How many Smiths, Morrissey books do you own.

whywill

I`ve got six Smiths books and six Morrissey books. I`ve also got the Morrissey new york dolls book but i`m not sure that should count.

I've just got scandal and passion, and all men have secrets.

1) Songs That Saved Your Life (2nd edition) I first read the first edition I borrowed from a friend, then I ordered the 2nd from amazon. When I realized there were significant differences, I photocopied the first edition before I returned it, so I have that, too. The 2nd edition is better BTW.
2) Severed Alliance
3) Saint Morrissey
4) Peepholism
5) Morrissey Shot
6) Morrissey: Albums
7) A Complete Guide to the Music of The Smiths and Morrissey/Marr (Johnny Rogan) - a small book from the edition 'complete guide to the music of...', published in 1995; it's pretty much all the same as his later book "Morrissey: the Albums", only shorter and pocket-size; you don't really need it, but it was the first book on The Smiths/Moz I ever bought, because it was the first I found in a bookstore. It also has many great photos. :)

+ Morrissey wrote one of the essays in "Linder Works 1976-2006", I don't know if that counts.

All of them, as far as I’m aware ;)

Which would you say is the best one you’ve read?
Songs That Saved Your Life. Followed by Severed Alliance.

Morrissey Shot is, of course, a book that consists solely of photos (apart from a foreword by Michael Bracewell), and it's great, but you can find most of the scans online. (It's also out of print but I found it via an online bookstore.) I can't say that Peepholism is absolutely essential (most of that information can be found at passionsjustlikemine website), but it's nice to have (although it's not easy to find and it's far more expensive than the other books, being a glossy big format book). Saint Morrissey is not really a biography, but a very interesting, intelligently written and witty essay on Morrissey's work and persona, written by someone who is obviously a big fan. Morrissey: Albums is OK but nothing spectacular, and it's not nearly as well researched as Songs That Saved Your Life, so you won't find many things you didn't know.

I have the majority of all the books written about The Smiths/Morrissey although still lacking a copy of 'Morrissey - New York Dolls' if anyone has a spare copy they wish to sell.

Managed to find a mint copy of 'Morrissey - Exit Smiling' off e-bay last week for a fraction of what Morrisseymadness wants for his copy and as for Eil, silly price.

I also have a few signed copies of 'Pat Reid - Morrissey' that involved a pleasent evening on a barge in Bristol discussing Morrissey with the author and like minded people whilst consuming lots of beer.

The Smiths - A Visual Documentary (Johnny Rogan)
Severed Alliance
Songs That Saved Your Life (both)
Peepholism (soft)
Saint Morrissey
Scandal and Passion
Morrissey's Manchester (a tour of landmarks - Iron Bridge, Cemetry Gates, SLC etc)

and Johnny Marr - The Smiths and the art....... (which counts, I guess)

You won't ever be tempted to re-read Saint Morrissey, Scandal and Passion or JM's book if that helps anyone

Severed Alliance
Peepholism (soft)
Saint Morrissey
Scandal and Passion
Morrissey's Manchester (a tour of landmarks - Iron Bridge, Cemetry Gates, SLC etc)

Aaaah! I knew I'd forgotten to mention something! :eek: I forgot Morrissey's Manchester - sorry, JJ :o :o

so, it's 8 books then:

1) Songs That Saved Your Life
2) Severed Alliance
3) Saint Morrissey
4) Peepholism
5) Morrissey Shot
6) Morrissey: Albums
7) A Complete Guide to the Music of The Smiths and Morrissey/Marr
8) Morrissey's Manchester

I have read two Morrissey/The Smiths books and they both took me about a day

Songs that saved your live.

someone recommend me another one as i have heard there are many poor ones out there

I have Severed Alliance, Saint Morrissey, and both editions of Songs that Saved Your Life (first edition being much better, imo) and the Smiths Songbook, if that counts. I really wanted to hear good things about the book on Johnny.

But my favorite is the Smiths Visual Documentary. It has the best of both:lots of pictures and diary-like entries chronicling their entire career.

Severed Alliance
Peepholism (soft)
Saint Morrissey
Scandal and Passion

You won't ever be tempted to re-read Saint Morrissey, Scandal and Passion or JM's book if that helps anyone

i disagree about Saint Morrissey - i think it's an interesting read that would benefit at least some fans by a 2nd look. I intend to return to it quite soon (it's about 3 years since I first read it, I think).

I would say that I won't be tempted to re-read the Manchester landmarks book or Rogan's "Moz albums" books.

I only have Songs That Saved Your Life and Saint Morrissey. I need more.

I'm currently selling some of my books via e-bay if anyone is intrested....Since I've read them a few times already I guess it's time to passed them on to others....:)

Peepholism
James Dean Is not Dead
The Smiths Visual Documentary

I would definately recommend "All Men Have Secrets". It's so unique, I've just finished it and I was hooked till the end.

i disagree about Saint Morrissey - i think it's an interesting read that would benefit at least some fans by a 2nd look. I intend to return to it quite soon (it's about 3 years since I first read it, I think).

Fair enough - I'm going on holiday tomorrow and might just pack it. From memory it's a "Finish it in a oner" type book so.....

Back
Top Bottom