How many people supported Mike Joyce's claim at the trial?

butley

Reading again the trial section in Autobiography it is astonishing Mike Joyce won his case. Apart from Andy Rourke how many people backed up his claim? It seems many more people disputed it.

I don't know that it would matter if a hundred people sided with morrissey vs those two. Without the paperwork it seemed like it was gonna only go one way from what I've gathered from those who know more about the law than me

The judge supported him and that's all you really need to know. Joe Moss who I would assume would be the most credible witness you can get, being close to The Smiths at the time as manager yet crucially being outside the band was adamant that the 25/25/10/10 split was agreed by the whole band. Also importantly neither Mike or Andy had a bad word to say about Joe. In other words, his testimony should have carried a lot of weight. How Joyce won that in a legal sense is beyond me. I know Morrissey is at times unjustifiably paranoid, in this case his paranoia had some merit, this was a hit job. Ultimately though everyone (including Moss) failed by not getting this agreement on paper.

What is so astonishing about a drummer who drummed on records winning performance royalties?

What is so astonishing about a drummer who drummed on records winning performance royalties?

Isn't it that he won a larger amount of performance royalties than people involved say he agreed to. That those who do say, long after the fact, that there was no agreement are also those who stand to gain

It doesn't matter. The judge decided. Moz appealed. And failed again. You either buy into justice or you don't.

' justice' ?! :laughing:

I thought Marr said that they probably deserved more, in his book?

from an interview with Marr from the Guardian Oct 29/16...

'Was Joyce justified in bringing the court case? “Mike had a right to do it. I don’t think he should have done because we had an agreement. Looking back, I would have done things differently. I’d make sure you don’t move a muscle without a contract – for everybody’s benefit. Young people aren’t good at doing that kind of thing, and we had to pay the price for it.” Would he still regard the 10% Joyce and Rourke were paid as a fair deal? “I would be more generous,” he says. “But it wasn’t a band of equals. Thirty-odd years later I think anyone can see that.” What would be a fair percentage? He laughs. “You know what? I’d wind up in court if I answered that.”

from an interview with Marr from the Guardian Oct 29/16...

'Was Joyce justified in bringing the court case? “Mike had a right to do it. I don’t think he should have done because we had an agreement. Looking back, I would have done things differently. I’d make sure you don’t move a muscle without a contract – for everybody’s benefit. Young people aren’t good at doing that kind of thing, and we had to pay the price for it.” Would he still regard the 10% Joyce and Rourke were paid as a fair deal? “I would be more generous,” he says. “But it wasn’t a band of equals. Thirty-odd years later I think anyone can see that.” What would be a fair percentage? He laughs. “You know what? I’d wind up in court if I answered that.”

So he accepts they should have recieved more?

' Why are you laughing, you live in the country that acquitted OJ Simpson??' -Surface

EXACTLY ! So just goes to show.... the law can be wrong.

So he accepts they should have recieved more?

no, read again read again, He says... 'I would be more generous' which means a little more than 10 percent but not 25. And he goes on to say.... 'it wasn’t a band of equals. Thirty-odd years later I think anyone can see that.” :tiphat:

' Why are you laughing, you live in the country that acquitted OJ Simpson??' -Surface

EXACTLY ! So just goes to show.... the law can be wrong.

The judge decided (twice)and that's that. However, I wonder what the outcome would have been if Morrissey had shown more humility?

no, read again read again, He says... 'I would be more generous' which means a little more than 10 percent but not 25. And he goes on to say.... 'it wasn’t a band of equals. Thirty-odd years later I think anyone can see that.” :tiphat:

I would have been more generous means they should have received more. And just to be clear I don't think Andy and Mike should have been on 25% but 10% is a piss as take.

I would have been more generous means they should have received more. And just to be clear I don't think Andy and Mike should have been on 25% but 10% is a piss as take.

yes I agree. The problem is that Mike couldn't remember agreeing to 10 percent which M&M said they A&Mike did agree. And I'm sure Morrissey being who he is and what he is didn't help in guiding the judge to lean in his favor. And I wouldn't be surprised if judge Weeks was tipped off to M's anti-royalty stance,etc.

Back
Top Bottom