How soon is now?Phil Brown edit

Macpaul

I am finding this track rather elusive and wondered if anyone out there knows where to find it (in digital format) or could make it available.
Thanks.,Macpaul.

Sure there is. It's 3:53, and it's a butchery of the song.

The rip I made is pretty crappy, so Macpaul, you can probably find a better one.

So, what was it available on?

Has he just edited those 2 songs...or are there others as well?

Dave

Last edited:
Does anyone know who Phil Brown was (is?)?

Did Morrissey & Marr know him? Like him? Or was he just a producer from the US?

I love the quote (taken from passions....) When speaking of the Meat is Murder album:
Morrissey, March 1985: "The whole idea with 'Meat Is Murder' was to control it totally, and without a producer thngs were better. We saw things clearer."

Was Phil Brown the producer, without whom things were better?...

Now I see it, thanks
http://passionsjustlikemine.com/disc/smiths-d13hsin.htm

I have a copy of the 7" didn't realise it was different, to be honest, I don't think I'd ever played it - so, because you asked so nicely - here it is http://www.sendspace.com/file/q64ojn

Enjoy

Dave
Thanks Dave2006 that was very good of you and the link worked fine.I think though that this version is the standard fade out 7 inch mix 3 min 43secish.
The US only 7" according to Passions clocks in around 3 min 53sec although it is hard to be sure by listening.Nice try though,thanks.
I don't know who the guy was or why he was involved.If I find out I'll post it.

Thanks Dave2006 that was very good of you and the link worked fine.I think though that this version is the standard fade out 7 inch mix 3 min 43secish.
The US only 7" according to Passions clocks in around 3 min 53sec although it is hard to be sure by listening.Nice try though,thanks.
I don't know who the guy was or why he was involved.If I find out I'll post it.

It says that it was edited by Phil Brown on the record label - sorry it wasn't what you were looking for :(

Did Morrissey & Marr know him? Like him? Or was he just a producer from the US?

I don't think Morrissey or Marr had anything to do with it, just as they didn't have anything to do with that single's artwork.

I'm guessing Phil Brown was some minor sound engineer working for Sire or Warner at the time. That mix is very basic, it's just a simple cut and paste job.

Stephane

I don't think Morrissey or Marr had anything to do with it, just as they didn't have anything to do with that single's artwork.

I'm guessing Phil Brown was some minor sound engineer working for Sire or Warner at the time. That mix is very basic, it's just a simple cut and paste job.

Stephane

I think you are right Stephane, although he(Phill Brown) seems to have a pretty good cv. It is a pretty awful cut and paste job I agree, in fact it sounds quite amateurish really but an interesting curiosity.

Hmmmm PHILL Brown is the one credited with working on How soon is now according to discogs http://www.discogs.com/release/556237
Do you think it was actually the other one?

Yes, it's the other one. IIRC, Discogs tries to match names with existing entries, so if the person who submitted this info entered "Phil Brown," Discogs probably asked whether s/he meant to say "Phill Brown."

In my experience, Discogs info is much less reliable than MusicBrainz info, althought though MusicBrainz has more gaps because it's so f***ing tedious to add things like producer & musician credits.

While we're on the subject, I just want to point out that the "artwork" for that single makes me ill whenever I look at it.
Note how the reverse doesn't even mention Phil Brown; if anything, it makes it look like the songs are the LP versions.

Yes the artwork is pretty vile, one has to wonder what on earth the record company were trying to achieve.
Mabye Phill(or Phil) Brown did not want to be connected with the foul up!
Shame, because this is one of the best songs they wrote after all but it kind of sums up The Smiths and the music industry.
Thanks for info for Phil Brown "International man of mystery"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom