How successful is Morrissey?

Most of my friends say the have never heard of Morrissey (cretins, i know!)
I went to the pub the other night. in my hand i had 'who put the M in Manchester' dvd. You know the one? Well this bar-maid looked at it and said to me " ohhh yes because the police are starting back up again!" what an idiot! i smiled and said "yes..." I didnt want to embaress her. How could she get mixed up with Sting and Moz??
Yeah anyways, back to my question. I know obviously he was in one of the most influencial bands of all time. I know that he has had success over here and America with his solo career. What i want to know is how much success? e.g. is he popular in other countries? Where did/does his albums make it in the charts?
I need to know this so i can really have a go at my friends when they say "who the **** is Morrissey?"

I went to the pub the other night. in my hand i had 'who put the M in Manchester' dvd. You know the one? Well this bar-maid looked at it and said to me " ohhh yes because the police are starting back up again!" what an idiot! i smiled and said "yes..." I didnt want to embaress her. How could she get mixed up with Sting and Moz??
Yeah anyways, back to my question. I know obviously he was in one of the most influencial bands of all time. I know that he has had success over here and America with his solo career. What i want to know is how much success? e.g. is he popular in other countries? Where did/does his albums make it in the charts?
I need to know this so i can really have a go at my friends when they say "who the **** is Morrissey?"

...:eek: ...*faints* *thump* (hits floor)....

No seriously, i think he is famous EVERYWHERE but only a select few really appreciate this man's art. Tis the way we like it.....I have to admit 2 years ago i didn't know of Morrissey:eek: (and i don't kow how i survived) but i knew of The Smiths. All i am trying to say is no matter what you say to your cretin friends, it won't make a blind bit of difference. They won't understand, but what you should do is invite them all round to yours, get them in the house, lock all doors and windows and play Moz LOUD till they get him, OK?:D

No seriously, i think he is famous EVERYWHERE but only a select few really appreciate this man's art. Tis the way we like it.....I have to admit 2 years ago i didn't know of Morrissey:eek: (and i don't kow how i survived) but i knew of The Smiths. All i am trying to say is no matter what you say to your cretin friends, it won't make a blind bit of difference. They won't understand, but what you should do is invite them all round to yours, get them in the house, lock all doors and windows and play Moz LOUD till they get him, OK?:D

hahaha that is brilliant! Yeah i am going to do that; lock them all up and play a moz album full blast! which one do you suggest? I'm thinking of Viva hate or You are the quarry?

I know that he has had success over here and America with his solo career. What i want to know is how much success? e.g. is he popular in other countries? Where did/does his albums make it in the charts?"

UK Chart Positions for Album

The Smiths - 2
Hatful - 7
Mear Is Murder - 1
The Queen Is Dead - 2
The World Won't Listen - 2
Louder Than Bombs - 38
Strangeways - 2

Viva Hate - 1
Bona Drag - 9
Kill Uncle - 8
Your Arsenal - 4
Beethoven - 13
Vauxhall - 1
World Of - 15
Southpaw - 4
Maladjusted - 8
Quarry - 2
Ringleader - 1

USA Chart Positions for Album

The Smiths - 150
Mear Is Murder - 110
The Queen Is Dead - 70
Louder Than Bombs - 63
Strangeways - 55

Viva Hate - 48
Bona Drag - 59
Kill Uncle - 52
Your Arsenal - 21
Vauxhall - 18
World Of - 134
Southpaw - 66
Maladjusted - 61
Quarry - 11
Ringleader - 27

International Chart Positions For Quarry

Australia: 64
Austria: 24
Belgium: 14
Canada: 37
Denmark: 13
Finland: 8
France: 21
Germany: 7
Holland: 30
Ireland: 3
Italy: 32
Norway: 5
Portugal: 10
Spain: 42
Sweden: 1
Switzerland: 63

International Chart Positions For Ringleader

Australia: 55
Austria: 25
Belgium: 9
Canada: 41
Denmark: 3
Finland: 4
France: 36
Germany: 9
Greece: 1
Holland: 22
Israel: 1
Italy: 15
Malta: 1
Norway: 2
Portugal: 22
Spain: 40
Switzerland: 44

------------------------------------------------------------------------

How's that?

hahaha that is brilliant! Yeah i am going to do that; lock them all up and play a moz album full blast! which one do you suggest? I'm thinking of Viva hate or You are the quarry?

Thank you sweetie......right, lets get down to the nitty gritty.....how many are we talking? Can't have them overpowering you, so if it's just a couple then fine, but if you need a hand, you can call on the masses and we'll help you with reinforcements......I suggest to start, you better go with something outstanding, so yes, YATQ, is fabulous. After that (no break, or you'll lose the mood;) ) i'd stick Live at Earls Court, fantastic album. Show's them how talented and funny the Mozfather can be......so after that...erm....gotta be Viva Hate....by now they should show signs of weakening and becoming fans.....after Viva....i'd go with Kill Uncle........If there is anything i can do just Ask me i won't say 'no' how could I?:D

UK Chart Positions for Album

The Smiths - 2
Hatful - 7
Mear Is Murder - 1
The Queen Is Dead - 2
The World Won't Listen - 2
Louder Than Bombs - 38
Strangeways - 2

Viva Hate - 1
Bona Drag - 9
Kill Uncle - 8
Your Arsenal - 4
Beethoven - 13
Vauxhall - 1
World Of - 15
Southpaw - 4
Maladjusted - 8
Quarry - 2
Ringleader - 1

USA Chart Positions for Album

The Smiths - 150
Mear Is Murder - 110
The Queen Is Dead - 70
Louder Than Bombs - 63
Strangeways - 55

Viva Hate - 48
Bona Drag - 59
Kill Uncle - 52
Your Arsenal - 21
Vauxhall - 18
World Of - 134
Southpaw - 66
Maladjusted - 61
Quarry - 11
Ringleader - 27

International Chart Positions For Quarry

Australia: 64
Austria: 24
Belgium: 14
Canada: 37
Denmark: 13
Finland: 8
France: 21
Germany: 7
Holland: 30
Italy: 32
Norway: 5
Portugal: 10
Spain: 42
Switzerland: 63

International Chart Positions For Ringleader

Australia: 55
Austria: 25
Belgium: 9
Canada: 41
Denmark: 3
Finland: 4
France: 36
Germany: 9
Greece: 1
Holland: 22
Israel: 1
Italy: 15
Malta: 1
Norway: 2
Portugal: 22
Spain: 40
Switzerland: 44

------------------------------------------------------------------------

How's that?

:eek: Fan-bloody-tastic....cheers:D

i think he is doing alright...he hasn't had to 'sign on' since 1982 :D

Thank you sweetie......right, lets get down to the nitty gritty.....how many are we talking? Can't have them overpowering you, so if it's just a couple then fine, but if you need a hand, you can call on the masses and we'll help you with reinforcements......I suggest to start, you better go with something outstanding, so yes, YATQ, is fabulous. After that (no break, or you'll lose the mood;) ) i'd stick Live at Earls Court, fantastic album. Show's them how talented and funny the Mozfather can be......so after that...erm....gotta be Viva Hate....by now they should show signs of weakening and becoming fans.....after Viva....i'd go with Kill Uncle........If there is anything i can do just Ask me i won't say 'no' how could I?:D
I really wouldn't play them Kill Uncle if I wanted to convert them to Morrissey fandom. :eek:

Viva Hate is a good start...then maybe Quarry, I think it would be good for a newbie. then Vauxhall or Your Arsenal.

Well, none of my friends knew anything about Morrissey or the Smiths nor did they like him. They found him to have a strange voice and too naive and simple melodies. I quite liked their attitude, 'cause I managed to make them believe that they weren't ready for that kind of music, and that most people weren't. And as time went by, some of them started to listen to You Are The Quarry (secretly of course). Later they confessed that he's not actually so bad. And now they respect me (and him of course).
But generally people (the ones who do actually listen to good music) here (that would be Estonia) know The Smiths (or at least some of their songs). But not much more. I'd think the number of real fans among younger people would be less than 500. But it's only a guess. And we're a small country too.

