"How to treat Morrissey? Stop listening to him" by Stewart Lee - The Guardian

Stewart Lee weighs in on Moz

How to treat Morrissey? Stop listening to him - The Guardian
By Stewart Lee
It’s hard when our idols disappoint us. But as it happened, my break from the former Smiths frontman came easily…

43445_david_foldvari_guardian.jpg

Illustration by David Foldvari.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stewart Lee is a bit high brow for some of the morons on here. They're never going to get it.
High brow/ twat. Great in ‘ fist of fun ‘ but sadly lacking afterwards. Pretentious to say the very very least. However not disagreeing with his thoughts on Moz

I don't care who stops or starts listening to Moz. Jesus they do anything for a headline these days.

Who in F is Stewart Lee? Why doesnt the Guardina simply go and take 'opinions' at the mosque? I mean WTF Stewart Lee?:confused:
I'm going to stop reading "The Guardian" not that I read it anyway. I'm going to continue to support Morrissey! I don't care what Stewart Lee says.

I wish that Morrissey was able to sue "The Guardian" and maybe other British newspapers if they print false information about him. I don't like how the mainstream media treats him. Some of the alternative media isn't good either.

I read this about Morrissey. His friends refer to him as "Morrissey" and he dislikes the nickname "Moz", telling one interviewer that "it's like something you'd squirt on the kitchen floor."

He likes to be called "Morrissey" not the other names like: Moz, Mozza, Mozzer, the "Pope of Mope", and the Mozfather.

People also call him "Uncle Steve" and other names on here but he doesn't like to go by his first name Steven.

I don't care who stops or starts listening to Moz. Jesus they do anything for a headline these days.

Lee has a weekly column in the Observer/Guardian so he's going to get a headline whatever he writes. He doesn't need to chase cheap clickbait.

An honest, funny, well written article. I wonder when the penny will finally drop for the sycophants? It’s over in the UK. He sold only 400 tickets in Scotland, four hundred! His other dates had disastrous sales too. A once loyal fan base have simply heard enough of his ill judged opinions.

I can see two distinct (possibly three) types of still loyal fans. First the non political people, for whom the opinions of the artist is of little consequence. Then there is the sycophant, who will rationalise as far as they possibly can, his outpourings, no matter how unpalatable. Then that third type, hard to distinguish from the sycophant at times. The ones who have been taken in by the alt.right garbage. They’re the ones to watch out for.

I’ve seen on social media, a small handful of fans who come out with “I’ve looked into Tommy Robinson...it’s all lies about him...give him a listen”. To these poor souls, who don’t yet understand that extremists do tend to sugar coats their vile messages, I offer this. Morrissey hasn’t come out in support of Mr Robinson’s views. He has, misguided in my humble opinion, sympathised with his situation. This is because he supports free speech, and is under the misapprehension that this is why little Tommy is in prison. It isn’t, he is there for breaking the laws we have to uphold our judicial system.

Morrissey may well respond soon to distance himself from Tommy Robinson’s views, and reaffirm his comment was about freedom of speech. It will be an interesting sight to see all those sudden converts to Robinson doing a two footed backwards shuffle, with their tail between their legs. Think on.

In the meantime. Continue to unleash the attack dogs on Dave Haslam, Tim Booth, and now Stewart Lee. Carry On...
How do you know that about the ticket sales?

Earlier this year Morrissey had sold out shows in London. Maybe in the future Morrissey should just do shows in London and forget about the rest of the UK (if what you say is true).

I don't like social bullying or public harassment. I don't like people stoned and ashamed for their views. I don't like military tactics disguised as religions because things like this will be more and more frequent in formerly western and civilized places of the world. I don't like these methods because I know the fools who justify them will regret their stupidity in the future, when it will be too late for tears.

There is some irony wrapped up there somewhere.

The righteous liberal bandwagon that skinny adores so much

What I don't understand is people with their own personal agendas who profess a hatred for Morrissey yet unable to leave this site. Strange.

It's because we believe that we're more true to what he was than he is. He was always good and bad, but we felt that his real soul was in the good part. He has betrayed himself by nurturing the bad and letting the good wither, but we won't betray him by going along with him.

The thing is for most of us the man and the music were very much linked. I'm in the Stewart Lee camp, most of my Moz collection is going, will probably get shot this week if I have time.

Silly man. When you listen to music, I don't think about the individual...you think about how the music touches or moves you in that moment. If people had this attitude, we'd have empty record collections. Elvis Costello called Ray Charles a nigga once. Do we still listen to Elvis? Yep. Led Zep used to shove fish up groupies in drunken hotel antics. Bowie probably screwed under-age groupies. Most bands did. Screaming Jay Hawkins is probably the worst dad in the world. Lou Reed was a cantankerous arsehole most of his life. You can go on for ever.

Silly man. When you listen to music, I don't think about the individual...you think about how the music touches or moves you in that moment. If people had this attitude, we'd have empty record collections. Elvis Costello called Ray Charles a nigga once. Do we still listen to Elvis? Yep. Led Zep used to shove fish up groupies in drunken hotel antics. Bowie probably screwed under-age groupies. Most bands did. Screaming Jay Hawkins is probably the worst dad in the world. Lou Reed was a cantankerous arsehole most of his life. You can go on for ever.

Most of those things happened decades ago. Morrissey's faux pas are current and ongoing.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom