How Soon Is Now rtanz008

ordinaryboy86

Unusual Aussie How Soon Is Now 7'' with the green & red silhouette labels. No mention of this on PJLM, Does anyone else own a copy?
hsinoz.jpg
hsinoz1.jpg

Thanks mate, i'm fairly familiar with passionsjustlikemine, and there's no mention of this aussie variant. The Green & Red labels didnt show up on Aussie Smiths singles until late 85' - Passions even states, The Boy With The Thorn In His Side is ''the first Australian Smiths single to have green and red 'man-silhouette' labels'' - Yet here we have an early 85' How Soon Is Now with these silhouette labels.

Please excuse the Star Trek'isms.... but my tricorder is detecting an anomaly.... In all my years of collecting - never seen this whatsoever....
Better close ups please.
Regards always,
FWD.

Thanks mate, i'm fairly familiar with passionsjustlikemine, and there's no mention of this aussie variant. The Green & Red labels didnt show up on Aussie Smiths singles until late 85' - Passions even states, The Boy With The Thorn In His Side is ''the first Australian Smiths single to have green and red 'man-silhouette' labels'' - Yet here we have an early 85' How Soon Is Now with these silhouette labels.
Discogs mentions it here and confirms the date:
https://www.discogs.com/The-Smiths-How-Soon-Is-Now/release/2381404
But hats off as it looks rarer than QID Hungarian picture discs :)
Similar, but the labels differ:
http://www.45cat.com/record/rtanz008
PJLM mentions this:
Australia 7" [CBS RTANZ008]
The 7" sleeve is the same purple one as in the UK, with additional CBS Productions credits and catalogue number at the back. The labels are based on the British ones, in the same colours and text layout, plus additional credits. The record has a solid centre.
Is this close?
Curious,
FWD.

This Charming Man was issued on that label. My friend had it and I haven't seen her in 20 years so no photo unfortunately.

FWD, the How Soon is Now you've linked on Discogs is the New Zealand version.
Butley, if you're talking about This Charming Man with red & green silhouette labels, then you too are referring to the New Zealand pressing. Cumon fellas, i know my stuff, i'm not gonna confuse and Aussie pressing for a NZL.
It only takes a second glace to spot the differences, All NZL 7'' have anti-slip serrations around the label, my aussie pressing does not, Aussie issues have 'Made & Distributed in Australia Under Licence'', the NZL issues do not. Not to mention the text layout is totally different.

These are all Aussie pressings, the HSIN in this set, is as per the PJLM entry, Purple labels similar to the UK version Yet i've just found one with Labels in keeping with all those on the bottom two rows.
ozcollection.jpg

FWD, the How Soon is Now you've linked on Discogs is the New Zealand version.
Butley, if you're talking about This Charming Man with red & green silhouette labels, then you too are referring to the New Zealand pressing. Cumon fellas, i know my stuff, i'm not gonna confuse and Aussie pressing for a NZL.
It only takes a second glace to spot the differences, All NZL 7'' have anti-slip serrations around the label, my aussie pressing does not, Aussie issues have 'Made & Distributed in Australia Under Licence'', the NZL issues do not. Not to mention the text layout is totally different.
Didn't think you were confusing anything. I linked to discogs due to record code, not appearance - my bad.
It does seem to be a genuine one off - so your diligence is to be envied - I'm pleased these type of things turn up just to get the memory banks fired up again. So best guess? A mis-label or undocumented release!? There must be an Aussie collector who knows. Anyone?
Keep digging,
regards,
FWD.
PJLM mentions the promo 7" had the sticker's imagery, but the colours are wrong and there's no promo warning etc... a real head scratcher.

Last edited:
Jeff Pelleiter might know about this. I would send him a message. Do you know his M-solo handle?

Jeff Pelleiter might know about this. I would send him a message. Do you know his M-solo handle?

Hi, jeff has the New Zealand version.
I don't know anyone with these green&red "made and distributed in Aus" labels. Surely there must be somewhere??? Cumon folks??? :confused::confused::confused:

This one is new to me as well..

Back
Top Bottom