How many Smiths/Moz tribute bands are there?

I have seen:
Maladjusted (LA/Orange County) my favorite, but sadly recently changed vocalists)
Sweet and Tender Hooligans (LA/OC)
These Handsome Devils (LA/OC)
Sheilas Take a Bow (all-female tribute; LA/OC)
This Charming Band (SF-based; also play The Smiths/Morrissey convention in Hollywood)
Mexrissey (Mexico)

I also know of but haven’t seen Mariachi Manchester, Nowhere Fast, Smithsfits (Misfits/The Smiths tribute), and Suedehead (San Diego based, I think).

Others will know UK tributes better than I.

If you like The Beautiful South, hop on the bus and go to see Viva Morrissey. Lead man Paul, sounds very much like Paul Heaton, but has gone full term in thinking he is Morrissey. Look out for his statements on Twitter.
All in all, worth a punt.

I can see you're trying to insult them, probably for personal reasons but is it really an insult? Paul Heaton and B South are quite good aren't they? Be less subtle in future, you usually are. Viva are very good, the best I've seen and it's great that they are different to the smiths tribs. Not very fair to diss the band because you don't like paul personally.

also Still Ill based in San Diego.
For those interested, the facebook account We Are Mozzerians posts links to the event pages for every tribute show, Morrissey/The Smiths DJ night, and related events in the LA area.

If I may first blow my own horn - I've begun impersonating Andy Rourke / Gary Day in the Philadelphia and South New Jersey area with these miscreants: https://www.facebook.com/UnloveablePHL/

In return, there's the long-list of cover bands I found while we were thinking up names:
Ambitious Outsider (Morrissey only)
Caligula Blushed (Baltimore, MD)
Dorrissey
Girlfriend in a Coma (Baltimore - RIP)
Hang the DJ (Bari, Italy)
Louder Than Moz
Mexrissey (Mexico)
Morrissey Indeed
Nothing in Particular
Nowhere Fast (CA)
Ordinary Boys (FL)
Panic (Tulsa, OK)
Salford Lad
Smiths Indeed (Manchester, UK)
Still IL (Chicago, IL)
Still Ill (San Diego, CA)
Strangeways
Sweet and Tender Hooligans (LA)
The Handsome Devilz
The Headmasters
The Joneses
The Other Smiths (Manchester, UK)
The Smites (Austin, TX)
The Smiths United
The Smyths (Manchester, UK)
The Sons and Heirs (NY)
These Charming Men
These Handsome Devils (LA, CA)
These Smiths (Manchester, UK)
This Charming Band
Viva Morrissey

The Smithsfits are the only tribute I take seriously. Because obviously it is.

I thought the smiths indeed were good.good sound and a decent singer.

If I may first blow my own horn - I've begun impersonating Andy Rourke / Gary Day in the Philadelphia and South New Jersey area with these miscreants: https://www.facebook.com/UnloveablePHL/

In return, there's the long-list of cover bands I found while we were thinking up names:
Ambitious Outsider (Morrissey only)
Caligula Blushed (Baltimore, MD)
Dorrissey
Girlfriend in a Coma (Baltimore - RIP)
Hang the DJ (Bari, Italy)
Louder Than Moz
Mexrissey (Mexico)
Morrissey Indeed
Nothing in Particular
Nowhere Fast (CA)
Ordinary Boys (FL)
Panic (Tulsa, OK)
Salford Lad
Smiths Indeed (Manchester, UK)
Still IL (Chicago, IL)
Still Ill (San Diego, CA)
Strangeways
Sweet and Tender Hooligans (LA)
The Handsome Devilz
The Headmasters
The Joneses
The Other Smiths (Manchester, UK)
The Smites (Austin, TX)
The Smiths United
The Smyths (Manchester, UK)
The Sons and Heirs (NY)
These Charming Men
These Handsome Devils (LA, CA)
These Smiths (Manchester, UK)
This Charming Band
Viva Morrissey

OK who wants to put all the links in ?

I've never seen a Smiths cover band but my favourite cover of a Smiths track is How Soon is Now? by Built to Spill.

Last edited:
I thought the smiths indeed were good.good sound and a decent singer.

Agreed !
I am from Canada and was working in Manchester a couple of years ago and had the opportunity to see The Smiths Indeed at a local club.

They were excellent, and the room was full of happy dancing fans of The Smiths musical catalogue.
I would definitely enjoy seeing them again.

We have a relatively new one here in Toronto by the name of The Queen Is Dead.

I just saw them on Saturday night and they did a great job.
Again...the room was full of happy dancing fans of The Smiths musical catalogue.

But, I think if I had to choose one that stands out the most, it is the Sweet & Tender Hooligans.
I was working in LA and saw them at a cemetery in Long Beach. It was fantastic. Mostly because of the location and the family vibe, but the band were great and really interacted well with the audience.
I've seen them since in a much bigger and busier venue and loved them just the same.

Back
Top Bottom