How many of you are vegetarians?

Re: How many of you are vegetarian's?

I'm a vegetarian.
I became one right before I turned 11 years old. My vegetarian anniversary will be 21 years next month.

I had never heard of Morrissey at that point in my life.
I was impressed to hear he was a vegetarian when I did become a fan.

I eat cheese and butter. I'm lactose intolerant so I don't drink milk. Almond milk is awesome.
No eggs or fish in my diet.

My mom came up with the idea for us to be vegetarians. She's been on every diet known to man. She lasted less than a month then persisted in trying to force my twin and I to eat meat. We had to fight for it. She would not buy anything at the store we could eat and once tried to shove chicken down my throat. She never did cook for us though. We were used to cooking for ourselves by that point. "Whatever you want to fix" was her reply to four kids.
My nurse grandmother had me read her health books to educate myself on what to eat. She always claimed I was anemic even when the doctors said I was healthy.
My twin and I stuck with it anyway.

My favourite smartass remarks about Vegetarianism-
What if you were deserted on an undiscovered island and the only thing you had to eat was a fridge stocked full of meat?
Do you eat pork? Fish? Chicken? Ham? Salami? Fish? Sausage? Hot dog? Well what about hamburger?
Did you know your killing the ozone layer? Cows fart gas.

I'm a vegetarian.
I became one right before I turned 11 years old. My vegetarian anniversary will be 21 years next month.

I had never heard of Morrissey at that point in my life.
I was impressed to hear he was a vegetarian when I did become a fan.

I eat cheese and butter. I'm lactose intolerant so I don't drink milk. Almond milk is awesome.
No eggs or fish in my diet.

My mom came up with the idea for us to be vegetarians. She's been on every diet known to man. She lasted less than a month then persisted in trying to force my twin and I to eat meat. We had to fight for it. She would not buy anything at the store we could eat and once tried to shove chicken down my throat. She never did cook for us though. We were used to cooking for ourselves by that point. "Whatever you want to fix" was her reply to four kids.
My nurse grandmother had me read her health books to educate myself on what to eat. She always claimed I was anemic even when the doctors said I was healthy.
My twin and I stuck with it anyway.

My favourite smartass remarks about Vegetarianism-
What if you were deserted on an undiscovered island and the only thing you had to eat was a fridge stocked full of meat?
Do you eat pork? Fish? Chicken? Ham? Salami? Fish? Sausage? Hot dog? Well what about hamburger?
Did you know your killing the ozone layer? Cows fart gas.

Good story. I had to learn to cook too. Back in 1982, there was bugger all to eat that my mom could afford to buy me since there was 4 of us kids.

I became a vegetarian when i was 13 when my mom remarried. She married a butcher and i was a teenager and wanted to be a little shit so that's what I did. They've been together for nearly 30 years now and he's a great guy, but teenagers like to rebel so that's what I did.

You need to get yourself one of these. I picked up one in a vegan store near my office in London. I think you can print it off. It's full of those lines that wankers come out with when they find out that, horror of horrors, you don't eat meat.

http://vegansaurus.com/post/254784826/defensive-omnivore-bingo

I have it glued to a page in my current diary and pull it out when the subject comes up. Why hide it under a bushell?

The most common one for me is WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR PROTEIN? "Mind your own f***ing business" is one of my less crafted replies.

Keep it up, save the planet, and don't let them preach to YOU about how preachy vegetarians are :lbf:

Last edited:

Good story. I had to learn to cook too. Back in 1982, there was bugger all to eat that my mom could afford to buy me since there was 4 of us kids.

I became a vegetarian when i was 13 when my mom remarried. She married a butcher and i was a teenager and wanted to be a little shit so that's what I did. They've been together for nearly 30 years now and he's a great guy, but teenagers like to rebel so that's what I did.

You need to get yourself one of these. I picked up one in a vegan store near my office in London. I think you can print it off. It's full of those lines that wankers come out with when they find out that, horror of horrors, you don't eat meat.

I have it glued to a page in my current diary and pull it out when the subject comes up. Why hide it under a bushell?

The most common one for me is WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR PROTEIN? "Mind your own f***ing business" is one of my less crafted replies.

Keep it up, save the planet, and don't let them preach to YOU about how preachy vegetarians are :lbf:

Luxury! When I was 13 we ate me mam

I've heard every one of those!
I pretend to cry and call the person a racist if they use the Indian for bad hunter line since my dad was half Cherokee. Then I cry because I never knew my dad.

Luxury! When I was 13 we ate me mam

Your a fine young cannibal. ;)

I've heard every one of those!
I pretend to cry and call the person a racist if they use the Indian for bad hunter line since my dad was half Cherokee. Then I cry because I never knew my dad.

Your a fine young cannibal. ;)

When I go back to Scotland to see my folks, I get asked "Are you still off the meat?"

Has anyone read the Jonathan Saffron Foer book EATING ANIMALS?

I've only read Jonathan Safran Foer's 'Everything is Illuminated' and 'Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close'.
I love the scene in 'Everything's Illuminated' where he goes traveling in the Ukraine and people place a potato in front of him when they learn he's Vegetarian.

Is 'Eating Animals' good?

I've only read Jonathan Safran Foer's 'Everything is Illuminated' and 'Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close'.
I love the scene in 'Everything's Illuminated' where he goes traveling in the Ukraine and people place a potato in front of him when they learn he's Vegetarian.

Is 'Eating Animals' good?