Last edited:
I really wouldn't play them Kill Uncle if I wanted to convert them to Morrissey fandom. :eek:

Viva Hate is a good start...then maybe Quarry, I think it would be good for a newbie. then Vauxhall or Your Arsenal.

Kill Uncle is fantastic, i adore that album, but hey personal choice an' all that:p but i agree with all of your other choices.

Well, none of my friends knew anything about Morrissey or the Smiths nor did they like him. They found him to have a strange voice and too naive and simple melodies. I quite liked their attitude, 'cause I managed to make them believe that they weren't ready for that kind of music, and that most people weren't. And as time went by, some of them started to listen to You Are The Quarry (secretly of course). Later they confessed that he's not actually so bad. And now they respect me (and him of course).
But generally people (the ones who do actually listen to good music) here (that would be Estonia) know The Smiths (or at least some of their songs). But not much more. I'd think the number of real fans among younger people would be less than 500. But it's only a guess. And we're a small country too.

Well done you.....you should give international playboy a hand between the two of you you'd convert them.....either full on or rather sneakily either way is :cool:

interesting thread, but of course only a select few will really love morrissey...really do love morrissey...I for one have learned to let them come to me about Morrissey i never force anything on anyone, especially the most beautiful beautiful in the world, meh there is no more to say

Your just being horrible

Morrissey has had different levels of success in different countries but the best you could say is that he's moderately successful in the indie world. Although his chart positions are respectable, he gets very little airplay so the average person will not know any of his songs. His most successful album ever was Quarry which sold about 350,000 in the UK. However, most popular indie bands (Kaiser Chief, Cold Patrol, Frank Ferdinand etc) sell at least a million these days so he's nowhere near that league.
I think Sweden is the country where he's been most successful in terms of crossing over to the mainstream.
However, his biggest impact is probably that of a musical icon. He is one of a very small number of extremely influential singers. He continues to have a huge presence in the music press; if you take any mainstream music magazine (Q, Uncut, Mojo etc) from the last 15 years, his name may well appear more than any others (except the Beatles).
So he's been an extremely influential cultural person but his songs have never really broken into the mainstream. I've course the indie snobs would have it no other way but (unlike the likes of Bell and Sebastian) Morrissey has always wanted to be a proper platinum-selling, number one pop star...

I don't think you can compare Morrissey with new indie bands. These are the sort of bands that sell loads for their first couple of albums and then fall out of favour. They are bound to sell more simply because people haven't had time to form an opinion about them.

I can't think of any indie artist who has had the level of long term mainstream success that Morrissey has.

sooo few people know who he is around here. it's depressing.

I spoke with a Mother today who was looking for song lyric books for her son, who wants to write his own songs and was looking for inspiration. She said his Dad was into the Smiths, so he'd get a good musical education! :)
The Morrissey influence carried from one generation to the next.
Then she asked if there was a lyric book of Morrissey, and as far as I know, there isn't. Anyone know?
I bought the Smiths one just for the words...

I don't think you can compare Morrissey with new indie bands. These are the sort of bands that sell loads for their first couple of albums and then fall out of favour. They are bound to sell more simply because people haven't had time to form an opinion about them.

I can't think of any indie artist who has had the level of long term mainstream success that Morrissey has.

I suppose it depends a lot on what you mean by 'indie'. Morrissey's mainstrem success has been pretty limited. With the exception of Quarry hardly any of his albums have sold over 100,000 copies and some less than 50,000 which is tiny in terms of mainstream success. There are lots of 'artists' who've been going for years who easily sell a million records like U2, Oasis, Red Hot Pepper, etc. I guess other more indie types of his generation might be considered to be bands like New Order who used to sell tons but now sell about as many as Moz.

Moz has been fantastically successful as a cultural phenomenon but pretty feeble as a mainstream musical force...

I'm talking about genuinely independent artists who started in the eighties. When was the last one to have a hit single? Let alone a consistent record of hits.

Back
Top Bottom