How much would tix cost if Smiths reformed?

Mike Thomas

Just curious let’s say The Smiths did reform for a tour. Do you think the tickets would be astronomically expensive say on the level of the Stones or even more?

Perhaps cheap nosebleed tickets could fetch 400-600 pounds and good seats would easily be 1,000 and up?

The re-sale would be in the thousands, I'm sure it would sell out in seconds.

Just curious let’s say The Smiths did reform for a tour. Do you think the tickets would be astronomically expensive say on the level of the Stones or even more?

Perhaps cheap nosebleed tickets could fetch 400-600 pounds and good seats would easily be 1,000 and up?
Not a chance would tickets go for £400-£1000
Maybe resale etc but normal sale would see pretty much what you see for Morrissey

Stone Roses tickets weren’t highly priced either.

depends how many dates there are,did M not say they were offered 75 million so that figure and more would need to be recouped.

Moz would only get 25% of whatever amount was offered. Why on Earth would he ever agree to reform the band and, in doing so, gift millions to each of the other 3, especially given the state of things back in the day of the split, the court case, and more recently with Marr?
The Smiths box is closed and should never, ever be re-opened, imho.

No, they've never had anything like the appeal of the R Stones.
The Smiths had a huge amount of cultural clout but relatively small amounts of commercial clout.
Massive bands like the R Stones, Queen, Abba, etc. have sold hundreds of millions of albums - The Smiths may not have sold 10 million.
Of course, if they played a small number of relatively small venues, tickets would go for a huge amount but, commercially, they were ultimately just a mediumly successful indie band. In their lifetime, only two of the singles even scraped the top 10.
PS just checked and the R Stones have sold 240m albums - the Beatles 600m. It's just a different scale.

Last edited:
It won’t happen. So make up any old number you like.

Only two people want to reform. The important two never will.

I think it would be expensive and I would like Morrissey to get his share which is about 85% honestly. Morrissey, Joyce and Rourke could do it without Marr since he left the band. But any combination that doesn’t include Morrissey is at best, Johnny Marr with special guests and we saw the others try it already.
He might be a favorite whipping boy but Morrissey is the draw.

People are paying 5,ooo to see Springsteen
I don't think this would ever happen, Morrissey has been pretty clear about that

People are paying 5,ooo to see Springsteen
I don't think this would ever happen, Morrissey has been pretty clear about that
To be clear, it is not Springsteen asking 5.000 usd per ticket for a show, this is the price in the black market.
Although official prices were quite steep too.

If you believe the rumours of extraordinary amounts of money being proposed to Morrissey / Marr for reforming thé Smiths, you would think that at the time, there was the belief that fans would be willing to dig deep into their pocket to see them.
Thanks God, it never happened and I think the moment for reforming the Smiths has now passed, commercially speaking.

To be clear, it is not Springsteen asking 5.000 usd per ticket for a show, this is the price in the black market.
Although official prices were quite steep too.
Yes, I didn't say Springsteen was asking 5,000 but he can make this stop. His manager was asked about it and said Springsteen is worth it - so it would seem he condones this .

In 2020, Crowded House, made an announcement that they did not agree with this dynamic pricing and anyone who paid over face value on a ticket would get a refund to face value per their demand to ticketmaster.

Not a chance would tickets go for £400-£1000
Maybe resale etc but normal sale would see pretty much what you see for Morrissey

Stone Roses tickets weren’t highly priced either.a

In America they may at the Hollywood bowl

But mostly it be about $210

In the uk 125 quid to 210

If they tried to go above 300 quid they would be seen as traitors to their legacy .

Depends entirely on how many tour dates. If it's a full world tour with months of shows - it will still be very expensive (especially the first few gigs), but not cripplingly so. However, if The Smiths did what Led Zeppelin did in 2007 and reunite for one single never-to-be-repeated arena show, then all bets are off. People would literally be willing to sell off their kidneys just to get inside the building, so it would be a touts field day.

are you suggesting they split 40/40/10/10? or 85/10/2.5/2.5?

Back
Top Bottom