I did enjoy it. I do think its for people at all stages of the debate, long term or short term vegetarians, vegans, people who are considering it etc.

Thing is, I'm not a big evangelist for vegetarianism but if someone is genuinely interested in how I feel and why I don't eat animals or fish, then I will tell them. With Saffron Foer, a bit like his first book, he can tell great stories, in this case about people in the meat industry at different levels, that readers can relate to. And I found that much more satisfactory and informative than anything I have to say on the subject. It's not all sweetness and there are some very rough rides in the book too.

Those images used as the backdrop to the latest tour during Meat Is Murder may not change people's minds about eating meat (and I can't for the life of me think why) but surely they can see that the violence committed in their name against animals has got to stop. This is something that Saffron Foer kinda nailed in the book. It is a book i have tried to pass on, like just about everything I read, but I didn't get many takers sadly.

Did i sound preachy there?

You didn't sound preachy.
Moz kind of did with his Norway attack remark.
People love to bring THAT up now as a reason to be anti-Vegetarian.

I'll have to check out Safran Foer's book.

Why do you hate Shawnxvx? Is there more to it that this latest post?
As for Vegitarianism may I put in my penny's worth?
Not eating meat on a moral basis I think puts you on shaky ground because one would be tempted to ask about other moral questions in your consumerism, issues that affect human beings (which, lets face it, is paramount), like cheap cloths, diamonds, goods from repressive regimes, how about Ipads where the factories in China have had to install nets to prevent the workers from committing suicide!
I think by not buying meat products I am contributing, hopefully, to a trend that will reject cruel practices in this industry.

I have been a vegetarian for over 20 years. I am also a deeply unpleasant person.

When the legendary Mr Reynolds Rareities get hungry and start scratching at the Vault door I often feed them old Cure fans. It makes quite a mess.

Last edited:

I'm rather impressed with the people I housesit for. They've always been conscious of the environment and whatnot, recycling beyond the call of duty, no harsh chemicals, using something until it's threadbare. And they are animal lovers, a dog, three cats, tons of birds and fish, a turtle. But they always had a freezer stocked with steaks and ribs and meat. This time I called when I got settled and she bragged about ordering soy chicken strips for dinner, she knows I'm a vegetarian. And I recommended a burger place to her and she asked if they had veggie burgers, of course, but I know them as meat eaters so I thought they'd want a burger at this place, but she inquired about the veggie option. I just checked in the freezer...some stock for soup, probably chicken, but no meat that I could see. Also where the salt and pepper go is instead a ginormo veggie cookbook with lots of book marks. I think they're transitioning. That's a good thing.

Last edited:

Vegan/Vegetarian-sympathetic/supportive.

I live with my carnivore mother in a suburban wasteland... and I am unable to find even the crummiest of jobs. It does not leave me with many options, so I am not a vegetarian "right now".

My opposition is not with the consumption of flesh or killing animals for food, but with the meat industry's practices of cruelty and overkilling, and the wastefulness of Capitalist society that allows for this for the sake of convenience and clean conscience/hands ("out of sight, out of mind"... Most people would never butcher an animal for the pleasure of eating it, which is immensely hypocritical to me). I have no issue with dumpstering meat though... My justification being that at least it's not dying for nothing to become a post-mortem freegan meal (one of the worst things to me is killing something just to throw it away).

I don't have the cold heart to hunt (or even fish these days), nor do I need to in order to survive. I could do it if it became a necessity, I am sure, but it is not. I find zero pleasure in the prospect of hunting for sport alone. Or even self-reliance. I can grow f***ing turnips and potatoes if I want to be self-reliant.

I'd also like to add the Morrissey has nothing to do with my stance. I made my mind up about these things long before I was into The Smiths/Moz...

I admit, I love the taste of a lot of meat dishes... A LOT... but I could/would and have gladly given them up when I am not depending on others for meals... I am not going to pick off the sausage from a dumpstered pizza though.

Last edited:

Why do you hate Shawnxvx? Is there more to it that this latest post?
As for Vegitarianism may I put in my penny's worth?
Not eating meat on a moral basis I think puts you on shaky ground because one would be tempted to ask about other moral questions in your consumerism, issues that affect human beings (which, lets face it, is paramount), like cheap cloths, diamonds, goods from repressive regimes, how about Ipads where the factories in China have had to install nets to prevent the workers from committing suicide!
I think by not buying meat products I am contributing, hopefully, to a trend that will reject cruel practices in this industry.

I am all about free/thrift/second-hand. I disinfect with peroxide and sometimes don't flush the toilet after every use. I eat out of the garbage too.

I don't even own a f***ing cellphone (nor do I want to), much less, an iPad or whatever the latest trendy techno-bullshit these days is.

I'm a regular pseudo-crustie... I just live with my mom and use her electricity.......... And shower once a week (as opposed to once a year)... and watch too much TV and spend too much time online and almost none outdoors (I blame SOCIETY'S EFFECT ON MY MENTAL STABILITY THOUGH.... that is my PUNX excuse for being an anxiety-ridden shut-in and letting it control my life).

I still buy fish swim-bladder-filtered bum wine and malt-liquor and rollie tobacco too. I am an addict, what can I say?... and I support the pharma industry with my lovely OTC-abuse habit. :) :( :) :(

Still, I do try...

Last edited:
Tags
*check out the b12 deficiency dsitehatesu2 flax is god flax is sexy ihatethissite ii do too just one of me killmeat meat is dinner meat is murder meat stick mmm chicken veggie brigade
Back
Top Bottom