How sad are we? Who else has done this?

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
I'm having a splendid evening watching the footy, having a glass or two of booze, and doing something I've been meaning to do for years - sitting down with a coloured pencil and a copy of "By Grand Central Station I Sat Down And Wept", and seeing how many Smiths/Moz original references I can spot. As an example, the very last sentence in the book is the following...'My dear, my darling, do you hear me where you sleep?' For those who care, I'll report back tomorrow. Anyone else sad enough to do/to have done this? Also, who's sat through a Taste of Honey and done the same?

Peter

Last edited:
I'm having a splendid evening watching the footy, having a glass or two of booze, and doing something I've been meaning to do for years - sitting down with a coloured pencil and a copy of "By Grand Central Station I Sat Down And Wept", and seeing how many Smiths/Moz original references I can spot. As an example, the very last sentence in the book is the following...'My dear, my darling, do you heare me where you sleep?' For those who care, I'll report back tomorrow. Anyone else sad enough to do/to have done this? Also, who's sat through a Taste of Honey and done the same?

Peter

Yes, my daughter and I have done the "Taste of Honey Eye-Spy" thing, although it's more often in reverse, while listening to the songs in the car.

I'm having a splendid evening watching the footy, having a glass or two of booze, and doing something I've been meaning to do for years - sitting down with a coloured pencil and a copy of "By Grand Central Station I Sat Down And Wept", and seeing how many Smiths/Moz original references I can spot. As an example, the very last sentence in the book is the following...'My dear, my darling, do you heare me where you sleep?' For those who care, I'll report back tomorrow. Anyone else sad enough to do/to have done this? Also, who's sat through a Taste of Honey and done the same?

Peter

Not with a pencil in hand, but yes I've done that!

Surely y'all aren't advocating writing in books, are you? :eek:

BackToSchool170.jpeg

Thornton Melon: [in college bookstore] Hey, you guys get everything you need?
Jason Melon: Oh, yeah, we got it.
Thornton Melon: Good... Hey! What's with the used books?
Jason Melon: Well, what's wrong with used books?
Thornton Melon: They've already been read!
Jason Melon: Yeah, and they already been UNDERLINED, too. Get it?
Thornton Melon: That's the problem. The last guy who underlined them, he could have been a maniac! Hey, get these guys some new books. Huh? Get some new books, will ya?

I've read the book, and was glad I did - excellent work. Thanks to SPM for the recommendation.

I'm having a splendid evening watching the footy, having a glass or two of booze, and doing something I've been meaning to do for years - sitting down with a coloured pencil and a copy of "By Grand Central Station I Sat Down And Wept", and seeing how many Smiths/Moz original references I can spot. As an example, the very last sentence in the book is the following...'My dear, my darling, do you hear me where you sleep?' For those who care, I'll report back tomorrow. Anyone else sad enough to do/to have done this? Also, who's sat through a Taste of Honey and done the same?

Peter

Me too ... I admit to both (with a highlighter). :o

I watched Saturday Night and Sunday Morning two weeks ago.I didn't write down evey Smiths/Morrissey reference but every time I heard one it made me turn up the sound on the telly.By the time the film was finished the neighbours must have been familiar with it.

I watched Saturday Night and Sunday Morning two weeks ago.I didn't write down evey Smiths/Morrissey reference but every time I heard one it made me turn up the sound on the telly.By the time the film was finished the neighbours must have been familiar with it.

Looking over the telly now, I see a double pack that has free, yes FREE DVDs of both A Taste Of Honey and Saturday Night Sunday Morning that were given away with the Sunday Telegraph (hock, SPIT!) last year. A Moz fan on the staff, do you reckon?

Peter

Looking over the telly now, I see a double pack that has free, yes FREE DVDs of both A Taste Of Honey and Saturday Night Sunday Morning that were given away with the Sunday Telegraph (hock, SPIT!) last year. A Moz fan on the staff, do you reckon?

Peter

Must be a fan on the staff for sure,but I guess it goes to show you the lengths they'll go to so they can sell a few copies of that rag.
Hope that spit didn't hit the telly.:)

going to see moz in ireland next week - when i saw him in newcastle on the quarry tour he mentioned a film that was filmed around the north east of england that was called "payroll" it was not available to buy at the time but it is now ! would it be very sad to buy a copy to give to moz as a belated birthday present ? sarcastic comments excepted !

Peter

i admit i bought the paper for those two dvds , i read the paper the first day and binned it on the second

i used to have a vhs copy of a taste of honey and it had the black and white fuzzy lines at the smiths references ... worn out lol

Well I must admit, I watch his favorite films and highlight the screen when dialogue he's referenced comes on. Everyone needs a hobby.

*shrugs*

Back
Top Bottom