on the bandwagon, I get that, but throwing frakkin records away?
He’s just saying that, I call bullshit

I was told about this today:

auschwitz_fake_chimney.png

It seems this is something we are not allowed to talk about just like Moz isn't allowed to speak his mind anymore.

It seems this is something we are not allowed to talk about just like Moz isn't allowed to speak his mind anymore.
Holy shit-balls champ. What are you on about? You’re seriously posting a meme from the internet and suggesting that nobody is talking about it? EVERYBODY’s been f***ing talking about that stack for the past 70 some years. ...and despite the readily available facts concerning its construction, you’re putting it forth as a proof of some conspiracy and justification for holocaust denial? Perfect. I’d except no less from someone of your limited cognitive capacity.

For the record, my best friend’s entire family was nearly wiped out in those ovens and my grandfather saw the aftermath with his own eyes. He NEVER recovered from it.

Just an absolutely, wilfully ignorant sack of shit, aren’t you, son? Zip it with the tinfoil-hat shit, goof.

I get that but its still weirdly lazy to publish over 8 comment pieces about him in the same paper over a short period of time. What do these editors do all day - sit there yawning anyone got another piece about Morrissey... obviously we are all obsessed about him on this forum but at least they should wait till something newsorthy happens.

They'll keep writing those pieces until one of the following would occur:

1) Morrissey's career be a thing of the past.

2) Morrissey comes out to the media and disowns his personal views, while adopting the most redical left views as an olive branch.

This is how the delusional fascist left operates; democracy for them is "allowing" the public to choose between left, leftier and progressive left. How generous.
If they could, they would have arrested all people outside these boundaries.

And if we diconstruct the left branches of today, at the heart all are just a ticking bomb that awaits to destroy everything the West presents. There's no other explanation behind their conflicting alliance with Islam. It's an oxymoron on paper.

Islam hates liberalism, it hates other religions, it hates other culutures, it hates democracy, it hates feminism, it hates equality, it hates education, it hates individualism.

Inherently, Islam despises everything that comes out of a thinking mind.

Never has the left ever owned up to this. They always talk of an Islam which doesn't exist in real life. They are the real racists, because they invest all the energy in the world to hide the fact that immigrants are fleeing the Middle East and Africa because of Islam.

It's Islam that puts Muslims in hell. Not Trump, not silly alt-right.

Muslims try to save themselves from the world shaped by Islam.
No matter what type or "flavor" it is, Islam destroys, not builds.

One doesn't even need to be convinced by opinion articles. You only need to open Geography books and read dry news about each Muslim country every single day.
As of today, there are 50+ Muslim countries and none offer the ideal flowery image, that the left media of UK/ Europe/U.S. manipulatively sell to the sleepy public.

The left hails a religion which they've never practiced, and the one which is solely responsible for the disastrous catastrophy felt outside the West.

Holy shit-balls champ. What are you on about? You’re seriously posting a meme from the internet and suggesting that nobody is talking about it? EVERYBODY’s been f***ing talking about that stack for the past 70 some years. ...and despite the readily available facts concerning its construction, you’re putting it forth as a proof of some conspiracy and justification for holocaust denial? Perfect. I’d except no less from someone of your limited cognitive capacity.

For the record, my best friend’s entire family was nearly wiped out in those ovens and my grandfather saw the aftermath with his own eyes. He NEVER recovered from it.

Just an absolutely, wilfully ignorant sack of shit, aren’t you, son? Zip it with the tinfoil-hat shit, goof.
Just here to stir things up as you know to prove a point.

Your point being?

Sources?

Did I claim that no one died?

Why so angry if you have all the proof and that?

That chimney has no opening under it.

Don't shoot the messenger!

Why is your IP in Israel and why does it come from their cyber room?

You people really are quick and have fantastic computer software to find every single post but so do I.

Muslims and jews to have a real war so we can pick a winner and move on like seriously.

We're tired of being in the middle of their shit so just give them space and weapons and allow them to decide who is the best.

What a shame if they killed each other off....

I love how the rabid right is always somehow the victim in a world of evermore gross inequity of wealth, state tyranny, ethnic violence & ecological destruction :rolleyes:
He went from USA to China and got infected by the commie virus and his dad is spinning in the grave.

NOT MY SON NOT MYYYYYYY SOOOOOOOOOOON.

GO HOME ROBBY

Very funny to post that in my name.

Like ha ha ha until ha ha ha becomes no no no.

I love how the rabid right is always somehow the victim in a world of evermore gross inequity of wealth, state tyranny, ethnic violence & ecological destruction :rolleyes:
No, It's Muslims that are the victims. But why should you care, really?
For the left, it's natural that Muslims kill Muslims, and that Islam is a prison for Muslims.

Why should these daily atrocities be of any concern? It's not like Muslims are capable or worthy of better life, right? It's in their nature, so we should let them be, multiculturalism and all.

Yes, better keep that shiny image intact, while prepering the iconic faux sadness the next time a real tragedy occurs: white person "murdering" Muslims via an interview or a tweet.

He went from USA to China and got infected by the commie virus and his dad is spinning in the grave.

NOT MY SON NOT MYYYYYYY SOOOOOOOOOOON.

GO HOME ROBBY
My father was an engineer, a great one or some I’m told and international capitalism allowed him to travel the world, though he saw much less of it then I have cuz he was just working another job site every time & even he before the end was well aware that he was just another wage slave, just well paid one. As for China and grave spinning, it’s Mao who’d be doing that if they let him in his Masoleum, for China has now the makings of the worst of everything I mentioned, klepto-capitalism supported by an all powerful state, environmental destruction on a scale you cannot believe unless you’ve seen it with your own eyes as I have, and the makings of real rebellion in a number of areas that poor Han Chinese are forcibly moved into for business interests while displacing non Han Chinese people, particularly Muslims and Tibetans. To be honest, it’s sort of thing I bet scum like Trump’s wet dream, he’s jealous of China’s current dictator, XJP...

Last edited:
I like Stewart Lee. I’ve seen him several times and met him once. He seems to be a genuinely nice bloke, although I met him before he made his first million. I think he’s the best standup in the UK by some distance and has been for at least ten years. Our politics are very far apart.

I loathe Tommy Robinson. He isn’t very bright, he’s a gobshite and precisely what you might expect if a football hooligan started to dabble in politics. He is in prison because he broke the conditions of a suspended sentence he previously received. He live streamed himself approaching and engaging with men arriving in court to receive their sentence. In doing so he jeopardised not only that trial but another connected trial which is scheduled to begin later this year. He was arrested, he pled guilty, and he received ten months, plus the three months carried over from his suspended sentence. There is no question he deserved his fate. In no legal jurisdiction in the world can you do what Robinson did and expect to get away with it. You can despise the criminal and their actions, but you cannot interfere with the legal process.

I think Lee’s article is very well judged. It reads of sadness, not anger. It has the tone of the resigned regret and shrug of the shoulders you have when you finally realise someone you have loved won’t be coming back, and how the best way to deal with it initially at least is to pack up the pictures, and their remaining possessions and bits and pieces in a box and put them in the attic out of the way.

What is doesn’t do is the thing we have seen far too much of here recently. It doesn’t suggest Morrissey’s perfectly valid, legal, if controversial, opinions should be silenced.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom